Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Jcooksey

Reply with quote  #1 
Well finally got back to Vegas from Coos Bay and went to start my Outlaw 525 , it started in neutral but as soon as I pulled in the clutch it would die, also it wont start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Any suggestions? I have a lot of work to do to this machine , CV boots , also has an oil leak somewhere that is really getting to be very annoying. I like the machine but starting to wonder whether I picked up somebody's lemon . The oil leak seems to be either form around the shift shaft or the counter shaft area , I have new seals coming.
My big concern is the electrical, also I got it wet in the ocean water once up in Oregon and it quit running, not sure what to look for there.
Did have a blast in Oregon though rode the piss out of my KTM XC 450 with no problems whatsoever.
Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks .
Jim Cooksey
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #2 
It sounds like your clutch safety switch.  I've had to repair or replace safety switches, starter switches, kill switches, headlight switches, etc...  It's usually because of dirt or corrosion.  Salt water is especially problematic.  It is very corrosive to metal and electrical components.  As such I avoid riding in ocean water or in the wet tidal sand at all costs. 

I would start at the start/light/kill switch pod.  Check the connections and contacts for corrosion or dirt, clean them with contact cleaner, and add some dielectric grease to help keep water out in the future. 

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, I will get right on those connections ,that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately .
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
If it helps, it's pretty easy to bypass the clutch switch.  

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Jcooksey

Reply with quote  #5 
How do you go about bypassing it?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
Its been awhile, but I think you can just connect the 2 wires together.   

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Jcooksey

Reply with quote  #7 
The oil leak I have been chasing was the o ring on the gear position sensor, and to top that off the bottom hole was stripped and wasn't tightening like it should. Heli coiled it and new o ring and we are good as new again.
Jcooksey

Reply with quote  #8 
I also bypassed the clutch switch, everything is working great on this thing!
Kmack

Reply with quote  #9 
Cool deal. Now time to ride!!!!

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Next time you come up to ride Oregon dunes, hit me up. Just give me a few weeks notice!!!

Reply with quote  #11 
Will do I think we are going to try and make Dune Fest next year.
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #12 
Camping/Lodging for Dune Fest fills up pretty quickly if you're staying anywhere near Winchester Bay.  I recommend reserving and registering early.

Reply with quote  #13 
will do, thanks for the heads up.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.