Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
K_Dude97

Reply with quote  #1 
So I own a 08 outlaw sra and my dad owns a 08 outlaw irs, he has decided to buy a rzr so my question is should i keep my sra or sell it and take the irs. the sra has a fmf 4.1 with header intake etc minor mods but has a very rattly engine that stops when the clutch is let out idk if that is a problem or its just a rattly engine, the irs has the same minor mods like an slip on hmf with airfilter etc the engine seems to run better than the sra what do you guys think? i mostly ride in sand and trails. 
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
Take the IRS. If in doubt, ride them both back to back on bumpy terrain and the IRS will be the clear choice. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #3 
I suppose it depends on where you ride the most.  If its mostly rocky or rutted trail riding, long weekend rides, technical trails, or just general recreational riding, I'd get the IRS.  If you are more "competitive" and went to the track, or pretty smooth trails (or dunes), or even drag racing I'd go with the straight axle.  
... also as you get older the softer ride of the IRS will become more important. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I can get around in the choppy stuff no problem on
a straight axle.....Here's my take.....I'm an old guy
getting ready to retire, but ain't ready for a couch
with a motor.....I'd swap the better motor into the
SRA, and peddle, or part out the IRS.

Reply with quote  #5 
Fuj, the 08 motors don't swap.  The cases are different.

If you really don't care about which one you keep, put both of them up for sale and see which one you get the most money for.  If I was a gambling man, it would be the SRA since not many people want an IRS sport machine. 

If I were to keep one for what I do and condition was the same with both, I'd choose the SRA.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Your probably right Nick. I seen they were both 08's
and assumed wrong. But either way, we both know
they can be swapped, just need to add more beer to
the equation.....LOL

Reply with quote  #7 
It is interesting, but for me there is nothing that my IRS can't do as well or better than my SRA quad.  I ride mostly sand dunes with the occasional trail.  On a busy/choppy weekend the IRS is a godsend.  Solid axles beat me up.  I run Sand Skate II's and my IRS handles as well as my 400 (even better in many situations), rides smoother, and lets me ride longer without feeling like I spent all day getting punched in the kidneys.  Yes there is more maintenance on the IRS, but for me it is worth it.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Well here's something else to think about. Sell the SRA
like Nick mentioned. You may get more. Then get one
of my adjustable sway bars for the IRS and be close to
the best of both worlds !! (shameless plug.....LOL)

Reply with quote  #9 
Fuj, I think you have a year or two on me, but I feel the same way. I much prefer the S model to the IRS. Besides, IRS reminds we way too much of government intervention, then I get all pissed off. LOL!!!! So......One day when I've fallen and almost can't get up, I just might get up and get on an IRS. I know this will probly offend several people, but, at my age, HA!! I really don't care!!! LOL!!!!

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #10 
This is an interesting debate here... lol

I would think the IRS would be a better trail quad even if it weren't IRS.... before you start thinking Ive lost my mind (which may or may not be true)... I think if the rear of the IRS was welded solid and pivoted like a straight axle swing arm quad it would still be a better trail quad design just due to the extra ground clearance. 

Some buddies and I were out riding last fall, the guy leading was on a 700xx, and then a friend of mine was on a kfx450 quad, then me, then a raptor.  We were running along at a pretty quick pace when suddenly the guy on the kfx450 just stops, no warning, and I lock up my brakes and end up sliding around him.  We stop to see what happened, and my buddy looked pretty surprised, but he had caught a large rock on the rear end and it flat stopped him.  I know the IRS has it own problems with weight, complexity, and torn boots... but I haven't ever had anything happen like that.

Having said that... and playing devil's advocate... the straight axles are easier to lengthen for racing, they weigh less, less complex, and they jump more level (my IRS jumps nose high most of the time). 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Kmack

Reply with quote  #11 
See there, get a straight axle, if your buddy had been going faster he would have just slid right over the rock. Ha!! But really, opinions are just like.........well,anyways, everyone has one. Every machine has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Ride what makes you happy and fits your style, ride it hard and fast and have a good itme, that's what it's all about.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
Deadman

Reply with quote  #12 
Forget what everyone here thinks and keep whatever one you like better!  [smile]

Reply with quote  #13 
I love my straight axle.. But truly in my opinion you should pick the bike that you are more comfortable with.. Nothing is worse than having to ride a bike that you don't feel comfortable and are not confident with..
          K&N Full Air Filter
[3895E9D9-C0BA-4A0F-9DC1-930DCCB7F619_zpsih6gc06e] 
Xpred

Reply with quote  #14 
Keep both of them.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.