Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Well I haven't posted on the site in quite a while.  My last trip out to Hatfield McCoy was in 30 degree, wet and cold weather, and to be honest I had enough of the sport quad.  I was the only one in the group just miserable and realized that the shortcomings of the outlaw were outweighing the fun of the sport quad's ability to wheelie and jump on command. 

That being said, my Outlaw is now up for sale.  I was able to purchase a 2013 Polaris Scrambler 850xp with 120 miles on it at 1.44 hours for $6500.  Yes, that's correct, $6500.  The guy owned a car dealership and bought the 850 scrambler based on his previous 500 he owned.  He said, and I quote "When they were pulling it off the truck at my house and started it up, I knew it was NOT the quad for me".  Haha!!

So here she is, just rode it for the first time this weekend.  Insane power, great handling. The only thing I'm adding right away is power steering.  The model I purchased did not have it, but I know it can be added.  That being said, anyone know of a good aftermarket PS kit?

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
very cool jim i hope you love it as much as you did the outlaw at first.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOGM5150
very cool jim i hope you love it as much as you did the outlaw at first.

In a perfect world I would own both! The Outlaw's raw power and all around nimble capabilities kick ass. But being the muddiest, wettest, and coldest person all the time was getting old

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
yeah i hear you. i would have either had to switch machines myself or just stop riding when it is cold wet or muddy and sloppy. i pretty much became a fair weather rider. i work in the cold snow ice and slop for half the year or more so i just have no interest in playing in it when i get home. it sounds like you got an amazing deal i am glad to hear that also.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Kmack

Reply with quote  #5 
Very nice, looks like brand new. Really good deal.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #6 
And that's why I have both.  [wink]

As for power steering, check out Super ATV.  They have great prices and a good unit.  They are coming out with a larger wattage unit within the next month that is more suited for the quads since they don't have the mechanical advantage of the side by sides.

But what I really want to know is how in the heck that thing got 120 miles in 1.44 hours;  that's an average of 83mph!  Any way you look at it, that's a darn good price!

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
I was wondering about that mileage myself.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Kmack

Reply with quote  #8 
He told you........It's FAST!!!!!!!

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I read the hours prior to my last ride.  It's at 6.1 hours 126 miles [smile]

Nick should I wait for the Super ATV new unit to come out before I purchase?

Reply with quote  #10 
Cool, its amazing how practical these Obese 4x4's are!  [smile]  I'll never go back to a Sport Quad again!  
Enjoy it!

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Called and talked with Jeremy over at SuperATV. What a knowledgable guy!  He suggested definitely waiting for the newer unit to come out, should be sometime around June. 

Reply with quote  #12 
im in the same boat.  said id never own a 4x4 and now im looking at the scrammy also.  north jersey isnt good for an outlaw.  tell us more about it.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #13 
It rips. It's not nearly the nimble machine the Outlaw is, but still fast in other ways. Again it's two different animals. I like ripping wheelies and jumping, and I can at least still rip wheelies all day on this thing. I ran into some guys with sport quads and thought wow that looks so fun. Then saw them all an hour later and they were covered in mud and soaked. It wasn't even real bad out. But it reaffirmed that I made a good buy.

That being said, I may try and find a whooped sport quad to make a project. Something $1000 or less that I can work on. I would like to use some of the cash from my current outlaw to make some mods to the scrambler

Reply with quote  #14 
Yup, Jeremy is who I talked to about it too.  I'm looking into a system for a project, and he steered me (pun intended) towards the larger unit that's not released yet.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Nick
Yup, Jeremy is who I talked to about it too.  I'm looking into a system for a project, and he steered me (pun intended) towards the larger unit that's not released yet.

now that right there was punny i don't care who you are.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Deadman

Reply with quote  #16 
That thing got the Remote Reservoir shocks on it, or is that a special package?

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #17 
The "LE" model Scrambler features HID headlights, power steering, and the Fox remote reservoir shocks.  This is just the base model, so I'll have to add my own bling over time.  To be honest, for what I paid for this, I'm thinking the suspension on an 800 lb machine has to be somewhat decent from the factory.  I know the fox shocks are better (duh) but I will probably run these into the ground then upgrade at some point.

Reply with quote  #18 
Don't get your undies too tied up;  the "Fox" shocks on the Scrambler LE aren't really Fox shocks.  All the internals are non-standard sizes.

Interested in some 30" Zillas on 09 850 cast wheels?  haha

Reply with quote  #19 
Congrats on the smokin deal, half of what I paid for mine...I know there's not a single time where I would rather have my predator back.
-Cecco Rear A-arm Braces
-NGK Sparkys
-2" Receiver Hitch
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Smokey that 1000 is an absolute monster.  I thought the 850 was powerful and fast....then I got on a 1000.  The 850 is still fast to me, but the 1000 gave a whole new meaning to the name "powerful".  You physically cannot bend your arms when you pin the throttle on those machines.....

Smokey can you post a full size pic of your machine?  I know one of the things I'm definitely going to upgrade are the wheels/tires.  What did you put on your 1000?

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawJim
Smokey that 1000 is an absolute monster.  I thought the 850 was powerful and fast....then I got on a 1000.  The 850 is still fast to me, but the 1000 gave a whole new meaning to the name "powerful".  You physically cannot bend your arms when you pin the throttle on those machines.....

Smokey can you post a full size pic of your machine?  I know one of the things I'm definitely going to upgrade are the wheels/tires.  What did you put on your 1000?

There's a few pic in the thread below. I haven't swapped out tires yet, but there are only 2 tires I would put on...either the maxxis 4 speed or bear claw htr. If I go with bear claws I'll do a clutch kit at the same time to not feel the power loss.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/awesome-day-on-the-1k-6860955?pid=1282465505#post1282465505

-Cecco Rear A-arm Braces
-NGK Sparkys
-2" Receiver Hitch
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #22 
Carlisle Black Rock tires are another option.  19.3lb fronts and 22.5lb rears.  Stockers are 16.6 front and 21.7 rear.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Well Deadman, looks like I can officially call myself an ass. Rode a Can Am 1000 last night. Handling is insane. Scrambler is up for sale.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #24 
LOL ^^^^

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #25 
Now that is funny.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #26 
What year should I look for? Did they all have the frame issue? I may even settle for the 800 if I find one at a good price. So who wants a Scrambler 850?

Reply with quote  #27 
Wow....that good, huh?  Now I'm really concerned to ride his 1k.

Mainly the 12's had the frame issue.  The 13's should have had the brace from the factory.  Now you just have to be careful so you don't explode your rear differential.  [wink]  

Oh, just make sure you get an XXC.

Reply with quote  #28 
Ya, the 12's had no frame brace, so they got one bolted on for free and got a 7 year frame warranty from Can-am!  The later 12's had the brace welded on.  My frame brace is laying on my work bench and my frame is just fine.  I think you needed to be a real animal to break them without the brace, but I do plan on installing my brace eventually!  lol  

I don't think they changed much if anything in the newer ones, "maybe' they got updated gauge cluster?  I know the outlanders got updated gauges, but I don't remember if the Renegade got updates there or not.  

The rear Differentials, hell I hear a bunch of them breaking, but I beat the tar out of mine and its just fine. Honestly, 90% of the can am guys are running 30 inch mud tires and huge lifts, so they should expect to break parts in my opinion.  I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, but do look at the one you consider to purchase!  

What did you think of the "snappy instant power" on the Can am?  I know the Sportsman makes a couple more ponies now, but I know they are very lazy in comparison on power delivery.   You want to make the Can am 1000 Scoot?....Muzzy pipe and programmer makes 11 WHP, so bye bye Sportsman 1,000!  Want MORE ponies, throw on a tune monster ignition and grab close to 10 more ponies.  Want serious power?...throw on Maverick heads, pistons and cams and find around 20 more ponies!  NOW you have a fricken Monster between your legs!  [smile]

I never knew for sure, but I recently confirmed that the Renegade uses all different suspension geometry than the Outlander, so it handles great.  Its not just an Outlander with less plastic like the Sportsman is.   The front a arms are all different, etc for aggressive handling characteristics!  

I'm not saying they are the best thing because I own one, but any way I crunch the numbers and stats I can't even see the Scrambler as much competition assuming you are willing to throw a pipe and programmer at the can am to push the HP up.   I absolutely LOVE mine, it does everything I could ever imagine an atv to do and it does it with such ease and comfort that it forces you to just giggle and grin!  

I wouldn't buy an 800.  The 1000 makes the torque and has the low end grunt that makes you giggle.  They aren't cheap, so don't expect to find one super cheap unless its been beat.  Be careful with used ones, because I'm very serious when I say most can am guys throw mud tires on and submerge them.  They like the HP for the mud, so hopefully you don't get one that was drowned........

Glad you liked the "Ham"!  [smile] 

Reply with quote  #29 
Oh, yes indeed get the X XC like Nick said.  You get all the goodies, power steering, REAL Fox Podium X 2.0 shocks, quick engage disco-lock front differential, beadlocks, Aluminum handlebars, and of course a bunch of Stickers!  

The power steering is awesome on these because you can select between low medium or high assist.  I would be pissed if I couldn't adjust that.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I know the 1000 is wicked, but the 800 is no slouch that's for sure. The snap is wicked. My buddy also has an 800 Outlander with power steer and it's a sweet machine. The suspension is definitely more push on the Can Am. Don't get me wrong. The scrambler rips. But like the handling on the Can Am better. If I do get an 800 I can probably save another $2k and dump it into additions. Do all 1000s have power steering? Found this one and it's sweet

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/sno/4436930911.html

So in terms of the 800s, do the XXC also have the nice suspension and power steering options?

KHill118
Reply with quote  #31 
yowza $
83,500 lol

-IXCR #118
08' KTM 450xc
10' Polaris Outlaw 576 XCR 
07' Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #32 
LOL!!! Yeah, I'm thinking, I like the Yellow Beast, but.............

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
Deadman

Reply with quote  #33 
XXC 800 is identical except has shorter stroke engine. Everything else identical, suspension etc.
Uses same cylinders even.

The throttle response has me addicted! Its nuts how it rips the front wheels up into the sky with just a flick of throttle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawJim
I know the 1000 is wicked, but the 800 is no slouch that's for sure. The snap is wicked. My buddy also has an 800 Outlander with power steer and it's a sweet machine. The suspension is definitely more push on the Can Am. Don't get me wrong. The scrambler rips. But like the handling on the Can Am better. If I do get an 800 I can probably save another $2k and dump it into additions. Do all 1000s have power steering? Found this one and it's sweet

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/sno/4436930911.html

So in terms of the 800s, do the XXC also have the nice suspension and power steering options?

Reply with quote  #34 
ONLY the XXC models have power steering (both 800 and 1k).  You either get bone stock (yellow quad you posted), or loaded (black and yellow XXC).

I've also looked up some part numbers, and the a-arms are the same as Outlanders.  They may have changed geometry on the frame, so I'm not sure.

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
ONLY the XXC models have power steering (both 800 and 1k).  You either get bone stock (yellow quad you posted), or loaded (black and yellow XXC).

I've also looked up some part numbers, and the a-arms are the same as Outlanders.  They may have changed geometry on the frame, so I'm not sure.

So your saying I read misinformation on the internet?  I didn't think it was possible!  

I'd really like to know the specifics on this, but NOBODY on the can am sites cares about anything other than "How big of tires can I fit under it"!   Fn retards!  

Reply with quote  #36 
haha  That is very possible!

Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
haha  That is very possible!

Look at or join the group on Facebook called can am monsters. Its insane. Lifts beyond belief, 30-34 inch tires, arches a arms, N2O, etc.

Reply with quote  #38 
I would NOT save the $$$$ and buy the standard model.  The X XC is head and shoulders above the standard model.  The shocks alone are worth it, muchless the power steering, QE Visco Lock, Beadlocks, hand guards, etc......

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #39 
I've been talked off the ledge.....for now.  So looking at what a 1000 xxc would cost in comparison to maybe beefing this quad up a bit, I could put $2,000 into this machine and it would be pretty bad ass, with $2k still in my pocket vs the 1000.  I am not disappointed with the motor on this machine whatsoever, it hauls.  I may put a clutch kit in it to get more snap in the trottle. 

That being said, what are some good 4x4 tires for all around trail riding?  I don't want any silverbacks or outlaws, lol.  Also, some suggestions on some sweet wheels? 

I am going to order some Cecco foot pegs and possibly some flex bars, but will need to do the speedo relocation.  Anyone done this yet?

Reply with quote  #40 
I see your point, but at the same time you will never be as happy putting bandaids on your second favorite machine.  Then you will have all the f'n around getting all these aftermarket parts working and working "properly".  The Canned Ham is engineered, warrantied, and DONE, ready to ride!   Your Scrambler will need all kinds of "XYZ" mods, and you will need to be the engineer to make all these things work in conjunction with each other.  

Not saying its impossible, but I'll be the first to say it will never be as good as the factory engineered complete unit that costs more!  I learned that the hard way previously!  

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #41 

All my buddies run 800s.  The 850 scrambler will smoke an 800 renegade or outlander in their stock forms.  I'm happy with the power like I said, but I wish I would have got power steering.  Rather than dump another $5k into another quad, I'll dump $2 into this and it will be wicked. 

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Just got some Cecco A-Arm braces.  Next is moving the speedo to the gastank and getting some Flexx bars. 

Reply with quote  #43 
The a-arm braces will probably be a bitch and Rox is working on a dash so you can run flexx bars and leave the speedo in the stock location if you feel like waiting. 

The link below is to a thread on another site which has some good install advice on the a-arm braces.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-scrambler-xp/45953-polaris-xp-frame-brace-install.html

-Cecco Rear A-arm Braces
-NGK Sparkys
-2" Receiver Hitch
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Smokey do you know if Rox ever came out with the dash as of yet? 

Reply with quote  #45 
I'm not sure man, I can't find anything on it...best bet would be to give them a call.
-Cecco Rear A-arm Braces
-NGK Sparkys
-2" Receiver Hitch
Smokey

Reply with quote  #46 
Just got word that the dash piece is ready from ROX, you will need to call them to order it though.
-Cecco Rear A-arm Braces
-NGK Sparkys
-2" Receiver Hitch
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.