Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
09fordfx4

Reply with quote  #1 

Hey all, my outlaw 500 is in pretty rough shape as some of you know. Looked at it a little closer a while back and it looks to be leaking oil pretty badly from somewhere. So I guess my crash did a little more damage then I originally though. 

Also just a few days ago my snowmobile was stolen, so I literally have nothing at all to ride. Looking at some options for something to get when insurance pays out for my stolen sled, and I'm considering the 08 outlaw 450, Just want some basic info on this thing, I know its basically the same engine as the 525 just a smaller bore or whatever. but is it pretty reliable? Fast? how will it compare to my 500? 

will my wheels and tires from my 500 fit on the 450? I would want 20" rears instead of the 18" stockers. and since I have basically brand new tires on my 500 id want to use them if possible. 

how well does the engine respond to exhaust and intake upgrades, is jetting pretty easy on these? maintennance schedule, etc. would just like some quick info. did a few quick searches but couldnt come up with too much. Don't have a ton of time to search for hours. 

thanks in advance! I'd love to stay polaris if I can, but if some other 450 is better, I won't be afraid to jump ship. 

09fordfx4

Reply with quote  #2 
Also considering going a cheaper route with a preddy 500. Since I know the engine already, may go that route. 
AlliedCeaser

Reply with quote  #3 
Was it an IRS with stock rims? If so I think the offsets are different for the MXR
          K&N Full Air Filter
[3895E9D9-C0BA-4A0F-9DC1-930DCCB7F619_zpsih6gc06e] 
Deere61200

Reply with quote  #4 
They are reliable, I only had one problem since I got my 08 last year. It is fast, but could be adjusted though to get some more power into the mid rpms. Mine is stock, and seems to slow down a bit in mid rpms, plenty of torque at the bottom and speed up top 
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #5 
In my experience the KTM motor has been reliable.  Power is very good.  The KTM's valve adjustments are waaayyyy easier than the 500 fuji motor or practically any other 450 on the market.  The MXR will be much lighter than your 500.

I change my oil every 10 hours.  Oil changes are a little more involved because of 2 filters, 2 screens, and 2 drain plugs.  

The bolt pattern for the rear wheels will be the same but the offset will be wrong if you were running the stock IRS offset wheels.

Intake upgrades are recommended for the SRA Outlaw as the stock airbox and filter is small and sealing is marginal.  Slip on exhausts work well.  The stock head pipe is pretty decent from the factory.

Jetting changes are about the same as any other carb, difficulty wise.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.