Polaris Pro Riders
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #1 
hey everyone,

Ive got an oil leak issue going on that has just started recently! Its pretty hard to tell but i believe i narrowed it down now im not sure if i have the part names correct so dont laugh at me! Im kinda halfway thinking that its where the wires come out of the stator possibly? is there a chance of that or what else do you guys recommend?
IMG_4415.JPG 

05pred500

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 618
Reply with quote  #2 
Looks to me like it is leaking from the cover gasket right underneath that banjo fitting on that oil line.
__________________
2005 predator 558 - falicon supercrank w/ knife rod, ss valves, 12.5:1 wiseco, hpd 558, HMF full system, uni, CFM oil tank, pro design tether, suspension work by Monster Performance, HID light kit, ODI Rouge, Kalis Racing riser, Flexx bars, razr/razr2
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05pred500
Looks to me like it is leaking from the cover gasket right underneath that banjo fitting on that oil line.

Thanks for your input man that may be it. What exactly would that be called?
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #4 
Might be that seal behind the output shaft gear... they are known to leak and fling the oil up there. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #5 
txoutlaw - thanks for your input! only problem is thats like spanish to me on these little motors lol any more detail you can provide?
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle2500
txoutlaw - thanks for your input! only problem is thats like spanish to me on these little motors lol any more detail you can provide?


LOL...No habla de KTM?  lol

The gear that comes out of the side of the transmission that the chain rides on.... behind that is a seal that is notorious for leaking and flinging oil up in that area.  Its a pretty easy fix... Ive had to change mine a couple times.  Joust remove the sprocket, pop out the little seal, put the new one back in and youre done... kinda.  It doesn't hurt to replace that cone shaped washer that rides between the big nut and the gear.  I'm actually running two old cone washers on mine and it hasn't leaked since. 

__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider


LOL...No habla de KTM?  lol

The gear that comes out of the side of the transmission that the chain rides on.... behind that is a seal that is notorious for leaking and flinging oil up in that area.  Its a pretty easy fix... Ive had to change mine a couple times.  Joust remove the sprocket, pop out the little seal, put the new one back in and youre done... kinda.  It doesn't hurt to replace that cone shaped washer that rides between the big nut and the gear.  I'm actually running two old cone washers on mine and it hasn't leaked since. 


Hahaha now that was funny! Yes I know what the sprocket is and all that jazz I don't use fancy terms lol I actually read up on that earlier today so that may be another option. I could swear to me it looks like it's coming from that group of wires below the banjo bolt area, I can tell there is some sort of silicone on there not sure if that is factory or not. I may clean up extremely well run the guts out of it for a min and see if I can spot it now that I'm actually aware it's leaking and know what to look for.
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm pretty sure that its that seal, but I could be wrong. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
I'm pretty sure that its that seal, but I could be wrong. 

The more and more I look at it I'm starting to agree with you, I didn't notice any oil down below but now I'm starting to see some. Is it just an o ring or a gasket or??
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #10 
This should help you.
http://www.enduro360.com/2012/03/07/featured/ktm-countershaft-seal-replacement/



__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
This should help you.
http://www.enduro360.com/2012/03/07/featured/ktm-countershaft-seal-replacement/



Awesome!!! Hopefully that will do the trick!!! Doesn't seem too hard thanks again man! Now my only problem is dealing with an hmf system that doesn't fit!! Keeping me busy lol I'll let you know if that shaft seal solves the issue
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #12 
Its pretty easy to fix.  You can buy one of those fancy cone washers they used or you can buy another stocker.  Its probably not necessary, but its easier to do it while youre there.  Like I said, Im using 2 used washers and its been holding tight for a few years now.  

Whats the problem with your HMF system? 

__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
Its pretty easy to fix.  You can buy one of those fancy cone washers they used or you can buy another stocker.  Its probably not necessary, but its easier to do it while youre there.  Like I said, Im using 2 used washers and its been holding tight for a few years now.  

Whats the problem with your HMF system? 

I tried to attach a picture on my phone but it's not letting me, it's supposed to be a slip on system but it's not exactly slipping on. It's about 5 inches too long!! This is the 3rd time I've had to deal with an exhaust issue first big gun then fmf now hmf
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have an "S" and the exhaust is for an "IRS"...
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have an "S" and the exhaust is for an "IRS"...

Yup just got an email stating they sent it for a 525 irs. The stupidity of people really blows my mind, like when I CLEARLY ordered for a 450 sra
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #16 
I had the HMF "competition"  model and will say that it sounded better than my CT Racing set up. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
I had the HMF "competition"  model and will say that it sounded better than my CT Racing set up. 

Well atleast you got to hear yours! Lol
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #18 
I usually rode with the middle size insert and it struck the best balance of sound and power, but if you're ever in an area that has sound level checks, you'll be better off with the small insert... they are really quiet with those.
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Rkangel

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 448
Reply with quote  #19 
Regarding the cone sprocket washer.  If it doesn't put pressure on the sprocket then it needs to be replaced.  The washer helps keep the sprocket tight and pressed against the seal. 
__________________
2009 Polaris Outlaw IRS
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #20 
Well I shouldn't have said anything... after this weekend of riding my output shaft started leaking oil so I guess I'll be replacing mine soon. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
Well I shouldn't have said anything... after this weekend of riding my output shaft started leaking oil so I guess I'll be replacing mine soon. 

I still need to replace mine! Gotta decide on tire size first so I can go ahead and get new sprocket and replace the seals.
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle2500
I still need to replace mine! Gotta decide on tire size first so I can go ahead and get new sprocket and replace the seals.


lol-  instead of ordering all the stuff from KTM or Polaris, I decided I'd pay $20.00 and get a kit from "Hot Rods" on Ebay and give it a try. 

__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
pinnacle2500

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider


lol-  instead of ordering all the stuff from KTM or Polaris, I decided I'd pay $20.00 and get a kit from "Hot Rods" on Ebay and give it a try. 

Let me know how it turns out I may go the same route
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #24 
The kit looks good, I should get it installed this weekend. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
TxOutlawRider

Registered:
Posts: 1,674
Reply with quote  #25 
Kit went in pretty easy.. I will try it in a couple weeks to see if it fixed the leak. 
__________________
2007 Outlaw IRS

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.