Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
tetonw

Reply with quote  #1 
I currently own a 700xx and have owned it for about 8 months. Before I put more money into upgrades I want to make sure it is or is not the quad i want. Before I bought it I was seriously looking at the outlaw 525 IRS. The cv boot issue scared me away. I have recently found out that if it tear it is not expensive to fix. I know every quad is going to have some issues. What is it you guys love about this Quad, and what are the things you don't like about this quad? Also I seen some videos on youtube of it handling like a SRA do you have to have a stiffer sway bar for the quad to handle like that? Also what is the best year outlaw to get.

Thanks in advance.
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
Welll my point over a 700xx is I don't drive a tank and yes stiffer sway bar, and I love it!!!!! Lol

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #3 
I was in the same boat.  I'd been looking at both the 700xx and the Outlaw for a loooooong time.  I think both are good quads and both have their idiosyncrasies.  I would have been happy with either, but I just recently picked up an '09 outlaw irs.  So far I am happy with my decision for several reasons:

1.  This was by far the cleanest quad of dozens I'd looked at.
2.  Fox shocks all the way around (at least on 09+).  I would have had to replace or revalve shocks on the 700xx to have something comparable.
3.  Handling.  I would have had to replace the 700xx swaybar with something thicker to address body roll.  Even stock the Outlaw feels less tippy.
4.  Weight.  They say the weight isn't noticeable while riding the 700xx.  I'd agree, but I definitely noticed it when trying to pick up the back end.  Weight is relative, though.  If you come from sport quads the 700xx feels heavy.  If you come from utility quads the 700xx feels like a feather.
5.  Parts.  Now that I work for a Polaris dealer it was easier and more affordable to get parts.
6.  Size.  The 700xx felt familiar with typical Honda ergonomics similar to my 400ex.  But the outlaw actually felt roomier to me, which is nice for a tall guy.

Maintenance for the Outlaw probably has a few extra steps.  But it always bothered me that Honda never puts grease fittings on their quads. At least not on my 400ex or the 700xx from what I've seen.

Honda has a reputation for reliability and fit/finish.  My experience with the Outlaw remains to be seen as I've had it for less than a week.

Personally I like the 09 and later Outlaws the best.  Fasteners have been more standardized and reduced in number.  They are slightly lighter than earlier models.  I feel the seat and peg arrangement are better.  They have Fox shocks.  The steering system has less moving parts to wear compared to earlier models.  Just my opinion.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Sway bar is no longer an issue. We have a unit that you can
adjust stiffness rates.

I'm personally not an IRS guy, but seems most of the R&D keeps
going on the 525 IRS.....Never been near a 700xx. Everything I
do know about them are side bar comments. But I do know, the
biggest thing that would keep me from buying the Honda is the
weird wheel size that forces you to a limited tire selection. The
other would be that Honda did'nt make many after the bike was'nt
selling. The economy helped in this but, many more Polaris units
were sold with that 525KTM motor which puts you in a better parts
world.

Fuj

Reply with quote  #5 
http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/predator-and-outlaw-knowall-thread-read-this-first-6817922?pid=1282129113#post1282129113

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks everyone for your input you have been very helpful.  I will review all the information and see if I can find a few to look at.
tetonw

Reply with quote  #7 
RKangel I forgot to ask did you have a chance to test ride the 700xx?  Glad to hear you are happy with the 525 IRS and I see that you were in the same boat.  
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonw
RKangel I forgot to ask did you have a chance to test ride the 700xx?  Glad to hear you are happy with the 525 IRS and I see that you were in the same boat.  

I knew I wanted an IRS sport quad to save my back from the beating it takes from solid axle sport quads.  Since I ride dunes and dirt I wanted something that could handle well and have more power than my 400ex.  I looked at and test rode several 700xx's during my search.  They were comfortable with the typical Honda refinement.  However, I knew after test riding them that I would have to address the suspension/handling situation.  Which meant a large chunk of my budget would have gone to shocks and a sway bar, and less to the quad itself.   Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you look at it), every 700xx I looked at was either way over-priced, or in very rough condition. 

As it happened I found a extremely clean Outlaw with almost no ride time on it.  I'd ridden a friends '07 Outlaw before and found it handled fairly well compared to a solid axle quad.  I also knew the Outlaw had its own idiosyncrasies, such as the CV boots, and a couple normal wear items like wheel bearings, which could be upgraded when they need replacing.  But it also had good bones like the KTM motor, Fox shocks, and more common wheel sizing for future tire selection.  

I could have gone with either quad.  If I had found the right deal on the right 700xx, I may have taken it home.  In the end I think I found a good deal on a great quad.  Time will tell, but I hope I am just as happy with it in the future.

Reply with quote  #9 
That's good.  Good luck with it.  I would think the change Polaris did to the 09 model with the 10 in rims may help with the problem with the cv boots since there is more clearance in the wheel well.  BTW have you tested to see what is the top speed? 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #10 
From my observations, the cv boots tearing seem to be 2 separate problems combined (neither having to do with the rims).  1) they are soft and exposed- this can be helped by adding rear guards for the a-arms and 2) they are stretched at a pretty good angle - especially when the rear end is off the ground.   I have no easy suggestions to fix this, but lowering the quad by using lowering adapters or shortened shocks should help.  I know that with my shortened rear shocks, there looks to be allot less tension on the boots.   

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #11 
The inner CV's are the problem. 

They went to 10" rear rims to help clear the a-arms.  You can run 9's on all models but they may scrape a bit if there's trash in the rim.  You MUST run 10's if you have cut shocks. 

Top speed should be about 72-73 with stock gearing.

Reply with quote  #12 
i have an 08 525 IRS and i love it.... i was looking at raptors and predators before the IRS came out never pulled trigger so few years went by and it was 2010 i seen ad in paper for brand new 2008 IRS or SA still crated and i knew it now or never cuz i didnt like the 09 front end i like dual lights that look eyes... so i got mine 5500 brand new and i babied it followed break in procedure only problems i have had is throttle nut wasnt tight so adjustment came out causeing it to not start (fail safe if contacts touch) took it to dealer not one who i bought it from long story short the dealer that put it together did half ass job also didnt complete recall on rear sprocket so they hooked me up with that too... since then ive been ripping and riding with no issues just oil changes and chain adjustment i put yoshi pipe on it because spark arrestor in stock pipe broke... but this is my first sport quad and i simply love it it handles like a dream i can throw it around and it has power to kick out any time i want.  it has amazing low end grunt and irs is awesome on uneven hills it just soaks up bumps and digs down pulls you up any hill or terrian.  yet its light enough if need be you can pick it up if you get stuck not like a sportsman.. i never rode a honda 700 i do know the outlaw is simpler because outlaw is carb not computer EFI... polaris is also the first sport IRS and is based off sportman IRS that is one of best in the world polaris is on point with there design technolgy ill never own another company quad between me n my dad we own 3 polaris trail boss and there tough as nails.  like i said i cant compare never rode honda 700 all i know is i love my outlaw and these guys are the best on this site to help and toublshoot any problems on these machines
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.