Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #1 
I think I already know the answer to this, but just to make sure: Will the 525 motor run without a TPS? Mine seems to have broken off, and now the motor just won't start. Is there a way to bypass this, or am I screwed until I can find a replacement part?
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #2 
Are you referring to TPS or TORS (aka TSS or ETC)?  Many people get these two systems confused.

In carburated atv applications TPS (throttle position sensor) input is used in conjunction with engine RPM to determine ignition timing and improve throttle response.  If broken or disconnected, your ignition timing will be off which could affect drivability.
The TPS sensor is on the side of the carb. 

The TORS system is a throttle safety switch that kicks in if the throttle at the carb sticks wide open when you take your thumb off the throttle lever.
If you are talking about the TORS, then you should be able to unplug it and run fine.  The TORS switch is located in the throttle housing on the handle bar.  It has been known to cause problems if out of adjustment or broken.  If you follow the electrical wires down to the plug under the front hood, you can disconnect it there.

If it is the TPS, I would also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks caused by the broken parts, or collateral damage from whatever broke the TPS.

Reply with quote  #3 
I've bypassed the throttle safety. It's the TPS that's broken. It isn't on the side of the carb anymore - it's on my desk haha. Though, you explained what they both do, you didn't expressly say whether it would run or not, considering everything else is favourable.
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #4 
There used to be guys who would disconnect the TPS under the myth that you could get an extra horsepower or so.  The motor would run but it was pretty much proven that other drivablility problems such as detonation and heat could result.  I don't recall them saying that the motor wouldn't start. 

Reply with quote  #5 
I've had the carb off and forgot to reconnect the tps and honestly didn't notice any difference. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

I found the no start issue with my Outlaw - there was an air bubble in the fuel line. I took the carb apart, and when fuel didn't drain from it, I figured it was the fuel pump. Took the fuel pump apart, and there wasn't anything wrong with it - only that the bellows were dry. From there I took the lines out and blew air through them, and there was a bit of a pop when I blew through the on/off switch. Put everything back together, turned it over a few times and she started right up!

PS
The TPS sensor isn't on the bike right now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.