Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Tr0utbum

Reply with quote  #1 
Got my 525 back together and it runs great!  But I do have some things to troubleshoot.

Can someone tell me what the little electric switch in the throttle housing is for?

Outlaw Throttle.jpg 
My bike idles great as long as the circuit in the throttle is open and the contacts do not touch.  If I hold the throttle lever just enough to break the circuit, it runs and runs!  If I take my thumb off the throttle, and the circuit get closed, the bike just dies.

Sorry for the newb question, but what do I need to adjust to get it to stay running?

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
That is a stuck throttle safety switch. The thumb throttle cable needs at least an 1/8 inch of slack in it or else those contacts in the thumb throttle tell the cdi that it is stuck on and kills the engine.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Tr0utbum

Reply with quote  #3 
Ok, lets make sure I fully understand how this is supposed to work.

If the contacts touch, then the CDI will think that the throttle is stuck open and cause it to shut the ignition down?

So I need to adjust the cable somewhere to cause a gap in between the contacts?

There is a barrel adjuster in the cable just outside of the throttle box.  I did adjust it there, but that caused the idle to go too high, so I adjusted back to where it was.

I think I may have knocked something out of whack at the carb.  When I bought this quad last month, it ran rough and noisy, but it did stay idling.  Now that I have replaced the primary nut and adjusted the valves, it runs smooth and strong, but it wont stay idling if I take my thumb off of the lever.

I really need to get a FSM.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
You have that correct. Once you have enough slack in the cable so you can let it idle then turn the idle down on the carb. It is a spring loaded screw on the carb. The cable slack is not meant for idle adjustment.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.