Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
foresteronw

Reply with quote  #1 

I bought a 525 IRS last night.  I'm going to need to do a few things to it but I wanted to get some advice before I do.  Here is my list of questions and thanks in advance for your advice.

1.  The rear upper A arm bushings have a lot of play in them (yes they have the grease fittings.  I'm going to attempt to clean/grease them but I know they need to be replaced.  Any advice on where to start with that?

2.  The exhaust is an FMF slip-on.  The problem is that it doesn't have a spark arrestor and for whatever reasons they welded the cap back on.  I'm going to bight the bullet and just buy a new slip-on (I'm not that worried about looks but the welds look like giant piles of snot).  If you were replacing the slip-on which one would you go with?  Make and model would be awesome!

3.  It looks like this thing has been lowered.  The front end is much lower than my friends YFV 450.  Keep in mind I just got it last night and haven't had time to go through it.  The add even said "can be lowered however you would like".  So I'm assuming they just bottomed out the shocks.  Any advice on how to bring it back up to stock height?

4.  They put SS rims on it and I believe it gave her a big butt.  We measured the width at the rear tires, from outer edge to outer edge, and it's 53.5".  That seems awfully wide.  Is that due to the rims or is that normal width for these machines?

5.  If you were going to replace brakes which components would you go with? 

Again guys thanks in advance.

reidky

Reply with quote  #2 
What year is the machine? The upper bushings might actually be a needle bearing (BH 1012) Just in the process of redoing all my bushings and bearings in the rear and it has 10 needle bearings total.
foresteronw

Reply with quote  #3 
It's a 2007 so it has the crap bushings.
foresteronw

Reply with quote  #4 
So the front brakes seemed like they weren't working today.  I took a look and found that the sight glass on the front brake reservoir is broken.  So I had to order a new one.  I also ordered a new sight glass from ebay and I'll see if I can fix the old one.  If not oh well haha.
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Welcome to the forum! SS never made the IRS wheels,  so I'm sure there standard off set for a straight axle!  RK is trying to get enough people to have Douglas make the wheels again but we need to get 16 pairs done at a time. Post pictures and questions and we will all help get her dialed in. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Reply with quote  #6 

I started going through it today and found that the chain was work out.  When I jacked the back end off the ground I was almost able to take the chain off of the rear sprocket without loosening the tensioner.  I ended up putting on a new EK 520 chain.  

I cleaned the bike up (after the pics) to look for any other issues I may have missed.  So far nothing...I'm not complaining.

Here are some pics:

foresteronw

Reply with quote  #7 

The person I bought this from had "lowered" the quad by letting the springs out as far as he could.  We went through the suspension last night and set it for my body weight.  It looks like it's sitting the way it should not, but more important the suspension is set where it should be. 

I need new front tires and I think when I do I'm going to put the new fronts and rears that I have now back on the stock rims.  I don't hate the way the aftermarket ones look but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the wide butt that this thing has. 

This week I have a lot to do:

• I'll be replacing the front brake control and getting the front brakes working again.
  • Replacing the FMF pipe with an HMF pipe.  I ordered a jet kit and may need some advice on that as well
  • Pulling the plastics off the front and repairing a broken clip around the headlight
  • De-greasing and cleaning as much of this bike as I can then grease the entire suspension
  • Change the oil and filters
  • Install a K&N air filter

I'm supposed to go riding this weekend if this all goes well. 

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #8 
While replacing the front brake controls, you might consider going to a 09+.  It gives you the adjustable brake lever. 

Reply with quote  #9 
Crap, I wish I knew that I already ordered it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.