Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
grip-it-and-rip-it

Reply with quote  #1 
just picked up a 2013 ttr110 for a little pitbike. i was cleaning the airfilter and when i opened up the airbox about 100ml of oil poured out. i figured out why the airbox has oil in it because these little ttr's come stock from yamaha with the crankcase vent hose leading right into the airbox. i was wondering if i reroute this crankcase vent house somewhere to the bottom of the bike out of the way so when the bike gets tipped over or wheelied,, etc the oil would just drain out of the line and cause no problems? would this be a bad idea? would the bike be loosing oil everytime it would be wheelied or leaned over? also do you guys think the oil that travels up to the airbox re enters the motor at anytime? any help would be appreciated thanks
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
most machines have the crank case vent into the airbox. yes if the oil is too high or the machine is on end or tipped for a long period of time oil will drain into the airbox. i have never seen oil come from the airbox and go back to the engine. it is pretty common to route the crank case vent outside the airbox. most people will put a small clamp on air filter or one way valve in the hose to avoid getting dirt in the engine. usually it loses vary little oil. if the routing is just down hill it will lose more oil faster. if you can rout it up hill to a higher point then down it may stop oil loss altogether.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What I did on the Scrammy was to put a catch bottle
in the air box, then extend the vent line to that. I did
not want to vent to the outside since that vent is part
of the crankcase vent system and needs that little bit
of vacuum......Every couple of rides I'd check the filter
and dump any oil collected in that bottle.

Reply with quote  #4 
I like the catch bottle idea.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.