Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #1 
So I bought a Predator thinking..."Wow that's cheap....I'll buy that, spend as little money as possible to make it run well...then thrash it". Here's the story what's happened, what is happening and what I hope will happen.

In my youth I rode an Suzuki LTF-160 and rode it to within an inch of its life - probably to within an inch of mine too but hey I was 16 and I bounced well! Then I grew up, left home (with a garage) and embarked on a career and left that ATV/quad bike world behind. Now I think I've hit some mid-life crisis (at f*ing 30 years of age)... There's an 04 Polaris Predator 500 in my dad's garage in Ireland and suddenly I'm haemorrhaging money because I like making things shiny.

I'm 330 miles away from it in the UK, remotely funding and managing the project while working on it when I fly home for my holidays. My dad's in his element....all the fun of a renovation project without the financial downsides.

I found my FIRST predator on an Irish classified whilst at home holidaying there on a website for about $700. This is it....
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #2 
According to the guy...it wasn't running and he didn't know why. It was rough and at first sight missing half the rear fender. "I can fix that" says me and I parted with my cash.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 1.20 MB 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
very cool. i have done a dozen of those myself, 13 of those dozen cost me twice as much as i expected and sold for half of that. still all of them were fun. keep us updated.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #4 
After getting it home, the strip down started immediately....as did the pain.

Random exhaust, crap steel wheels, missing CDI, no starter solenoid, butchered wiring harness, dead battery...on top of what I knew already - bald tyres, broken fairing rusty frame. Jeez what have I done.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 135.08 KB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #5 
eBay to the rescue!

eBay.com@USA.com #huge shipping costs / expensive import charges

arrgghh! I knew these things were from the US....but never did I realise that the majority of spares came from across the Atlantic. Increased risk in the event of having to return items but I was committed at this stage and bought a CDI, regulator and starter solenoid. I also found a guy in Northern Ireland with some spares and bought a standard exhaust.

The aim was to get this baby running before committing too much cash to a dead duck.

The parts arrived and after much f*king about with the loom and wiring diagram...IT RUNS!!!!

(blue smoke, but it runs)

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 1.15 MB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #6 
Why is it smoking and what are the metal flakes on the sump bung?

These are the questions I asked to the Polaris Pro Riders forum and what a great response from the guys...in particular Orion who answered every question in great detail.

Metal flakes or filings in the oil and on the sump bung are generally fine. The smoking is probably caused by the valve seals as indicated by the forum.

Off with its head! I took the head off to check the valve seals....have a look at the picture and tell me if you can see the problem

On the left, the inner and outer ones removed from the engine. Please note the valve seal wedged halfway up. To the right, my new Aaen Performance valve springs. The inner spring has a much wider diameter which will hopefully clear the valve seal and fix my smoky engine.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 942.17 KB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #7 
Shopping is not just for girls!

Here are some "not so wallet busting purchases" (including delivery). Pics included

Krieger Slip On Exhaust - $150
Goldspeed Nerf Bars - $75
2x Rear Douglas Quad Rok Wheels - $44 each from Portugal
4x Dunlop Tyres (removed from a brand new raptor) - $188 .....Front 21x7x10 : Rear 20x11x9

Unfortunately the quad rok wheels have non-standard tapered lug nuts. Straight from douglas in the USA would set me back $50. I took a chance on a $2 Mini Cooper 3/8 UNF tapered lug nut. It fit perfect....better order another 7

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 510.29 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 14, Size: 982.59 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 264.91 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 242.10 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 114.50 KB 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
wow great buys. good looking stuff.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks LEOGM5150

I love buying stuff but hate spending money. I like value for money :-)

Then I bought a SECOND Predator....it's hadn't an engine, or a loom but between the two I' was going to make a good one.

I put a classified Wanted add in the Irish classified looking for parts....This bike turned up and I said why have one when I can have two....another $860 gone

Maybe I'll end up with two complete bikes and sell one to recoup some cash....wishful thinking I say

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 495.35 KB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #10 
I want a fancy colour scheme.....

A big thanks to my Dad for stripping the bike into a million pieces while I directed from afar in the UK. It's time for powder coating.

But what colour scheme do I like....an obvious choice, KTM....but not for the obvious reasons. Bear with me...

In 2013 I attended the Ulster Grand Prix...It lays claim to being the fastest motorcycle road race in the world....its a motorcycle race on closed public roads. Here's a video of this years race to give you a taste....

At this race, the medic had an epic KTM RC8 road bike with an amazing wrap....this is my inspiration

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 175.03 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 147.91 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 161.69 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 14, Size: 226.87 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 11, Size: 172.58 KB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #11 
Yay! My bits have been and back from the powder coaters.... I wanted KTM RAL 2009 but the closest the powder coater had was RAL 2008. Very close to the colour but not as vibrant as I originally planned.

However it's worked out quite well...it looks a perfect match for the springs and seat so happy days

The black an orange looks great say beside each other. I couldn't wait to get it together...so I didn't!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 956.75 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 1.08 MB 

chunterjam

Reply with quote  #12 
Today this happened....

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 818.25 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 32, Size: 908.03 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 887.64 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 24, Size: 921.68 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 33, Size: 928.34 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 40, Size: 972.50 KB 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
very nice.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Kmack

Reply with quote  #14 
That is going to be one fine looking machine!!!

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #15 
Nice job so far!

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'd be inclined to take a short break and knock back a
couple pints of "Murpy's" if you were so inclined.....LOL

Reply with quote  #17 
looks good   i like the color scheme, simple and different
gncc #334 masters
wnyoa #534 40+ A class
thanks to
treyson racin, 100%, leatt, kenda, AXO, Matrix concepts, Engine Ice, lucas oils
garry hamill

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuj
I'd be inclined to take a short break and knock back a
couple pints of "Murpy's" if you were so inclined.....LOL

garry hamill

Reply with quote  #19 
That bike def gona look well
Ridz90

Reply with quote  #20 
Chunterjam that is looking epic!

Have you managed to source any of the plastics for this in the UK?

I have a similar project thats been ticking along and I've yet to be able to source a reasonably priced set of front and back plastics!

Scott 
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #21 
Thanks folks...still working on it slowly but surely over the Xmas break. Rear axle and suspension have been fitted with new wheel and swing arm bearings, along with a few other bobbins. Front wheels have been polished...they look ok so I might just buy a new set.

New handlebar grips, front wheel nuts and rear brake disc ordered.

The engine cylinder is away being measured to make sure it's still round and within taper spec.

@fuji - yes a few beverages have been consumed in typical Irish fashion

@Ridz90 - hi Scott, Funny you should mention that....at one stage I had 3 grey and one orange front fairings I bought with a job lot of polaris spares. All brand new. I've sold two grey at a really reasonable price and I've one orange and one grey left.

I'm hoping to keep hold of the orange one for my bike but the grey is for sale...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaris-Predator-500-Front-Fairing-Fender-Plastics-New-Old-Stock-/251746593878?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a9d442c56
If you ever manage to find a rear orange one, I'd happily swap it for a front grey one :-)

Was visiting a friend at the weekend (He likes restoring cars, bikes etc. and enjoys generally f*king around). He had this naughty green little number hidden at the back of the garage. It's a banshee/blaster frame with a honda VFR 750 engine, Yamaha R1 nose cone, hayabusa exhaust, fire extinguisher fuel tank and custom kawasaki green paint job. It's mean!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 745.05 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 29, Size: 1.04 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 35, Size: 926.46 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 50, Size: 913.01 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 959.15 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 32, Size: 226.60 KB 

Ridz90

Reply with quote  #22 
Chunterjam - do you have any rear plastics in grey? Getting hold of these seems to be damn impossible in the uk!
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #23 
Sorry Ridz90....I don't but I'll keep an eye out.
Ridz90

Reply with quote  #24 
Its been a right nightmare getting parts for mine in general! 

I'm doing a light restore this year to repair some of the cosmetic stuff as well, and things I'd expect to be plentiful and cheap are very expensive and hard to get!
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #25 
I feel your pain. Outside of the US parts are hard to come brand stuff from the US costs lots to ship. I've just tried to be patient on eBay....waiting for an engine to turn up
05pred500

Reply with quote  #26 
Looking awesome!
2005 predator 558 - falicon supercrank w/ knife rod, ss valves, 12.5:1 wiseco, hpd 558, HMF full system, uni, CFM oil tank, pro design tether, suspension work by Monster Performance, HID light kit, ODI Rouge, Kalis Racing riser, Flexx bars, razr/razr2
Ridz90

Reply with quote  #27 
Chunterjam - do you have many spares at the moment? Anything you'd be willing to part with?
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #28 
Ridz90 - PM sent
garry hamill

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterjam
Ridz90 - PM sent
heres mine

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 26, Size: 1.09 MB 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #30 
Another sharp looking machine.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
chunterjam

Reply with quote  #31 
Wow these things take time....its eventually finished (ish)

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 21, Size: 427.60 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 19, Size: 354.25 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.