Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
ko66

Reply with quote  #1 
Is it just me, Shouldn't the oil level go up as engine gets warmer? Mines not doing it but according to the trail tech My max engine temp is 193, also the outdoor temp would be about 80.

shamrock246

Reply with quote  #2 
Mine goes up with the outside air temp approx 75 and 185 deg on my I.R. gun pointed at the cylinder head just below the water pump.

08 Outlaw 525 IRS,grease fitting mod on the rebuilt rear,grease fitting mod on steering system,grease fitting mod on front hubs,UNI airfilter

2013 Outlaw 90 (son's) UNI airfilter,grease fitting mod to SRA housing 
ko66

Reply with quote  #3 
So I drain the engine and put in 1.5 quarts and the oil was over the top off the window. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
With my oil cooler mounted (about the same height as the oil filters so higher than the crankcase), if I fill it to nearly the top of the sight glass, when I start it, it drops to the correct level.  Before the cooler, the level would go up after it warmed up. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
ko66

Reply with quote  #5 
With my oil cooler mounted (about the same height as the oil filters so higher than the crankcase), if I fill it to nearly the top of the sight glass, when I start it, it drops to the correct level.  Before the cooler, the level would go up after it warmed up. [Thae/QUOTE] that's pretty much  what's going on.
gen3usa

Reply with quote  #6 
1.6 is what is suppose to be in it!

2007 Polaris Outlaw 525 w/IRS 12.5:1, 806 cam, FMF exhaust, Faast FlexBars
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400 (gone and missed), 2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 (gone and missed), 1996 Polaris 400 sport (serious tank),1981 Harley Shovel head chromed and decked out!

ko66

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3usa

Its just strange that it wont cover the oil window completely.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Ya know, I have read, and heard over the years that you "can't trust the accuracy of the site glass" and you should always put exactly "x.x quarts in" and you're good.  Pfft.  That to me is like saying to put "5.1 quarts of oil in a Chevrolet, throw away the dipstick, and you're good".  I know after a few days of riding mine uses some oil, I can see it in the site glass and on the breather filter connected to my crankcase breather. 
Im sure the glass is probably not 100% accurate, but I don't think it needs to be unless youre always riding on perfectly level ground, never accelerating or braking, or turning (like on a dyno).  Otherwise it gets you in the ballpark before you run low or way over fill the engine.    Just my opinion.

EDIT: Just fill it so its about 1/2 way up the window when its warmed up and running, which is usually at the bottom of the window when its cold and not running.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Kmack

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3usa

Its just strange that it wont cover the oil window completely.

You do not want it to cover the sight glass completely. A little less than half way when cold and a little more than half way on the sight glass when hot is where it should run.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
ko66

Reply with quote  #10 
Let me rephrase I wrote that on my phone. I meant it is strange that after changing the oil I only put 1.5 quarts in and it completely cover the oil window. I am also now running rosella t6 5-30

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #11 
That's the one quirk about the RFS motors that used to get on my nerves a little bit.  There is a partial divider inside the case, so the sight glass varies drastically depending on which side of the case the majority of the oil falls. 

For example: During oil changes I can measure the amount of oil I drain out, replace it with the exact same amount of oil, and still get different sight glass readings every time.  It is an idiosyncrasy of these motors I've learned to live with.  As long as I can see oil in the sight glass, and don't over-fill, I don't worry too much about the position in the window because it will change in 5 minutes anyway.

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkangel
That's the one quirk about the RFS motors that used to get on my nerves a little bit.  There is a partial divider inside the case, so the sight glass varies drastically depending on which side of the case the majority of the oil falls. 

For example: During oil changes I can measure the amount of oil I drain out, replace it with the exact same amount of oil, and still get different sight glass readings every time.  It is an idiosyncrasy of these motors I've learned to live with.  As long as I can see oil in the sight glass, and don't over-fill, I don't worry too much about the position in the window because it will change in 5 minutes anyway.
true because it drops drastically when running but full when it is not. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.