Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
glennyd

Reply with quote  #1 

Purchased a stock 2007 525 Outlaw. Runs but has a rough erratic idle when choked. Cleaned the 39 FCR in and out, reassembled and still runs rough cold and warm. When warm and off choke it seems to hunt for rpms. Has a dead spot off idle to mid-range. When warm the dead spot seems to go away, but perhaps occurs from time to time. Why??

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #2 
If you're sure the carb is functioning as is should, then I would check for air leaks between the carb and motor.  The intake manifold boot has been known to crack/split from time to time.

Reply with quote  #3 
What is the needle code?  What position is the needle in?

Reply with quote  #4 
See if your intake boot is cracked. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
glennyd

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes after a little bit of research I realize the intake boot is most likely the problem. I'll have to pull the carb and assess the boot/connection more carefully. Thank you for the technical assistance. I'll let you know how it turns out.
glennyd

Reply with quote  #6 
The needle and pin setting is aligned with factory specifications, needle is at setting five. I'll check the boot and replace if necessary before I change anything with the carb.
glennyd

Reply with quote  #7 
Problem solved! I replaced the rubber intake boot and still no change with running issues. Finally I removed the K&N air filter I installed and replaced with stock filter. It runs as if its a new machine! Idles, great acceleration, and awesome top end. I realized it was breathing so well with K&N filter that more air than gas was entering motor.
The question is if I want to run the K&N I'll need to re-jet the carb and reposition the needle. Has anyone done this?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
I  don't what all mods you've done so far, or the altitude you're at, but if its just an air filter change and you're under 2000', you can probably go to a 155 main jet and raise the needle one notch and everything will be fine.  They were a little lean from the factory to begin with and your filter may have been enough to make a noticeable problem.  While you're at it, do the O-ring mod to the A/P linkage. 

glennyd

Reply with quote  #9 
Quad is stock. All original equipment, jets etc. It does seem to run a little lean and perhaps I could try a larger jet and raise the needle up one notch. It is pretty amazing though how an air filter can drastically affect the way it runs. I'll try the A/P linkage O ring mod as well. Thanks for your help.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #10 
A few years ago I had an old Suzuki 250S that ran pretty good.  I was trying to get it ready for a riding trip with some friends and I ordered a K&N filter to replace the old stocker.  Well It came in the day we were about to leave so I put it on just before we left.  When I got there I found that anything over about 3/4 throttle it would pop and back fire (and of course all my jets were at home and no places were open in Mena on a Sunday to get more).  I ended up raising the needle and loosening the throttle cable so I couldn't give it more than 3/4 throttle and rode it like that for the next couple days.  When I got back I went up 2 main jet sizes and it ran better than it ever had.  The K&N can be a real air improvement over some of the stock setups. 

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #11 
I had an Outlaw 500 do this. The K&N air filter was over oiled. Washed it out with fuel, because I was at the riding spot with no extra air filters. After running gas through the filter, the quad ran great.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #12 
i know all too well about over oiled filters... as for the needle, find out what it is. nick is prob on to something. 5th position... from the blunt end?
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.