Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
CDent196

Reply with quote  #1 
So I completed my valve adjustment and got everything back together just fine. And now the darn thing is pournig oit out of the crankcase breather tube. I have an aluminum air box from CFm that does not have a port for the breather tube so I ran it up the frame to the highest point I could and secured it. I've never had this issue before so I kinda curious to know some possible causes. I've even drained the oil and added the 2 1/4 quarts and it's doing the same thing. Any advice on what to look for or how to correct this is greatly appreciated.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #2 
Did you remove both drain plugs?
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
CDent196

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes sir, I drained both the case and the oil tank before adding exactly 2 1/4 quarts.
05pred500

Reply with quote  #4 
Interesting.. I have had this happen on my 558 but it is always because I put too much oil in. Possibly a crankcase pressure issue?
2005 predator 558 - falicon supercrank w/ knife rod, ss valves, 12.5:1 wiseco, hpd 558, HMF full system, uni, CFM oil tank, pro design tether, suspension work by Monster Performance, HID light kit, ODI Rouge, Kalis Racing riser, Flexx bars, razr/razr2
CDent196

Reply with quote  #5 
Or maybe abackwards installed or possibly clogged oil filter?
pimpedpredators

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #6 
Did you prime the system? I have only seen this happen due to overfilling of oil, and even then it didn't "pour" out.Do you have anything on the end of the hose? P3240072.JPG 

03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
Dunph

Reply with quote  #7 
i wonder if bad rings could cause blow by and create the extra pressure. maybe a clogged/pinched return line?
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
CDent196

Reply with quote  #8 
Every external oil related part, line filter, tank and fitting was removed, drained and seriously cleaned or replaced. I changed the filter (which was not bad at all) and primed the pump as described in the manual. At the time I did not have anything on the end of the crank case breather except some outer wears pre-filter material. I struggle to believe the oil level was too high as it ran fine for about 20 minutes then started slowly burping oil through the breather tube. No smoke or lack of compression (although I didn't test for that) but actually running great. As I mentioned after about 20 minutes it would start to burp oil periodically through the crank case breather. I'm at a loss on this one, I will more than likely be tearing the complete engine down just to see if I can find anything weird.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #9 
is the breather hose connected to the airbox? or is it at least that height?
2016 2500hd
Commi-chusetts
CDent196

Reply with quote  #10 
I have the CFM box with no port for the breather. I followed their instructions and mounted it to the highest point I could on the frame.
Dunph

Reply with quote  #11 
Man I don't know. That would pissed me off. It's prob something g stupid
2016 2500hd
Commi-chusetts
CDent196

Reply with quote  #12 
Yeah, it's frustrating for sure. Too damn cold lately to do anything in the garage. The only thing I never checked was the one way valve...I wonder if that could have been the culprit?
CDent196

Reply with quote  #13 
***Update***

I've torn the motor down to inspect clean and replace what ever was jacked up. The one way valve was cleaned, rings were still good, the cylinder got re honed and all new gaskets. Oil pump looked fine and so did the clutch. I mean what could this be. I've tried running 2 quarts of oil only to have it push oil through the breather yet again. The motor is coming back out tonight and this time I'm splitting the cases and going through every little piece.

Any ideas???
CDent196

Reply with quote  #14 
**FIXED IT**

I rode about 8 miles yesterday and no oil purged out of the breather tube!!
flextx500

Reply with quote  #15 
What was the final fix?  I'm having the same issue.
CDent196

Reply with quote  #16 
It should have updated the fixed it post. The problem did not go away and I can ride for about 20 minutes before it begins to drain oil out of the breather tube. I have all but given up on this quad and as much as I hate to say it someone needs to buy this thing from me pretty quick.

joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I would guess you have a valve lash issue.  once the motor warms up it starts building pressure in the cases and forcing oil.  I see you started out by saying you adjusted the valves.  Was this an issue before valve adjustment?
flextx500

Reply with quote  #18 
What was the factory routing of the oil breather lines?  Which is correct?  Oil Tank to Clutch cover and Crankcase(near starter motor) to Air box?  Or should it be Oil Tank to Crankcase and then Clutch cover to Air box?

I can't find any routing in the service manual.  The only pic I see shows the Oil Tank breather going to the Air box.  Which then means the clutch cover would get tied to the top of the crankcase?

I'm confused.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.