Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Outlawman

Reply with quote  #1 
I have an 09 525 with exhaust, intake, and 41mm carb. I raced a raptor a bunch times and literally got my butt whooped. Any suggestions on getting more power? Thinking bout a big bore kit but would hate to spend the money. 
Gobblestopper

Reply with quote  #2 
Outlawman, I was in your position before and decided to jump on the bandwaggon with a Raptor 700. I'm very happy with my decision as the 700 has tons of power. I do miss the ride of IRS in the woods where I think the outlaw belongs.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm not gonna get on the raptors suk bandwagon. They are big cc quads that have had years of development.
As for improvements to our quads. I hate to admit this but our quads are getting old. So first off id at least rebuild the top end. New rings, valve job, timing chain. While you're there you can replace the cam with an 806 or 833 and get a higher compression piston. Then break it in correctly and Dyno tune the carburetor. Then rematch the guy. Of course there are big bore kits...

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Outlawman

Reply with quote  #4 
Yea just didn’t want to go crazy sinking money into an older bike.
Bigballs525

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawman
Yea just didn’t want to go crazy sinking money into an older bike.

Yeah man, I agree. I had a 525 years ago and I liked it but it was time for an upgrade. 15 and up Raptor if it was me.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm not saying our outlaws aren't still capable of beating newer quads, I'm saying most of our quads are getting allot of hours on them now and performance drops off as the compression drops from worn out rings and valve sink. Start with getting the engine back to New specs or better. If the Piston is wore out get a higher comp Piston. If the cam is wearing around the lobes or at the seals, then upgrade to an 806 cam. Sure you may put $800 into it, but if you use quality parts (especially intake valves), you'll be making great power for years to come. Also, the first time I rebuilt the motor on mine was because the cam chain had stretched and jumped time and the valves hit the Piston. You can avoid that by going through it now instead of out on a trail somewhere.

Bigballs525

Reply with quote  #7 
I was out riding yesterday with a few friends, one of my buddies has a 525. Although he got beat every race I almost regret selling mine. It rides so nice. I may look for another IRS just to trail ride. They are so cheap in my neck of the woods
kbm450

Reply with quote  #8 

I had the opposite results against the limited 450/Raptors I ran against. The traction of the IRS provides gets out of the hole quickly and most importantly ride comfort is on point.  You could buy a new quad, but I sold my like new decked out YFZ450R and jumped onto a 2009 Outlaw and I wouldn't trade back for fast pace trail riding and hill climbing. I loved the YFZ450R for hill climbing and after sinking 2500 in suspension it rode great as well. Also, make sure you race 200-250 ft as a few models have the potential to catch back up and pass due to gearing. 

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #9 
I like the plushness of my outlaw, and it's plenty fast compared to other machines. My fav thing compared to the straight axles is ground clearance. I ride some rocky and rutted stuff and spend allot of time waiting on my buddies.
Also some of the negative traits that it has on a track (rear doesn't slide as easily, it jumps rear end low) I find a plus on trails in most cases. I prefer to weave (railing) between trees and rocks instead of sliding into them, and I don't know how many times I've came to an unexpected jump that I would've nosed first into the other side if it didnt fly nose up.
There are some things you can adjust to suit your riding style. Stiffer rear bar, lower the front end, etc. But remember it's an excellent trail quad but it'll never be a very good MX track quad.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.