Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
nate6631

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I believe this is my first post on this website. Although I've been a member for a long time, I've never needed to post anything. I live just outside Clarksville, Tennessee and go to college here in town. I was walking around on the university and I see people riding their crotch rockets all the time to and from campus. I wondered how easy and practical it would be to ride my outlaw around town. I found some road tires for the stock rim size for a decent price. I drive my car to school, but I know this thing can go 70+ mph stock.

I have a 2009 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS -completely stock.

Please give me any feedback on whether this could be a good idea, or bad and how pricey it could be.
Kmack

Reply with quote  #2 
Find out if it is legal first. Not legal to have a quad on the street where I'm from.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
nate6631

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmack
Find out if it is legal first. Not legal to have a quad on the street where I'm from.

So this is what I found:

Tennessee

[new2]State Laws
  • All riders (operators and passengers) on three-wheeled ATVs in designated state park riding areas must wear helmets and eye protection at all times.
  • Four-wheeled ATVs are prohibited in state parks.
  • ATV use on highways is prohibited, except to cross these roads.
  • All ATVs must be titled with the owner receiving one identification device that shall be placed on the ATV.
[new2]State Agency that Regulates ATVs: None.
[new2]Training: Click here to learn how to enroll in an ATV safety training course near you!
[new2]Legislation: To viewTennessee's state ATV laws, click here

Source:
http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/tennessee.html

Does this mean that it's not possible?

Also, a little off topic but related in a way, which chain sprocket, front or back and tooth number, will increase the top speed?
05pred500

Reply with quote  #4 
The laws in mn are almost identical to that, and I can't ride mine on the highway, even though it is registered and has a license plate. I was riding it to my high school, and I got away with it for probably 3-4 times, then I got pulled over and was told not to ride it to school anymore.

I'd be willing to bet you'd get some attention from law enforcement.

A bigger sprocket in front, and smaller in back will make more top speed.

2005 predator 558 - falicon supercrank w/ knife rod, ss valves, 12.5:1 wiseco, hpd 558, HMF full system, uni, CFM oil tank, pro design tether, suspension work by Monster Performance, HID light kit, ODI Rouge, Kalis Racing riser, Flexx bars, razr/razr2
Kmack

Reply with quote  #5 
From what I see in the info you provided, you can't ride it on the street in your state.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
nate6631

Reply with quote  #6 
Dang, well that sucks.... "Legally speaking" I live out in the county, and I can tell you I would for sure get attention from basically any cop that saw me. I was at one point going to build a dune buggy and slap some street tires on it and get it plated and such but it was going to be more of a car than anything. I mean, I doubt I could get it modified and re stamped with a new VIN or something to make it technically not an ATV. I think it'd be pretty nice to ride it on the country roads out here. Is there pretty much nothing I can do to transfer it to a different vehicle type or something? For instance I knew there was a certain form for building a dune buggy from scratch. The process involved getting it stamped with a vin number and registered using a form similar to this one https://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1315401Fill-in.pdf .

If it's just not possible at all, whatsoever, then I'll just have to live with that.[fighting0010]
nate6631

Reply with quote  #7 
Also, I came across this if this helps any...

http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/Tennesseelaw.pdf
nate6631

Reply with quote  #8 
And one other thing, I do see people in my town riding dirt bikes converted to street bikes riding in town all over the place. Like 125cc dirt bikes.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #9 
in each state it is either legal or not no loop holes. here in wyoming it is legal it only requires a plate insurance a helmet if under 18 tail light brake light and headlight that is it. i know arizona and a few other states are similar. others just will not allow it.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
nate6631

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOGM5150
in each state it is either legal or not no loop holes. here in wyoming it is legal it only requires a plate insurance a helmet if under 18 tail light brake light and headlight that is it. i know arizona and a few other states are similar. others just will not allow it.

Yeah, I'm 20, if that helps any. I do ride with a DOT helmet and have tail and brake lights that work.

In tennessee i know it's required if you dont have a windshield you must wear a helmet.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
yeah i was just saying what is required in wyoming. i just know some states consider them on road vehicles with the right mods like in arizona i think you need a horn mirrors ect. some states they just do not allow it, they say they are offroad only and they did not come fromt he factory ever street legal. like dirtbikes have some models street legal and some not, if they can be made to match the street legal version it is allowed once titled if not then no chance. some states do not title offroad vehicles at all so no chance there either. if you want to know if they will allow it i would just ask at your local dot dmv or police department. here they say yes and tell you what is required other states they just say no.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
yeah i was just saying what is required in wyoming. i just know some states consider them on road vehicles with the right mods like in arizona i think you need a horn mirrors ect. some states they just do not allow it, they say they are offroad only and they did not come fromt he factory ever street legal. like dirtbikes have some models street legal and some not, if they can be made to match the street legal version it is allowed once titled if not then no chance. some states do not title offroad vehicles at all so no chance there either. if you want to know if they will allow it i would just ask at your local dot dmv or police department. here they say yes and tell you what is required other states they just say no.

Well, I have the title to my ATV in my hands I need to put it in the safe anyways and it has a VIN number on it. Obviously the whole part about the equivalent models for on-road use won't be helpful since the Outlaw is only designed for off-road use anyways.

I don't know if you could decipher the statutes I posted earlier to make an assumption, because i dont understand it really. Here is the link again: http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/Tennesseelaw.pdf

DeViLdRiVeR

Reply with quote  #13 
Utah just changed the laws regarding street use. Here you have to have lights, turn signals, mirror and a horn. I see a lot of SXS's driving around but no quads yet. I may have to be the first.....[happy0045]
nate6631

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLdRiVeR
Utah just changed the laws regarding street use. Here you have to have lights, turn signals, mirror and a horn. I see a lot of SXS's driving around but no quads yet. I may have to be the first.....[happy0045]

The idea sounds great. If good ol' Tennessee will let me, I would be happy to turn this bad puppy into a street quad. But until then, this is all a theory to me. Would anyone suggest emailing my local dmv?

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #15 
yeah i read it and read it again. it basically says no. i think a rzr can be street legal Not on interstate but with half windshield, Blinker kit, Horn and center rear view mirror get your license. i still think an atv all terrain vehicle meant for offroad use is not legal on the street in your state.  in Tennessee where it is illegal to ride a 4 wheeler on any publicly maintained road except to cross it at a 90 degree angle. This is according to TN Code Annotated, Title 55. 

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #16 
i would contact the dmv they will tell you the law for sure.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
i would contact the dmv they will tell you the law for sure.

That's what I'll do. It might just be easier and definite if I go up there and talk to someone. the rzr is more "similar" to a car than the outlaw is. I drive by the DMV every day anyways and will probably go tomorrow. If I'm allowed to do this, should I post the process in which i go about getting this done? maybe a guide or reference for others?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #18 
sure if they give the go ahead post it all up.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

Will do. I should be back on with some answers. Wish me luck.
nate6631

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:

LEO & Others:

Looks like I have good news folks. I called my local DMV and my insurance company, USAA for that matter. They gave me a ballpark estimate of like $20-30 a month on an existing plan. And my local DMV told me, after I explicitly explained it was a four wheeler, said yeah, bring in your paperwork, title and everything we'll register it, give you some plates and you'll be on your way. It has to be road ready though. I kinda fibbed and said it was already to get it out of her if I could do it. She gave me simple checklist: Odometer, turn signals, brake and headlights(already a check), and road tires(although that is not required legally, it is required to me since I don't want to ruin my brand new maxxis tires....)

Now, with that being said, what would be the best Speedometer/odometer combo I can get for this four wheeler? I thought about a trail tech but didn't ever get it. Also, what's the best sprocket combo i can go for? I don't really want to rev out in 5th gear. Also, It's not really related to this it may be needed to be posted inside a new thread, but im having some backfiring issues throttling off of high revs, I got it off of someone and it's always had this issue, I never noticed it when I bought it but i wasnt revving it up real high right in front of him. Can anyone suggest some fixes? Maybe jetting it? I'm not sure if it's ever been jetted really.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #21 
very cool man i am glad to hear it. i think trail tech is the only one with an odometer. i would go to a 15 tooth front sprocket. i would start with jetting to cure deceleration popping.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
very cool man i am glad to hear it. i think trail tech is the only one with an odometer. i would go to a 15 tooth front sprocket. i would start with jetting to cure deceleration popping.

Thanks man. I remember reading one of their products had an odometer but I couldn't find any other brands that I cared for. Which brand/type of front sprocket would you recommend, if I remember correctly there were a few different materials and a brand called Sidewinder? And also what jet kit would you recommend I look into buying?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #23 
sidewinder is good but they are expensive. i am a big fan of rmatv primary drive sprockets. any jet kit will do for me i like the dyno jets but i prefer the stock keihin jets for the outlaw jets r us.com has jets for a few bucks each. if it is stock with the air box lid on the jetting is likely fine. on the rfs engine the head pipe to head collector leaks exhaust like crazy and it the cause of most popping on decel.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
sidewinder is good but they are expensive. i am a big fan of rmatv primary drive sprockets. any jet kit will do for me i like the dyno jets but i prefer the stock keihin jets for the outlaw jets r us.com has jets for a few bucks each. if it is stock with the air box lid on the jetting is likely fine. on the rfs engine the head pipe to head collector leaks exhaust like crazy and it the cause of most popping on decel.

You know, now that you mention it, I do recall feeling some exhaust from the pipe. I thought it might have been the fan since I was riding hard that day. What could I do to fix that if that's that's the case then? And yes the air box is still in tact even with the stock replacement filter.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #25 
weld the header to the collector then use some high temp silicone on the collector to head connection and on the header to slip on exhaust pipe.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
weld the header to the collector then use some high temp silicone on the collector to head connection and on the header to slip on exhaust pipe.

I'll probably get my friend's step-dad down the road to work on that with me. He's a full time mechanic and very very good. I don't think he's done too much four wheeler work but it shouldn't be much different than cars lol.

So that may be the culprit of the popping and such. How noticeable are the performance gains of aftermarket air intakes and exhaust systems? This is my first sport quad and I've done some research but that hasn't really lead me to believe that 3 more horses here and there is too noticeable is it?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #27 
well between a slip on pipe, filter, lose the air box lid and correct jetting i bet you are closer to 6-8 hp gain up top. on a 40hp atv even 4 hp is a 10% increase. it is quite noticeable and gains you a ton of acceleration.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
nate6631

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
well between a slip on pipe, filter, lose the air box lid and correct jetting i bet you are closer to 6-8 hp gain up top. on a 40hp atv even 4 hp is a 10% increase. it is quite noticeable and gains you a ton of acceleration.

That's true. I didn't think about it like that (since cars on the other hand are in the hundreds and I'm not used to the scale factor). Well I'm going to go ahead and purchase some of the parts that will not not be a factor whether I get it street legal or not. I.E. the trail tech and the sprocket.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.