Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
outlawsam

Reply with quote  #1 
I just rebuilt my outlaw and got the valves were the should be and now the bike wont idle at all and takes a while to start
If i keep the throttle held a little open it runs but not great but if i can get it started and keep thr throttle at leadt quater open it will run by the way it ran fine all through the break in period and for my first 20 min ride
Bings outlaw

Reply with quote  #2 
Did u have ur slide out carb heard of guys putting in slide backwards or plate on upside down. Also check the gasket oring on slide plate if u used any carb cleaner may have swelled. Or pilot circuit may be plugged,Just a few things to check
outlawsam

Reply with quote  #3 
Problem is I didnt touch the carb i was wondsring if where its a 540 now if that would affect the carb? Either way i should probably clean the carb anways
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Have you checked compression? Is it a sleeved cylinder? If so who did the sleeve?  How did it start first time after it was put together ? You say through 20 min break in ride? So I assume it was fine until after cool down , correct ? . If this is the case, this is why I asked about compression, and sleeve etc.

Reply with quote  #5 
I havnt checked conpression it isnt sleeved it started right up with in 3 cranks the first time. The 20 min ride it ran great up untill i was almost home i popped a couple wheelies and then kept driving i pulled into my drive way and she started running hard and then it quit running
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
I can throw out some ideas to check. 
Maybe if it was setting for awhile while the motor was apart the gas formed some deposits in the carburetor (don't laugh, it doesn't take very long these days even with stabilizer).  On mine it like likes to make my float needle "weld" itself in place after about 6 weeks.  After that it seems to go after my pilot jet.  Be careful using the carb cleaner around the slide, as it messes with the o-ring inside of them.
  Id' put fresh gas in it....

Also remember that if you went from a 450 or 525 to the 540 bore, it will make a difference in jetting ...  If you didn't change anything else (cam/exhaust/head work) you may need a smaller pilot jet or adjust the screw in some.  You may need to adjust or change the needle and main as well, but for now its an idling problem so lets work on that. 

If that doesn't help pull the rocker arm covers and check clearances... its possible one of the nuts came loose and backed off... but its a good time to double check the clearances either way.

Of course it could be something simple like a bad spark plug. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
outlawsam

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks guys im pretty sure its the carb cuz i havnt touched it and it has a new plug but another question i went riding(its out of break in stage) and i did a speed run and it was topping out at 56mph on the gps but it was getting to that speed in seconds whats the deal?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Its possible someone has changed gearing. Do you know what rpm the engine was at topped out? Also you may want to count the teeth on your front and rear sprockets. Also what size rear tires are you running and what surface were you testing on?

outlawsam

Reply with quote  #9 
It has a 14t front and not sure about the rear i have 19in rear tires and i was running on tar. The engine wasnt bouncing off the liniter but it was revving pretty high
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawsam
It has a 14t front and not sure about the rear i have 19in rear tires and i was running on tar. The engine wasnt bouncing off the liniter but it was revving pretty high

With a 540 engine and running on tar you should easily "bounce off the rev limiter" in 5th.  I'm thinking you have some tuning to do.  After your next high speed run, pull in the clutch and kill the motor.  Coast to a stop and pull out the spark plug and see what it looks like.  They color a little whiter than they used to in the old days, but if the plug is bleach white you may want a bigger main, if its dark brown or black you may want a smaller main jet. 

outlawsam

Reply with quote  #11 
Alright hey thank you for all your help!
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #12 
Also, while you are in there, check the intake boot between the carb and head.  These have been known to crack, and that will screw up your jetting.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.