Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Tr0utbum

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone!  I just picked up an 08 IRS and need to freshen it up a bit.  First off, I need to replace the worn out light coil springs on the front shocks.  The main coils seem to be ok, but the light coils are completely collapsed and aren't doing a whole lot.

Anyway, This is my first post and I want to say thanks for all the info and knowledge that you have on this site.  It is because of the community here that I decided to pick up this Outlaw.  I would have probably passed it up otherwise.

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but this is the item of the day from me.

Thanks! 

Vic in Utah
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
CALL IAN AT MONSTERPERF.COM HE WILL GET YOU ALL SET UP

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #3 
Just an FYI, the light coil or tender springs are already bottomed out from the factory on the 2008 Ryde FX shocks.  It seems to be the way Polaris spec'd them.  It was supposedly to allow for suspension to drop into holes, but obviously does nothing to act as a two stage spring for compression.  The 09+ Fox shocks have a more traditional two stage spring setup if that is what you prefer.  Either way a good shock builder can get the most out of your shocks.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkangel
Just an FYI, the light coil or tender springs are already bottomed out from the factory on the 2008 Ryde FX shocks....

Oh, that is good to know!  I had assumed that they had collapsed from use.  

It seems foolish that they would design the suspension that way.  The main spring will be under load, and unload in a hole before the tender spring would have time to respond.  The main spring and gravity, I would think, would do more than the tender spring could.  
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr0utbum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkangel
Just an FYI, the light coil or tender springs are already bottomed out from the factory on the 2008 Ryde FX shocks....

Oh, that is good to know!  I had assumed that they had collapsed from use.  

It seems foolish that they would design the suspension that way.  The main spring will be under load, and unload in a hole before the tender spring would have time to respond.  The main spring and gravity, I would think, would do more than the tender spring could.  

Yep.  They do the same thing on the RZR 1000's, and we've had several customers mention it as well.  Fox and Walker Evans have claimed that they just provide the shocks, while Polaris specs and sources the springs.  Not sure how true that is, but it would make sense if they did the same with Ryde FX. 

There used to be a thread here somewhere that talked about the various springs, rates, and combinations Polaris used on the Outlaw over the years.

Reply with quote  #6 
That would have most likely been me.  Should be buried here somewhere.

Yup, they are a zero preload setup.  Only there to reduce ride height but keep a long travel for jumps and such.  60lb/in is what the 06-08's were.  09's and up had 140, 160, or 180lb/in depending upon the application.  I feel they ride a bunch better with one of the 09 springs up front (140's is what I have).

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.