Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #1 
Did my first oil change after getting this quad yesterday, 525 irs 07'. When I took out the plug on the left side, I did not see a long oil strainer....
Got my flashlight, and saw it laying in the corner so I thought I should try fish it out with a magnetic stick just to try. Heard a click and took it out to see.
I found something looking like a broken clip from perhaps clutch?
Anyways, I freaked out so hopefully you guys can give me a explanation to what this is :/
Im trying to upload a picture

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 72, Size: 647.13 KB 

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
What is it? Well, its trouble. 
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #3 
There has been a rebuild on this engine, gonna call tomorrow to see what they did.
Engine runs very good, doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Could this be from before the rebuild? Leftovers that hasnt been found?
Where exactly does the metal part come from if I dear ask [frown]?
ORION

Reply with quote  #4 
I just looked over all the engine schematics, and I cant find anything that looks like that. I'm sure one of these guys will recognize it though. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #5 
Looks kinda "Starter Sprag-ish" parts to me... is it starting ok?

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes its starting within a millisecond when hitting the button! There's no excess engine noise, no grinding.
Purrs like a kitten and shifting is fine(neutral can be hard at times but I got the hang of it)

Im hoping this is leftovers from before rebuild was done. Just curious to what it is and why:/
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #7 
Looks like half of the side plate for the starter sprag/one way clutch (The black/dark grey retaining ring in the picture below).  If they missed that during the rebuild I would be looking for a different shop.  If it broke after the rebuild I would be concerned about other damage.  Either way it shouldn't be floating around in your motor. 

s-l400.jpg

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes looks like it!
Would it not work if this wasnt fixed? I hope not the rest of the ring is still in there :/
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey it looks like I guessed right.  lol
Honestly I have no idea how it would start with it broken... but I could be wrong. It would bug me so much that I'd have to pull the cover and gear to look at it to see if it was ok.  While I was thee I'd use a magnet and check for more stuff.  Theres a bunch of small parts in those sprags ("One way clutch").

Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #10 
Its bugging the hell outta me [tongue]
But I believe its leftovers, otherwise how would it run and start flawless?
How did this piece of metal end up within the long strainer room in the engine? Couldnt see any other way in but trough the tiny hole and strainer?
ORION

Reply with quote  #11 
emwi1450542157428.jpg 
ORION

Reply with quote  #12 
These types of cameras are inexpensive, and can be snaked into hard to see places. Perhaps it might be able to see more broken parts or even the one way clutch. You can get a similar cam that connects to a smart phone for about $15 on eBay. Rockymountainatv has free exploded views and diagrams of the engine, just look in the OEM sections. 
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks a lot for the tips [smile]

Im actually glad this engine has 2 strainers and 2 filters now haha!

Have ridden it maybe 2 hours, starts easy and runs strong!

Gonna look into bying that camera, looks real handy!

Thanks
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #14 
Yah, the RFS engines have no shortage of screens and filters inside for sure. 

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitsterpits
Its bugging the hell outta me [tongue] But I believe its leftovers, otherwise how would it run and start flawless? How did this piece of metal end up within the long strainer room in the engine? Couldnt see any other way in but trough the tiny hole and strainer?

My concern would be the fact that there are any "leftovers" to begin with.  Missing a chunk of metal this big, and leaving it in the case, casts doubt on the quality of the rest of the work the builder did to the motor.  At the very least I would ask the builder to explain themselves. 

There may be little recourse if the previous owner did the rebuild himself, but it's worth a try.

Reply with quote  #16 
I tried fishing for information about the rebuild today, unfortunately I found out that the Ktm shop had closed down. And the first owner is unknown at this stage.

The repair or rebuild cost him between 10.000-15.000NOK.(2000-3000USD) Thats pretty much all I know!
Its also been fitted with twist-throttle, Oberon clutch cylinder and a few other upgrades.

As of now Im just gonna stay calm and have fun with it! If it shows any signs of hard starting I know what the problem is and it's a easy fix [wink]

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #17 
Honestly, I would at the very least pull the side cover off an pull the gears and inspect your sprag.  If it has come apart, its going to dump allot more parts and shavings into your motor. Take an hour or so now and inspect it before theres a really expensive problem. 

Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #18 
I could do that ofc, would I need a puller?
Mick

Reply with quote  #19 
Take it apart dude, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night never mind ride the thing after finding that! You don't need a puller to totally strip the right side of the rfs motor, if you're car full you might not even need a new gasket. While in there check the torque on the crank shaft nut and make sure it has lock tight on it.(careful it's a left handed thread, and made of alloy!!!)
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #20 
Alright will do [smile] Does the clutch basket need removing?

I checked the oil for metal debris and there were none, just a small amount on the magnetic drain plug.

Anyone else having a tiny leak on the stator cover?? Had it off yesterday, cleaned it a bit and re tightened. Still leaking a bit. Its comming out right above the top right bolt, where the wiring comes out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.