Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
pimpedpredators

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #1 
Went to start my Preddy to go riding Sat. morning and the starter clutch went completely out!I knew this was coming, so I pulled it and replaced it. Then when I tried to start it,it backfired through the intake. I turned up the idle screw a bit and it stopped backfiring, unless you tried to choke it, then it would backfire. I took carb off and cleaned it even though I just cleaned/rebuilt it a couple weeks ago. I checked my spark with a checker,looked good, later put in a new plug just to be sure, same thing! I siliconed a different intake on, thinking vacuum leak, but still same thing!I cant even get a sputter out of it unless i choke it, and that just makes it backfire really bad a couple of times.One time it popped the carb out of the intake boot! I messed with it all day Sat. and all day today. The last time I tried to start it, it backfired through the exhaust! With various carb issues in the past i have been able to get some kind of a different result by cupping the intake tube with my hand, while trying to start it. Like a manual choke, but couldnt get shit!It turns over way better now too with new starter clutch.The cyl. was wet every time I popped carb to check, and fuel at the bowl.I re-did the fuel line,etc..etc.. What really gets me is that I cant even get it to stutter or even try to fire at all. Except for backfire, it sounds completely dead while cranking!! Any ideas?? It has a 05' Keihin "pumper" off a TRX450R and ran fine the day before.
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
cobra131

Reply with quote  #2 
Did you check the drift key is it ok if it is not perfect it will be out of time
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
numero uno if you assume something on a pred............. when did you adjust the valves.......keyway then starter clutch........... but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,depending on what you have done

valves are a big thing on the fuji 

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
I would also guess the woodruff key that holds the flywheel in place on the crank sheared. If it is not that then I would make sure the timing is still on.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
cobra131

Reply with quote  #5 
This is kinda of an off question but what kind of cdi box do you have?
Kmack

Reply with quote  #6 
Stock!!!!!!! The cheap "performance" CDIs tear stuff up, like the woodruff key.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
cobra131

Reply with quote  #7 
Your right kmack I found out the hard way 2 keys and a one way later Leo pointed me in the right direction no problem ever since
jmccans

Reply with quote  #8 
I just had the same problem. It was my new stator. Had to warranty it out.

Reply with quote  #9 
I have been sick this past week so just now replying. I sheared the woodruff key last summer on this quad, due to a Big Gun rev-box, so been there, done that! I am pretty sure that little episode wore out the starter clutch, well that, and its the same one I sheared the bolts out of this winter,so its been abused. Next, the valves are adjusted alright, this is a fresh motor with under 50 hours. When I got this one it wouldnt start/run due to valve adjustment, so I know the symptoms of valves being out of adjustment. Even as far off as they were, I could still get it to stumble and try to start. It was running awesome you guys, I had it out 3 times with new carb set-up and had just got the kinks out. It was evident that the starter clutch was WORE out!, once I was able to really look at it. No suprise, I had a good spare, so just put the new one on, closed it up, added oil, and while I was trying to prime it, it just would not fire. That is what is eating at me, it just turns over(much better/faster than before!) with exception to the occasional back-fire, it sounds like a motor that is not getting spark and/or fuel, or is way out of time. What could I have done to it in the course of doing a simple starter clutch replacement? It was running great immediately before that. I pulled valve cover and watched valves, they arent stuck. Also seems to have low compression now. Its pointing towards a timing issue to me, thought I may have bent the valves while changing starter clutch, but I have a remover tool and a big electric impact wrench, it removes the nut with very little torsion and the actual clutch comes off with no torsion at all. I have exhausted all my ideas, guess I will drain my fresh oil,pull cover and clutch again. THIS BLOWS!!! Im supposed to be working on my BB558, not this one!
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #10 
What was wrong exactly, with your new stator? Do you know?
jmccans

Reply with quote  #11 
not sure but they warrantied it and I changed it out and it fired right up

Reply with quote  #12 
UPDATE!! Turns out it was the woodruff key! I didnt get the flywheel all the way on the crankshaft, it pushed the key out the back of flywheel. It was still in the groove, but wouldnt let it go on all the way!! Going to dunes today to shake it down!!  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.