Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
outlawsam

Reply with quote  #1 
I just started breaking in my new outlaw 540 engine and it takes forever to get it to stsrt i can sit there for 15 minutes trying to get it to start and it wont! And then iut of the blue it will finally start anyone have any clues??
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Is turning over ok, or really slow?
If its turning over ok, and it runs ok after it get running, I'd say your valve lash is getting tight. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Bings outlaw

Reply with quote  #3 
I would double check make sure ur getting fuel spark. Check the valve adjustment when u put on timing chain was everything lined up right. When I did mine(540 know 570) they fired right up.
outlawsam

Reply with quote  #4 
It turns over great untill the battery gets tired and once it starts it runs great
I even tried putting a little fuel in the plug hole and still nothing also it will backfire wicked loud if i let it roll over for a while and the first couple of start ups it started fine
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #5 
Is it sparking ok when you turn it over? 
If it is, its probably your valve lash. 

outlawsam

Reply with quote  #6 
Seems to be i took the plug out and grounded it and it was arcing pretty good any threads or vids that i could check to fix that?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawsam
Seems to be i took the plug out and grounded it and it was arcing pretty good any threads or vids that i could check to fix that?

That's how I'd have checked it (the spark) too. 

Assuming nothing is gummed up in your carb, you have the classic signs of valve lash problems.  It only takes a few minutes to check them... and a few minutes more to adjust them if they need it.  Its usually the intake valves that get tight but it can happen to any of them. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.