Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
tetonw

Reply with quote  #1 

Ok if you don't mind I would like to hear from as many people as possible who have the 525 IRS. How long have you had it? What year is it, Did you have any major issues(CV boots, ect) Thanks in advance.

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, there is enough info available to write a book. Several books if everyone pitched in. Could you be more specific about what you would like to know? 

Are you looking to do upgrades and want advice? 
Trying to see if your experiences are typical with the 525?
Are you trying to track down a stolen quad?
Are you thinking of buying an Outlaw IRS but want more info first?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 376138_199307636827833_2123035034_n.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 93.85 KB 

tetonw

Reply with quote  #3 
I have a 700xx and never rode the outlaw.  I know the Honda is more reliable but I was considering the outlaw because I read you can control the rear end like a sra.  And I know it is 100lbs lighter.  Just nervous about the reliability.  Please don't take that the wrong way. 
outlaw525

KHill118
Reply with quote  #4 
I have owned my 2007 IRS since 2008 The original motor is still in it with over 300 hours in it never had a lick of trouble. only things I have ever had happen, is I have snapped 2 swaybars and ripped 2 cv boots. I have broken a few other things here and there but those were my own doing (crash's). I have raced my IRS in several XC racing series as well as the usual trail rides. they dont get beat on much harder than mine do. I wouldnt trade my IRS for anything its been a trooper! my IRS has been hands down the most reliable quad in my group of friends for sure. 
-IXCR #118
08' KTM 450xc
10' Polaris Outlaw 576 XCR 
07' Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS 

ORION

Reply with quote  #5 

Its an economically priced quad, with a lot of used and aftermarket parts available. Its very powerful, and the IRS on these things will change your outlook on riding. They have excellent traction because of the IRS and very good suspension from the factory. They do require a fair amount of maintenance because it is a sport quad, but any performance machine is like that. There is a large group of us that ride outlaws over here and the only guy with the TRX700 is currently trying to sell his quad to get an Outlaw IRS. 

You will find that the Outlaws differ greatly from year to year, so choose carefully. These are a few things that change between the years:

Steering design
    Engine manufacturer (Fuji vs KTM) 
    Body style
    Model of shocks 
    Clutch type (cable vs hydraulic) 
    Battery location 
    Carburetor and exhaust changes 
    etc. 

I have owned several of them ranging from '06 to '08 and they all had reliable engine/trans.

Minor maintenance items that come up on these: 

Rear axle boots
    rear brake pads 
    Rear housing bearings 
    Front end ball joints, tie rod ends, steering link

None of the common maintenance issues cause the quad to stop functioning. Generally speaking, your not going to break down in the woods. They are very reliable overall. 
Dunph

Reply with quote  #6 
My buddy has a 700xx. His bike is what I feared my 06 outlaw would be. The 700 is a very reliable machine, but it handles more like a utility. Outlaws handle more like a sra. Actually with the proper setup and some seat time it can out handle a sra. Search for a ktm(525) as it has more power than you are used to and the require less to make them competitive. 09 and up has the best fit and finish that is similar to your h****
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
Deadman

Reply with quote  #7 
You won't miss that slob 700XX the instant you throw a leg over a 525IRS!

I had 2 525IRS's with around 100 hours on each.  I never had much trouble with them.  rode them hard and they loved the beating.  The 525 will destroy the 700 in a drag race and handling.  

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
i have never rode a 700xx i have owned a 400 ex and a 440ex and over 100 honda motorcycles. i really do like all brands but if you want a sport irs i think the outlaw 525 is the best choice. i have owned 4 ktm 525 engines and all were great. the first 525irs i bought the engine had countless hours on it and had been raced hard and put away trashed it was clattery and loud when i got it and it still lasted 50 hours for me. the other 525 engines i had were all used but well taken care of with low hours and lasted really well and are still lasting for the 3 guys i sold them to. if i was to hand pick a 525 irs it would be a 2009+ they are lower lighter and had some improvements over the first outlaw irs. although i loved both my 2007 525 irs, i would not turn my nose up at a clean well maintained 2007 or 2008 outlaw irs. the outlaw 500 irs with the predator engine is also a great machine i just owned 5 predators over the years and i am just kind done with that powerplant.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
ORION

Reply with quote  #9 
I agree. The 500 is a good motor, but I would prefer to stick with the 525 from now on.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #10 
I do agree that you will love the 525 but I love my 558
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
tetonw

Reply with quote  #11 
I would like to thank everyone for your input.  I will see if I can find a 2009 this winter.  I am in phx AZ so more people will be posting quads then.  I will let you guys know.  Are any of you in AZ?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #12 
we have a couple of members in phoenix and quite a few around there. wicked al and thelane are both there.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
outlaw525

KHill118
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunph

agreed I love my 576  more than my 525 haha

-IXCR #118
08' KTM 450xc

Dunph

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw525
Quote:

One upper!!! Lol

2016 2500hd
Commi-chusetts
outlaw525

KHill118
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw525
Quote:

One upper!!! Lol

no no no haha just agreeing more power is way better!

-IXCR #118
08' KTM 450xc

glennyd

Reply with quote  #16 
The KTM motor is solid! I have had many of Japan made motors/dirt bikes/atvs and there isn't a better more durable motor than the Austrian built KTM motor. When they say "race ready" they mean it! However having said that because of the KTM is a highly tuned race engine, you need to stay on top of its maintenance, which includes replacing parts that may not seem to the average ride worn or need to be replaced. You must pay strict attention to what the manufacturer states needs to be replaced or cleaned after "XXX" hours or run time.
Bottom line is if you do this you will be sure to be ahead of the pack every time you ride. Being "race ready" isn't something given to you....you earn it! Take care and be safe.....
tetonw

Reply with quote  #17 
Glennyd thanks for the reply.  Nicely said.  How long have you had your outlaw, and have you ad any issues with your?  I know this is an atv and if you ride it at some point you will have something.
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #18 
I've had my 09 for a couple months.  Handles great.  Tons of power.  Probably a little more maintenance than my 400ex,  but so far I see no reason to go back to a solid axle quad.

Reply with quote  #19 
tetonw,
I'm in the Phoenix area. PM me we can get together for the trails and dunes.
I have been on an Outlaw since 06. right now I'm on an 08 I bought in 2009. I have lots of hours and haven't had any engine issues.  Very reliable machine.
Like everyone else on here said you need to stay on top of the maintenance schedules. I change the oil and filters every 10 hours and check the valves at 20-25 hours.
I have gone through lots of CV boots and plastics. But that is my riding style not the machines fault.
I've only owned an Outlaw irs but have been on a 700XX.
All I can add is;
Dump that pig and come into the light!

mike47
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.