Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
P500P

Reply with quote  #1 
In process on engine break-in...notice excessive oil in UM Performance airbox. It's not a little splattering here and there but, puddling in the front corner of box and blowing out onto bottom of seat and outside rear section of box...even covering rear rotor and contaminating brake pads! Per engine builder's instructions I rerouted hoses from stock configuration...hose from sump running to clutch cover and crankcase running to airbox...was suppose to reduce/eliminate this issue. I haven't rolled it, wheelied or had it on back bumper. Haven't been through complete tank of gas...think it may be as simple as rings aren't fully seated allowing excess oil to pass into crankcase...not sure...any proven fixes for this issue will be appreciated!
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #2 
sounds like you taking it to easy on the motor and rings arent seating.  After my build i had no oil in my crank case breather filter
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
Mine did thst when i took off the airbox an i found i had too much oil when it was cold it was right level when it was hot it was too high an the oil eventually cam out of the top of the head as well but also had a bad bolt

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
for starters if you are using the stock oil tank and no oil coolers or extra capacity of any kind the predator should only hold 2 1/4 quarts of oil. that is after draining the oil tank, the engine, and the oil filter compartment. when you check your oil level you must do it after you have ran your predator for a minute and then shut it down and check it. if you check it cold or after sitting too long it will show low. then when you add to top it off and run it it will end up over full and spew out the vents and possibly gaskets. if you have an aftermarket tank like the cfm or the um then it should only take about 3 quarts but then again only check it after it has been run a minute and shut down.

so if you are sure you are not over filling the oil by just using too much or by improper level checking then next is;

i have never heard of re arranging the stock configuration of the oil lines. that sounds like a bad idea to me. the only time i have ever seen oil in the airbox is either too much oil or an improper engine build creating crankcase pressure pushing it out. rerouting the oil lines to solve oil in the airbox is news to me. i have discussed and read about 100's of predator builds. i have owned 5 of them and built the first 3 of them about 6 times. never have i heard of rerouting the oil lines as a needed improvement. even just changing the routing of the breather hoses is not needed. correct oil level and a good engine rebuild is all that is needed to keep the oil in your engine. something is wrong. i would start by confirming the oil level and the rerouting the lines back to stock.

as far as rings being seated. that seriously happens in the first couple of times running under load. if the engine is ran idling and hear and there a dozen or so times and never run under load you most likely already missed your chance to seat the rings the way they should be. unless there is bad ring gap clearances, or a stuck ring or something of that nature which would most likely cause excessive smoking out the tail pipe then i doubt your issue has anything to do with that. i would think if the ring issue was that significant that the running of the machine would be terrible or it would not run at all. for a good break in after several heat cycles not allowing it to idle for any period of time and not red lining it. i would then basically ride it like crazy under load up hill and give it a healthy work out to seat the rings properly. just my 2 cents worth.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
P500P

Reply with quote  #5 
The tank is a CFM. I'll recheck oil level. I also prob should included the carb is not stock...its a FCR off an outlaw...so, no carb/crankcase vent...the reason for hose routing...my engine builder said running tank to airbox would def. create this oil issue. I read from CFM...they run hose to vent to atmosphere. If oil level is not issue, Im thinking this may be the fix.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #6 
great the more details the better.

next no offense but please expound a little more on your last post as i do not understand what you are trying to say. i am thick headed and get lost easily. do you just mean the breather hoses? how much oil are you using on an oil change? did you fill it up after a proper oil level check? did someone else fill it up? like the mechanic? or the mechanics flunky high school kid helper? how many quarts did the mechanic say should fill it with the cfm tank? how many quarts does cfm say?

how many quarts of oil are in it now?

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #7 
it's been over a month since i started break-in...and haven't had the time to completely run a tank of gas...i planned on first oil change after running complete tank. Except for the engine rebuild and shocks, i do all the work. i remember the tank holds a total of 3.75 qts. I only had 3 qts...still more than stock, so i went with it...its not overfull. The engine runs great and has a buttload of power...i may have got a little carried away last time i rode it for about 50-60 mins doing some extended high speed wot top gear runs...down gravel road in 5th wot for at least a min or 2, poss even 3...i'm thinking maybe the oil rings haven't completely seated...afterall it's a new nikasil cylinder and we all know thats some hard stuff...and the end result is excess oil being sucked into airbox. i'm getting ready to eat supper but, after supper ill run out to my country house and check the level...[u got me curious]...and let u know
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
yeah maybe the rings were not seated when you kept it pinned for too long. i hope not but i guess all you can do is run it until you think they should be broke in than tear down to re-ring it.

maybe check all vent hoses and make sure none are plugged or pinched causing crank case pressure.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #9 
maybe the exhaust valves clearances are too tight causing them to not open enough creating excessive crank case pressure past the rings?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
maybe the oil lines need to be burped/purged of air?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
i would do a compression check and a leak down test.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #12 
i may have got a little carried away last time i rode it for about 50-60 mins doing some extended high speed wot top gear runs...down gravel road in 5th wot for at least a min or 2, poss even 3...i'm thinking maybe the oil rings haven't completely seated

was this before or after all the oil issues? first ride after the build? 5 or 6 rides after the build? was the engine allowed a few heat cycles? did you break it in according to your engine builders instructions?

breaking in with a few wot throttle bursts and then letting the engine slow it self down. to idle, then up and down a few time is fine, but bouncing off the rev limiter and floating the valves for 1,2,3, or 5 minutes as soon as the engine is built is not a good. it is not a good way to break in and seat the rings in my opinion. if you already have 50 or 60 minutes of run time the rings are as seated as they ever will be. either they are seated properly or the cylinder is already glazed and they are the way they will be until the next rebuild.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #13 
Too full n lazy from supper...will check oil tomorrow. Purged line...per factory manual...heard hiss. Thanks for your help Leo.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #14 
sweet that is great news i hope that is all it is. all my negative thoughts and worst case scenario thinking is hopefully for nothing

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #15 
I never floated the springs or ran up to the rev limiter in 5th. it ran great the whole time.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #16 
good news. i am very glad to hear the line purging provided a satisfying hiss. hopefully that was all it was just air in the lines that will do just what you were describing.

usually poorly seated rings will just smoke extra and possibly not perform as well as could be like 98% instead of 100%.

please make sure and let us know if that was all it was.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #17 
what build did you have done?  did the builder do the machine work for the build if any was needed?  I too dont understand why he had you reroute the lines from factory setup.
P500P

Reply with quote  #18 
Just talked with my engine builder...Ronnie Wilson [Wilson Racing]...he used to R&D for Polaris...specializing in Preds n Outlaws, supporting GNCC racers. He said with my set-up this is normal and simply a compromise. Confirmed what I was thinking...remove hose from box and get a crankcase filter, venting to atmosphere. IMO...I guess that engine creates so much vacuum, combined with maybe less than perfect oil control, sucking excess oil.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #19 
i have a clamp on air filter and a clamp on case breather and have had 0 oil out of the motor but its your bike getting coated in oil not mine.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #20 
maybe all that is right. maybe he is the best builder on earth and all the things he and you have done are right on but there should not be that much oil blowing out of the crankcase breather to cover everything and cover your brakes. if there is oil in the lines then that makes sense if it does not do it again, but if it continues to blow that much oil every ride something is bad wrong.

so is it a cup of oil every ride? is it a few drips each ride? has it been going on for a while? one ride? two rides? please let us know if it quits after your line purging. it should quit. then maybe after a roll over or a long wheelie extravaganza or maybe just a bit too much oil then maybe a little here or there. not tons all the time that is not the way every other built predator operates for the lasts 9 years since people have been building them. not trying to be offensive to you or your engine builder, i just don't want you to think leaving an oil slick every where you go is the way everyone's predator is after it has a built engine.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #21 
Josh, With the  lack of baffling on the CFM tank, if the hose was run to the airbox it would def. suck excess amounts of oil. In my case removing stock carb, installing FCR [has no crankcase fitting]...another venting system has to be created. Running to the box from crankcase [center fitting] reduces crankcase gases but, as we see, doesn't reduce enough...so I'm gonna pull hose and get a crankcase filter..even CFM reccommends this for their airbox setup.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #22 
so if you know everything already why ask what was wrong with your bike?

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #23 
ok i get what you are saying now. that makes perfect sense. you are correct plug the hole in the air box or at least put some filter fabric over it and just put a filter in the crank case vent line.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #24 
Leo, You've mentioned about line purging a couple times...just like the factory manual says...purge before starting...did exactly what it said. Do you mean when I do 1st oil change? I'll clean it up sometime this week, dble check the oil level and go run the piss out it n see what happens. let u know.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #25 
no any time the oil tank lines are removed from the motor you have to purge the air out of the oil lines from the tank to the motor and oil pump or youll have an air lock in the oil pump system and not get oil to your motor
P500P

Reply with quote  #26 
josh, i didn't get on here to fight...[seems like there's always someone who wants to fight on forums]. i dont claim to know everything...i do have a lot of knowledge [both auto n quad], ideas and opinions but, i consider myself open-minded enough to listen to others...esp those who have personal experience with particular machines/problems, etc. I try to keep informed as much as possible but, I've learned something important...to listen to everyone...sometimes the smartest, most informed guys can't figure it out and the simple minded guy sees the simple answer.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #27 
yeah i would do it again when you do the first oil change, you should not need to but if you are trying to eliminate issues i would double check that for now. double check the oil level and clean it all up real good with the new filter int he vent line. i bet it will be good to go.

i just thought you had been running it a while and it just keeps doing it. if it is just after the build and there might be air in the lines and your vent line is in the air box i get it now.

same question as josh though kinda, i guess what did you want to know if you already have it figured out? not trying to be smart alec i guess i am just kinda stumped as to what the question here is?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
P500P

Reply with quote  #28 
yes, josh...i know this...like i said, i have the manual, can read, and followed instructions to the letter.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #29 
ok well you can read and you have a mechanic yet you have oil flowing from your breather line.  you bikes the one with the issues not mine.  remember when asking questions dont shoot down the responses you get.  Im telling you this if you have oil coming out of your motor other then during an oil change you have something wrong.  Oil comes out the case breather line for 2 reasons.  combustion is getting past the rings or you had the motor up high enough that it filled oil into the breather line.
P500P

Reply with quote  #30 
not saying i have it figured out...just ideas. wanted to see if anyone else had this happen or experience with it.
P500P

Reply with quote  #31 
i'll just shut up, finish break in and see what happens.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #32 
sorry man i guess i drove this one to death and irritated all three of us. i told you i was confused.

please don't shutup. please do continue to break it in and let us know how it goes. i will shutup until then.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
polaris bob

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #33 

I have not read every word in this thread and don't quite understand just how the oil lines have been re-routed or the reason why,  but I have to agree with the others.

If you have a good amount of oil blowing out the vent line and dumping all over your quad, .............. something is not right. 

'Broken in correctly', the motor should not take all that much time for the rings to take a seat. 

Ring seating should happen in the first 5 or 10 minutes of new motor start up, or it's almost impossible to get them to seal right afterwords.

Personally I never use synthetic oil for break in. Not to sure what oil you are using or if you even said???

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
P500P

Reply with quote  #34 
oil...polaris synthetic from kit. break-in...thats one i'd like to discuss and/or get opinions on. I did it like I've always done...run at idle for 10 mins...cool for 30...repeat 2 or 3 more times, then after good warm-up run at 50%, cool, then 60% and so on to WOT...then I read Motoman and asked my engine builder...both said the same...warm-up and run the piss out of it...now i'm thinking i really #ucked up...just not sure. this is the first nikasil cylinder i've broke in...and that's some hard stuff.. it runs bad-ass at all rpm's, has no blue smoke from pipe. Ronnie says blow-by is a common issue with these engines. I'd assume it wouldn't be noticable with a stock carb since it has the crankcase hose directly into the carb.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #35 
yeah i agree with bob synthetic is not as good for break in.

also i like to warm up and cool it off a few times without ever letting it just idle. then i run the tar out of it under load. never letting it sit at any steady rpm for more than a few seconds and not quite running it to wot. i will do that for the first 20 or 30 minutes real good. that is basically broke in for me. i then change the oil after the first hour or so and make sure it has no more than the usual break in metal in it and then i ride it like i stole it for the rest of it's life.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
polaris bob

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #36 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P500P
oil...polaris synthetic from kit. break-in...thats one i'd like to discuss and/or get opinions on. I did it like I've always done...run at idle for 10 mins...cool for 30...repeat 2 or 3 more times, then after good warm-up run at 50%, cool, then 60% and so on to WOT...then I read Motoman and asked my engine builder...both said the same...warm-up and run the piss out of it...now i'm thinking i really #ucked up...just not sure. this is the first nikasil cylinder i've broke in...and that's some hard stuff.. it runs bad-ass at all rpm's, has no blue smoke from pipe. Ronnie says blow-by is a common issue with these engines. I'd assume it wouldn't be noticeable with a stock carb since it has the crankcase hose directly into the carb.

I sorta do it the Motoman way, with a few differences thrown in that I like to do.

First off, I have never been able to get rings to fully seat in using synthetic oil. It may happen sometime down the road, but way to long for me to wait. I would try draining the oil and re-doing the break in if at all possible.

With a fresh motor I fire it up just long enough to get some heat in the cylinder and to make sure the jetting will allow it to idle. Shut it down and let it sit till it's at room temp. Check for leaks. Fire it up again and do the same . Let it get just barley hot. Shut down again and cool to room temp.

Third time is a charm. I go out and do full throttle pass's and full throttle chops, in high gear. The drag from the motor braking really sucks the rings in to the bore and helps them seat fast. I do this quite a few times up and down my road really giving it to her for a few seconds at a time and then letting her engine brake at the end of each run. Pull it back into the garage and drain the oil.

Done.

Go out and give her hell for a hour or so trail ride and then drain the oil again. At that point in time I consider it to be fully broken in!

About Ronnie's comment....... Not to sure about that one.

None of my builds ever had that issue. ( excessive blow by. ) What type of piston and pings is he using?

On the carb. Not to sure what year bike you have but my Preddy never had a fitting on the carb that the trans vent line hooked to????  On my bike the vent line hooked to the air box. They did this for EPA reasons only. First mod I did was pull that line and put a filter on it.

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
Jimmy Williams Jr

Reply with quote  #37 
I know this is an old Post,but I have the same problem with oil puking out of my crankcase hose on my 05 predator tld. I have the cfm oil tank with the three holes in the middle. I have replaced everything on mine with aftermarket parts. The mechanic just told me that sometimes heavily modified quads have problems like some mods don't work good with others. I told him to just order a OEM tank n put it on n see if that does it. I run amzoil oil in mine.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190802_112058337.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 240.51 KB 

Jimmy Williams Jr

Reply with quote  #38 
Finally have my oil puking out of crankcase hose fixed!!! Mechanic just told me he rerouted the oil lines n the problem is gone. At $10.00 a quart (amzoil) I was about to go broke putting oil in it. He also purged the oil lines, which is really what done it. I now have the CFM airbox connected to a fcr 450r carb. Takes some modifications but it was worth it.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190822_045156265.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 301.16 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.