Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Xero

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys... Going down the highway yesterday doing about 70mph i pulled into a gas station and it started sounding abit rough, I turned it off and checked the oil, went to start it and it sounding real bad and didn't start, so put it in back of a mates van and brought it home.. took the flywheel off and notice that 2 of the bolts that had held the one way bearing on and sheared off, and the rest and worked their way fairly lose... I don't really understand why as I believe they have been in since new (atleast since i got it) I'd say a good 500hours on it and randomly worked its way lose NOW? .. the sheered bolts and done the worst and ground away at the casings.. i dont BELIEVE it's gone all the way through anywhere though but obviously theirs metal shavings everywhere... WHAT DO I DO NOW? now really sure.. here's some pics! thanks for your help!

http://s326.photobucket.com/user/steveennn1996/library/

05 Predator 500 Troy lee, Street legal! Powder coated in Flourescent Orange and Ultramarine blue with metal flake, PurePolaris pipe, Stage6 foam filter, K&N PreFilter & Jetted to suit, ProArmour Nerfs, TrailTech Fatbars and clamp, PRM 6pack grab bar, Rear wheel spacers, ITP alloy wheels, Speedracer supermoto tyres, DWT alloys, maxxis razr 2s, On Order:Full Flight +2 a arms
Also own: Can-Am Renegade 800X, Apache RLX400supermoto both street legal! aswell as a Yamaha Blaster and an Apache 100cc All packed full with lots of goodies! :D

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
is has been known to happen. If your one way and flywheel are good to still use you need to get all new bolts clean the flywheel and one way real good and use some red or black loctite on all the bolts tighten them real good and let the loctite setup for 24 hours then put your machine back together and never worry about it again. Now i suggest you replace the oneway bearing at this time but they are not cheap. There is one on ebay made in the us and it has a liftime warranty.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Xero

Reply with quote  #3 
What do I do about the metal bits that have shaved off from the engine case? as shown in the pictures i dont think its gone through the casing anywhere just took a couple of gouges out.. won't it of gone round in the oil and such?

05 Predator 500 Troy lee, Street legal! Powder coated in Flourescent Orange and Ultramarine blue with metal flake, PurePolaris pipe, Stage6 foam filter, K&N PreFilter & Jetted to suit, ProArmour Nerfs, TrailTech Fatbars and clamp, PRM 6pack grab bar, Rear wheel spacers, ITP alloy wheels, Speedracer supermoto tyres, DWT alloys, maxxis razr 2s, On Order:Full Flight +2 a arms
Also own: Can-Am Renegade 800X, Apache RLX400supermoto both street legal! aswell as a Yamaha Blaster and an Apache 100cc All packed full with lots of goodies! :D

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah absolutely drain the oil pour some more oil through it clean out everything you can. Then either just run it and don't worry about it or take the engine out split the cases clean every single thing inspect every single bearing and start over.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Dunph

Reply with quote  #5 
really doesn't look too bad. flush it well with good oil and pray to the quad gods. 
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #6 
as for cleaning the engine out , don't forget the oil tank. take off the hose on the bottom of the tank, Remove the fitting , the fitting has a screen, make sure its clean( hose that goes from the engine to the tank) As for the metal most of it most likely was stuck to the flywheel, but the aluminum case shavings maybe floating around the engine case. dump more oil though the valve cover and let it leak out though the open covers and drain plug hole. just make a mess but flush it good.

Now you can do what leo has suggested . I have two mods that I have done. first is to drill and tap the flywheel to use the next size up allen cap head bolts, you may have to drill out the plate the holds one the oneway bearing but the point of using the the next size up allen heads is so the cap head of the bolt is a tighter fit in the holes of the bearing plate. the oem bolts have a lot of space between the cap heads and the plate reses holes in the plate. its abit sloppy fitting.
The next best mod ive done is to buy a new oneway bearing and then tack weld the plate on after it is bolted on with red lock tight. however i made sure my flywheel was balanced and lightend after welding. maybe it wasn't required to lighten because the tack welds were only about 1 inch and only 4 tacks spaced evenly . if you weld it you must let it cool between tacks and don't get it to hot , use a tig welder. also make sure to cover the one way bearing with duct tape. I like the gorilla glue tape.

I have a mod for almost everything, don't I ?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
here is the one i was talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-A-DESIGNS-03-07-Polaris-500-Predator-06-07-OUTLAW-one-way-starter-clutch-/131168785213?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8a44d33d&vxp=mtr

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Xero

Reply with quote  #8 
Which fitting are you talking about and where is the screen? don't think i've seen it before? :S

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #9 
it is number 4 on the oil tank schematic from rmatv. it is the fitting that the hose goes onto on the lower part of the tank.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Xero

Reply with quote  #10 
I yeah, I see to recall it now, does it just bolt out and back on? so i just made sure it's clean, and bolt it back on? would it be ok to clean with brake cleaner?

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
i have no idea how it comes out i have not looked at one in years. i would just blow it out with air, i would not use anything flammable in my oil fittings. you don't want anything like that in your bearings seals or oil. i used to use carb cleaner or starter fluid to clean my ss oil filters until a member here suggested that i don't for those same reasons and that sounded like a good idea.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Xero

Reply with quote  #12 
Hmm, I'll have to have a look and see what I can do I guess.. but yeah that sounds wise.. didn't think of the fact that's its flammable.. thanks!

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
yeah flammable and anything flammable is fairly rough on gaskets and seals that are meant to keep in or out oil and coolant.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
pimpedpredators

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #14 
I sheared all of my bolts off!! I went and bought a gallon of cheap oil and just cleaned out what I could and changed oil til it was clean, I ran it for 5-10 minutes, then dumped,repeat, until I was happy, then put my good oil in. I think it permanently damaged starter clutch, it went out completely a month later. I would recommend a new one now,save yourself the trouble!! 12-14-13_1256.jpg  12-14-13_1255.jpg   

03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.