Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Real Stark

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys wanting to buy My first Real MANLY ATV , and im thinking of getting a real clean 06 Outlaw 500
, Any Common issues I would get if I Bought this quad, and what are the PROS and CONS to this Bike, Thinking of making it a daily machine Would probs use it 1-3 hrs a day, not riding anything rough just some woods and roads, SO Please let me no any negatives or common issues with this machine! THANK YOU
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
I only have experience with the 525 outlaw, and on it the wheel bearings and hub bearings should be checked and when they go, replaceme the hub bearings with a good brand name Japanese, German, or American bearings.  On the front wheel bearings replace them with a taper bearing kit. 

I do have  Fuji 500 motors in a scrambler and a sportsman, and they seem pretty indestructible only needing oil changes regularly and the valves set every couple years. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Real Stark

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
I only have experience with the 525 outlaw, and on it the wheel bearings and hub bearings should be checked and when they go, replaceme the hub bearings with a good brand name Japanese, German, or American bearings.  On the front wheel bearings replace them with a taper bearing kit. 

I do have  Fuji 500 motors in a scrambler and a sportsman, and they seem pretty indestructible only needing oil changes regularly and the valves set every couple years. 

Alright That's Nice to hear thanks, So if I would doing full maintnence monthly keep the quad at good health if I were to daily it and About how Much are 06 Outlaws now a days?

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
The 500 outlaws are usually allot less as the 525 outlaws.  Personally, I think the 500 is probably a better choice for low maintenance trouble free riding.  It doesn't have the power of the 525  so its probably easier on chains, sprockets, and hub bearings but enough torque to make trail riding fun.  Most of the 500's had Fox shocks which are better than allot of the 525's came with (Ryder FX).  Get one and have fun.   

Real Stark

Reply with quote  #5 
Alright thanks man definetly gonna pick one up then , thanks for the advice my first mods are gonna be changing the bearings out and adding a trailtech vapor to it, any mods you would recommend?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
My fav mod was a Rekluse clutch, but I don't think they were ever made for the 500 motor.  :-(

When youre inspecting it, grab the rear sprocket and brake disk and move it back and forth and see if there is any play, that's where you'll get an idea of the hub bearing condition.  You don't want to ride it too much if those are bad as it can cause the chain to come off and can cause engine case damage. 

The taper wheel bearing kit for the front hubs are a great investment.

If I knew what the terrain was you were riding and the style of riding I might be able to offer some other suggestions. 

Real Stark

Reply with quote  #7 
Alright thanks for the suggestions I am gonna mostly be doing pavement riding but also gonna be blazing through the woods the conditions are really not that rough, roughest driving is be doing would be, crawling so dry rivers and passing by probably tire high water
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Riding on pavement is something I don't get to do very often but if did I think I'd take all of the preload off the springs so there was just enough tension to keep the spring keepers from falling out.  That will lower the quad a little.   If you find it "diving" a little too much cornering on the street you can set the front shock compression setting about 1 click out form all the way in.  If that still doesn't fix it, then maybe try a stiffer front spring.  Stock is 120lbs/in, you could try a set of rear springs on the front (they are 135lbs/in) (you can probably find them on ebay cheap).  It may "Push" through corners more off road or on wet surfaces with the stiffer springs... I don't really know.   There also used to be a guy that sold stainless hd rear sway bars that would solve some of the "push". 

Real Stark

Reply with quote  #9 
alright man will sure be testing a lot to ensure a safe and fun setup, what would you recommend powerwise? what mods could help me make a bit more power or ensure the quad is running at its full potential?
Real Stark

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
My fav mod was a Rekluse clutch, but I don't think they were ever made for the 500 motor.  :-(

When youre inspecting it, grab the rear sprocket and brake disk and move it back and forth and see if there is any play, that's where you'll get an idea of the hub bearing condition.  You don't want to ride it too much if those are bad as it can cause the chain to come off and can cause engine case damage. 

The taper wheel bearing kit for the front hubs are a great investment.

If I knew what the terrain was you were riding and the style of riding I might be able to offer some other suggestions. 

can I get a link on where to buy the taper wheel bearing kit please?

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
https://www.bossbearing.com/Upgrade-p/atv-1544.htm

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Power mods. Exhaust, upgrade the carb TO a FCR, intake track improvements,

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.