Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
1998ls1ss

Reply with quote  #1 
After 8 years of complaining about the crappy suspension in the outlaw, its time for an upgrade. 

I picked up some 450MXR shocks with ressies and a 03 predator rear shock.  Will my rear shock be just fine once shortened? or is the spring rate better on the 03 for a 190 lb rider?

I was going to have IAN at monster performance suspension dial them in.  I'm sure he will have great advice but what are some successful setups you guys have. 

Is a re-spring required for a 190 lb rider? Shorten? and of course a re valve. 

We ride some trails, but spend lots of time on the dunes and especially the drags....so keeping the front end down is important. 

Thanks in advance.

2014 1000 rzr4- toys for big boys radius cage. 5 point seat harness.

1998ls1ss

Reply with quote  #2 

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #3 
I can't tell you much about the rear of an outlaw S, because I have only messed with the IRS.  But on the front, I recommend you either have Ian shorten your front shocks about .5 - .75" (whatever he can cut them without losing travel), or relocate your shock mounting bolt on the a-arms and leave the shock length alone (I wouldn't do both).  I recommend you set them about 35-45% Race sag (about 3.5"-4.5")...I'd guess closer to the 35% for serious jumping. 
  I cant really recommend spring rates as they seem to be all over the board with what people here are using... which might be due to their weights, riding style, and terrain.  I'm at 185 and have pretty good luck w/125 main spring (stock is 120# main) and a 225# top spring with about a 3/8" crossover gap, but I trail ride without allot of really big jumps (however I did try my hand at a Scramblecross race last weekend that got me 5 or 6 ft in the air, and I only felt them bottom out one time that I landed wrong).  You might try a 130-140# main  (Note- a stock rear IRS springs from 06-08 is 135# if you can find someone to donate you a pair)  if youre a MX guy.  
  I hope that gets you started.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
1998ls1ss

Reply with quote  #4 
I was thinking about doing the front relocation of the fronts in conjunction with shortening the shocks but I guess I won't need to. thanks for the advise.

I guess my biggest concern right now is to know if my rear shock has the same potential as the 03 predator shock. Then I could sell the predator shock and put the money into mine.

And does anybody have any info on the zero preload setups??

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.