Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
deuce01

Reply with quote  #1 
Last month I found that I needed a new tie rod end for my 06 Predator. Well, after i ordered 2 new ends from Flee Bay, they did not fit mine. Same size and would start but new ones were fine thread and old ones are course. So I went to my local "Stealer" and ordered the tie rod center link. When i got it, I put the new tie rods on the new link, everything fit up perfect. Took off the old link and it is 3"+ longer than the new. I know the new Rod and end are for my 06. I looked up the part numbers and verified my self. I now that alot of the front end of my predator has been changed.  Prob flipped sometime before i bought it. Could someone have put different A arm and tie rods on it when they rebuilt it after the crash? I dont know what parts they could have used except maybe from an 07.  I noticed that they are a diff number. Could someone with an 07 measure there tie rod for me.  Either pin to pin or just the linkage. Just let me know. Im $60 in to repairing the front end and have got now where.
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #2 

Do you have the Pro steering setup yet?  They can be converted to the 07 setup.  Also, what arms do you have?

Reply with quote  #3 
Not that I know of. Only thing I am sure of is that I have an 06 that an 06 tie rod end is way to short for. Is the 07s longer
Dunph

Reply with quote  #4 
hard to understand. i think you mean the rod itself is longer? or the threads on the tie rod ends? the 07 had no center link and the rods themself were longer. i believe they use the same ends...  pro steering had 0_--_0 , gen 2 had 0_-_0 , and 07 had 0__ __0 if that makes sense. also, someone may have ordered new ends from a place such as mcmaster.com they make things like that for many different applications. do you have a center link and idler arm on yours? how about a picture?
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
deuce01

Reply with quote  #5 
Don't have a pic on me but I can get one. The new rod its self is 3" shorter. The new ends look the same as the old but with a diff thread pitch. The center on mine is about a 2-3" flat plate welded to the stem if that helps any.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #6 
Those are homemade. The stockers have a pressed flat spot. Your best bet is to invest in some quality aftermarket ties with hiem ends. I finally need one new end after 4 hard years and crashes
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
deuce01

Reply with quote  #7 
I dont think they are homemade. Mine looks just like the stock that i bought.  But i think i have answered my own question.  I looked at the parts diagram and mine def has the 07 stem in it. It dont have the little short links that the 06 has. It has just the flat plate welded to the stem that the tie rods that come from the spendal hook right to the steering stem.  Some one must have swithed them out or something. Or the 06 i see on the Barcode on the frame is the Manufactur date and the bike is really an 07
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #8 
Yeah, some 07 model year quads were built in 06.  Let me guess, your reverse lever is near your throttle?

Reply with quote  #9 
Sure is. Guess that explains alot.  With all the miss matched parts i figured the steering was also.  Thanks for your help
Dunph

Reply with quote  #10 
glad you got it figured out! I thought you meant there was a plate welded to the actual tie rod
2016 2500hd
Commi-chusetts
deuce01

Reply with quote  #11 
I had no idea that the 06 and earlier (or any model ever) had the double link tie rods. I'm sure it was to help with bump steer, or that was the idea anyway.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #12 
It did but the parts wore too quick
2016 2500hd
Commi-chusetts
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #13 
they don't wear out if you bricktucky mod the pro-steering arms and use a grease gun needle for the center links. I popped off the inside dust shields on the pro-steering arm bearings then tapped the arms and installed grease zerks.i also drill a very small hole in the spacer between the two bearing, so the bolt that holds the arm to the pro-steering gets some grease and doesn't rust/ seize . I can now grease the bearings. I also modded the center post bearing snap ring. ive busted out the snap ring before on a flat landing jump from a pretty hard landing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.