Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #1 

Hey guys, 

We are headed to the Oregon dunes in about a month. Anyone ever been there? Is it worth renting a 4x4 truck to take there or is just the quads enough fun?

Where is the best camping spot? We want a location that is fairly close to the bathrooms, but not too close. We also want a spot that people don't ride through (or right next to) for privacy / security. Something that's not on the rangers regular patrol rout. Also something secluded but not too remote.

Anyone going to be riding in that area at the end of September? A tour guide would be awesome.  

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #2 
What part of the Dunes, Florence? Coos Bay? Winchester? Do you want to sand Camp or a campground? Rangers are looking everywhere now days and they even have unmarked quads now days.

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't know the area at all, so I'm not sure what location. Someone suggested camping between two of the riding areas at Horse Falls. Between Florence and Coos bay?

When the rangers are patrolling on unmarked quads, what are they mainly looking for? DUI? Tags?

We have 2 wheel drive vehicles, so Im not sure if we should sand camp. But I dont know the area, so Im not sure. Suggestions?
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #4 
Ride there all the time.  Sand camping will be more remote and secluded, but the only bathrooms will be what you bring with you.  There are also several public campgrounds for each location, and a few private campgrounds, if you want access to facilities.

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_oregon_dunes.htm

You can have tons of fun on quads and see everything the dunes has to offer, trails, tree shots, open dunes, and beach.  Trucks and side by sides will limit you to the open sand.

Coos Bay/North Bend has a lot of sand trails and the largest overall riding area.  Winchester Bay has the tallest dunes, but a smaller overall riding area.  Florence is a blend of the two.

Police and Rangers are out there and they have the rigs to access anywhere.  They drive Ford Raptors, Yamaha Raptor 700s, RZR's and more, so they have the tools to keep up.  My experience has been that if you are respectful, ride safe, follow the rules, and don't have a loud exhaust, you don't run into any hassles. 

Let us know what dates you will be down here.  I can see if I can make the schedule work.

Reply with quote  #5 
Well if the best they've got are raptors, you're safe.  lol

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
ORION

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the info. Few more questions: 

Are tabs a big deal? Do they check that a lot? My friend has no tags on 4 of his machines that he is bringing. 

Spark arrestors required/ inspected?

I have current Washington state tabs and tags, is that sufficient or do I need something from Oregon?

Paddles are a must for Oregon from what I have heard. Is that correct? How many paddles per tire is best for an Outlaw 525, or does it not matter?

ORION

Reply with quote  #7 
Looks like its going to be September 26th through the 30th. 
ORION

Reply with quote  #8 
Can anyone give me a specific location suggestion on the camping spot? Like what camp site number do you recommend? 
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION
Thanks for all the info. Few more questions: 

Are tabs a big deal? Do they check that a lot? My friend has no tags on 4 of his machines that he is bringing. 

Spark arrestors required/ inspected?

I have current Washington state tabs and tags, is that sufficient or do I need something from Oregon?

Paddles are a must for Oregon from what I have heard. Is that correct? How many paddles per tire is best for an Outlaw 525, or does it not matter?

They do check for off road stickers and spark arrestors.  Washington stickers should be valid in Oregon last I checked.

I run Sand Skate II's on my Outlaw.  They are 8 paddles.  For me they are a good combination of traction and sliding.  I have Sand Stars on my 400ex.  They have a bit more hook and take a bit more to slide but are still good play tires.

For Florence:

Honeyman State Park (H loop) is my favorite campground.  However, you do not have direct dune access during the peak riding season (April through October).

Driftwood campground at the south end of Florence has restrooms and showers and direct dune access year round.  Camping is a large paved parking lot, so there isn't a lot of seclusion.

Oddfellows is a private campground in Florence with direct dune access, but you have to be a member or the guest of a member.

Sand Dunes Frontier has dry camping and direct dune access available.

Woahink RV Resort has direct dune access but does not allow any aftermarket exhausts.

For sand camping the south end of Florence is more secluded.  

Reply with quote  #10 
No direct dune access? What does this mean? Have to load the quads in a truck to get to the dunes? Have to ride down a gravel road for a few miles to get to them?
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #11 
You would have to load up and drive to a staging area.  In the off season you can ride directly out to the dunes from H Loop at Honeyman.  Because Honeyman is one of the most popular state parks and busiest, they temporarily close direct dune access during the peak camping season.

All the other campgrounds mentioned offer year round dune access.

As for Winchester Bay:

Campgrounds include Windy Cove, Discovery Point, and Half Moon Bay.   All offer access from your camp to the dunes.  However, Windy Cove is the farthest from the dunes and requires a ride on the gravel shoulder to get there.  I usually sand camp at Winchester Bay so, I haven't tried any of the campgrounds.

Coos Bay has camping at the North, South, and Middle entrances.  North side is Spinreel Campground with direct access to the dunes.  The North side is usually a little calmer than the south side.  The middle has a couple campgrounds.  KOA and Riley Ranch.  KOA has ride out access, but it is a long gravel road ride to get there.  Riley Ranch is supposed to be pretty nice.  I haven't had a chance to camp there yet.  They also have direct access to the dunes.

South Side is Horsfall and Horsfall Beach.  They are both paved lot type camping.  Horsfall Beach is on the ocean side.  Both have direct access to the dunes. 

Reply with quote  #12 
"For sand camping the south end of Florence is more secluded."

What do you mean south end of Florence?

Where is that?

We just want a fairly secluded spot that has bathrooms for the ladies, direct dunes access, and that is not putting your tent on pavement. Being close to activities and stores would be nice but not required. 
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #13 
(Florence)The bad thing is most of the time if you don't have reservation for a weekend you gonna have a tough time finding a place to camp with dune access. I'm a member of Odd-fellows, so that's where I stay, if your trying to make it plus for the lady's, I would stay at honeyman  and trailer over to the day use area for a first trip. Sand dunes frontier isn't a great place but we have used them because of dune access and the just have porta-pottys and  this seems to have a lot of punks as this old fart calls them, but they always seem to have a spot to get into. Driftwood II is most of the time booked in advance about 6 months. Wohink is very strick on the exhaust and all noise is frown upon.
(Coosbay) Horsefall is booked in advance , a lot. Horsefall beach usually has a few spots open (* big parking lot ) Riley ranch is the newest place to camp has sand access via gravel road and a bridge call and you should be able to get a spot. Spinreal is booked most of the time. KOA has a long gravel road to the dunes, but they usually have a spot.
(Winchester bay ) I would stay at half moon bay closet to the sand, call and see if they have any spots, Discovery point, isn't great but it is the second closet camp ground to the sand. Windy cove and one other it is a trek on the gravel to the sand. The duneguide that Rkangel said use it make call and see if you can find a spot. If your in Florence the weekend I'm there I can guide you around some. Paddles would be best for all if you don't want to be getting people unstuck all the time. Yes your WA. tags work but if you don't have the Oregon tags are $10 each plus a $.50 for them to write them up you will need VIN #s to get them ( or make one up ) Good luck, have fun...

Reply with quote  #14 
Looks like we will go with Frontier Campgrounds. Its nice that it has dirt to put the tents on, and direct access to the dunes. Too bad there is no place that has these qualities as well as actual bathrooms and showers. 
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #15 
Driftwood has showers and bathrooms.

Just looked up availability and they appear to still have open sites for your time period.

If you go to:
http://www.recreation.gov
and type in Siltcoos Sand Camping Access, and enter your dates in the "Search for Places and Activities" window, it should pull up Driftwood campground.  You can reserve your spot from there (it shows several available).  Several of the back-in spaces have room off the pavement for tents.  Just an option.

Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks for the info, I will check it out. 
ORION

Reply with quote  #17 
Frontier campgrounds was excellent. If you select the right spot, it will be very secluded and private. HUGE camp sites, and the management is very strait forward about the rules but very laid back about everything else. You can ride from the camp into the dunes on your quad. Porta-shitters and dumpsters is all ya get, but thats more than enough for my taste. Brick and mortar bathrooms are available during the day. My front wheel bearings didn't get much use there: 

224815_703648359727089_813073184360102627_n.jpg  10464312_703648719727053_585359778368809483_n.jpg  10649809_703647683060490_7208622275545880878_n.jpg 

10703881_703648416393750_6246463969418862897_n.jpg 

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #18 
Cool!  Looks like you had a good time.  Sorry I couldn't make it.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #19 
Sweet pictures glad you had fun and saved your front wheel bearings.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Glad you made it out there, looks like you had a good time, Like me your saving the front tires and bearings!!!

Reply with quote  #21 
Hey, what am I? I thought we were fellow Wa. St. PPR buddies? Not to mention fellow Site Custodians! No, "Heads up pimp, were going to Winchester, you should come!?" No love. I have lame friends that dont like to ride as much as I do, apparantly! I would go every weekend and twice a week if I had my way! I dont like to ride by myself, for fear of wrecking/breaking out in the high desert, and becoming coyote food! Winchester Bay is on top of my list of places I want to ride, well, besides Glamis. St. Anthony, and Kilpecker round out my Top 5 list. 
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
ORION

Reply with quote  #22 
We plan on going back to the Oregon Dunes, but first we are headed to the Moses Lake Dunes. You want to get in on that?
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #23 
Yeah, I loved Moses Lake! Not a bad drive for me either, about an hour and a half.Running out of nice weekends over here, been awesome so far, but is bound to change soon. Let me know next time you go to Oregon Coast too, my best friend from high-school is a mailman in Coos Bay, I have been talking about going to Dune Fest, and visiting him. But I would be down for any of the Oregon Dunes! I dont know how far your willing to travel, but next summer I want to go meet LEO, and ride Kilpecker and St. Anthony's. You should look at the pictures online of St.Anthony's Dunes, Best dunes you never heard of! 
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.