Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #1 
Just traded my crf450r for a 2006 yfz 450. I know i was telling you guys about the guy that wanted to trade my bike for his 2003 predator, but this guy contacted me a couple days ago and said he would come to me. So i told the guy to come in the morning today so i could check out the quad, and if i didn't like the yfz i arranged for the predator guy to meet me right after. Needless to say, i liked the 450. It feels a lot more stable and  lighter than my 525. Though, to my surprise (kinda), it doesn't feel nearly as fast as the outlaw... don't get me wrong, the bike pulls, it just seems that the 525 is gonna put a hurting on it if we drag. I think i may have put the yfz's on a bit of a pedestal since that's all you hear when it comes to fast 4-stroke drag quads, but to the yfz's credit, it is stock - only the baffle is removed. I do plan on putting a full hmf pipe, found one used on ebay for $260. Also plan on removing the lid to let the uni filter breathe better and doing the oh-so-great cam mod. From what i hear, those alone should put me in the 43-46 hp range (more if i'm lucky). I do plan on getting some video of the yfz and 525 racing, so stay tuned for that - but like i said, i honestly dont think it's gonna be pretty for the yfz...

There is one problem i would like to ask for help on though, the quad has this weird hanging idle that the owner couldn't figure out... when i'm riding it and come to stop or simply pull the clutch in, it will begin to rev like if i'm pushing the throttle? As anyone had this problem before with their quad? 

I'll try and have pics of it soon (though it really isn't anything special). And if any of you other yfz owners have any advice/tips/hints on this things i'm all ears - or eyes in this case.

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
very cool congrats. a hanging idle is usually a lean condition. that is usually caused by an intake leak. i would spray the intake boot and carb boot with starting fluid while it is running and see if it revs up. that will show you where the leak is. if it is lean that would explain it being flat on power. no matter what it will have a hard time beating ta well tuned 525. a good running yfz with intake exhaust and jetting should be no slouch though.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #3 
I will definitely give that a try, leo. It is a decently fast bike for begin stock, i guess i had my hopes too high due to all the reading i've done on them. I am very curious on how much difference i'm going to feel with the cam mod..... and it's a huge plus that it's free lol I guess i'm going to have to make an account over in yfzcentral so i can get some info on jetting recommendations. i know how much of a help you gave me on jetting my 525. 
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If your gonna build a yfz for power, Dasa exhaust, seems to be the best choice, Big bore and stroked and bored carb then it will run neck and neck with the outlaw  add good cams and there is a little more, slight porting and bigger exhaust  valves, no real need to do over size intake valves. stay at 12.5 to 1 for pump gas. Add a dyna tech cdi ( adjustable ) Use a good intake such as fuel customs intakes.  Remember they have crank bearing short life. I worked on so many I hate the YFZ with a passion just because it's over hyped Any of the sport quads can made to be better , it's all a preference . But it was what kept the shop making money. I still find myself working on them for a few of my long standing customers.

Reply with quote  #5 
Maybe some time far down the road i'll do a big bore, cams, and porting - but for now i think i'll just do he basics starting with the a full exhaust. I would love to buy a dasa, sparks, rossier, or any of the big power making pipes, but i am on a bit of a budget. The used hmf sport serious full exhaust was only $260 on ebay, but i'm not going to be buying one for another few weeks so i will be looking for better deals meantime. This sucker does get HOT pretty quick after start up! Is that just a normal thing for 450's? I have been looking at those oversized radiators on ebay, they're around $100 and are a bit larger than stock. Anyone have experience with them?  Any telltale sign the crank bearing might be going? What did your shop charge to replace the crank bearing?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The yfz 450 all run best around 195. Have put two oversize radiators in, help a little . Check to make sure your fins are really clean. wash them twice! Also double check your water pump impeller, many are worn down and fins not the right shape.

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the info! I'm going to give it a good cleaning next weekend and add engine ice to it. The previous guy deleted the coolant reservoir... is that a normal thing to do for yfz's??? I'm going to try and get the idle issue and cleaning done all at the same time but i wont have time until next week.
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #8 
most coolant reservoirs get broke and people think the really don't need them..... I would always replace them. 

Reply with quote  #9 
Here's a couple pics of it. Like I said, nothing special. She is dirty and the plastics are a little rough and i just took off some ugly graphics the previous guy had before. I do need to buy some heel guards and nets. I am going to use my old itp baja rims i had on my raptor and those itp HDs that are next to the quad.  

20150525_165313.jpg 

TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #10 
20150525_165303.jpg 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #11 
As far as running hot, if it is a little lean, this will cause a bit of a heat problem also. I'd step up the main jet a size or two.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #12 
The jetting is what i'm guessing it is too... I'm gonna do some research on what these quads run stock with no baffle and what they run with a pipe, that way i can order all the jets  i need in one go. 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
nice looking blue machine. i like it!

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks! I'm probably going to make this thread similar to your trx 450 thread as i go along with modding it, only it wont look as nice as yours since i'm just going to be doing basic nets, bumper, and pipe. And the pipe wont be for a while lol. Though, like i said on my previous post, i do plan on getting video of the 450 and 525 going head-to-head. First with the yfz stock then with the pipe and cam mod.  
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #15 
Could anyone tell me if the if the main jets on the yfz and outlaw the same? Their carbs are essentially the same, right? I have a a few main jets sitting around from the outlaw and was just wondering before i do my order from jet-r-us.
Fossil85

Wisconsin Redneck
Reply with quote  #16 
I do believe they are both Keihin FCR 39, so they should be the same jets.
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks! That should save me a few dollars on my order 
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #18 
Finally got around to trying out the yfz with the 525. Let me first start by saying I may have been a little harsh on the yfz about its power.... turns out the jetting was way off. It was still no match for the for the Outlaw but compared to what I thought it was going to do to it, it did alright...kinda.. The longer the race went, the worse it was for the yfz. I'm guessing the 525 has at least 3-4 mph on the yfz topped out. The 450 putts up a fight the first couple gears. Note, we had to do 2nd gear rolls since it was on pavement and the 525 is a wheelie-holic.  I still haven't figured out the hanging idle (you can hear it in the video) but i'll be working on it this or next weekend. Anyway, big 3 for the yfz are coming and we'll see how it does then. Enjoy!

TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #19 
DAMN!!! Wtf did youtube do to my video?!? It's shaky as hell!! Sorry guys lol

**Never mind, they fixed it

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Glad you got the Dasa!!

Reply with quote  #21 
Early X-mas present from my brother.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.