Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
foresteronw

Reply with quote  #1 

I'm new to the ATV world so bare with me, I may be paranoid about this.

I recently purchased a 2007 Outlaw 525 IRS.  I change the oil last week, installed new K&N oil filters (both of them) and added Polaris oil (whatever the dealer recommended).  As soon as the oil was changed I started it up and let it run for about five minutes.  The oil looks jet black already through the site glass with a light.  Is that normal? 

My experience is with motorcycles and with them it wouldn't do that.  I know in the manual it says something about an oil screen but I'm not sure what that is all about.

Feel free to tell me to settle down if I'm looking too much into this.

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #2 
There are two oil screens on the Outlaw 525 in addition to the drain plug.  One screen is near the shifter under a hex head plug (be careful not to drop the screen inside the motor) and one is in the center bottom case under a torx head plug.  While the drain plug is on the back edge of the case.  It is easiest to see and access the bottom screen if you remove the skid plate.  If you didn't remove and inspect the bottom screen, you probably didn't get all of the old oil drained which may explain why your oil turned dark quickly.

Reply with quote  #3 
OK awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I'll do that on my next oil change.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.