Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #1 
my mxr450 had two leaks one was a small oil leak from the rocker valve cover and the other was a small water pump leak, out the weep hole. so last week I popped the rocker off and pulled the water pump seals/gaskets/orings.  then i cleaned the head surfaces and used some fresh yamabond 6b. I also bought all new water pump seals and installed it while I had the rocker off. I used a small bit of yamabond around the O-rings and I glued in the shaft seals.  I took the 450 out this weekend and wouldn't you know it!!!the fucking weep hole had antifreeze weeping out.... Damit !!!! I have another set of seals and another aluminum ring that the seals go on/into.  but what gives here? I even used grease between the shaft seals . I must have screwed up or something. has anyone ever tried to pull this seal without taking the rocker off? how hard is it ? I aready have two long small screws that will thread into the aluminum ring,, im just wondering if the yamabond 6b will make it impossible to pull.
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #2 
I was thinking of pumping some grease though the weep hole just to plug it up and maybe cause a better lubed seal. I didn't use all that much grease between the seal and I had a bitch of a time with the cam side oring. I don't see and antifreeze in the oil so I don't think that inner o-ring is a issue.  crappy design if you ask me.
ScramblerXLE

Reply with quote  #3 
I have done it several times.  I've used the screws before as well as just using snap ring pliers and rocking it back and forth.  I have used Yamabond 4, Hondabond HT, and Permatex Ultrablack and never have any trouble pulling them.  You are using something to keep the snap ring groove from cutting them on installation right?  I have a couple pieces of pre-fitted heat shrink tubing that do the job quite well.
2009 KTM 450XC
2009 KTM 250XC
2005 Predator 558 (project)
2003 Cannondale 440 (project)
2006 KLX 250S
2002 Scrambler X 500
Sold, crashed, or otherwise gone: 2008 YFZ450, 2005 Predator 500 LE, 2007 Outlaw 525, 2003 Cannondale 440
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #4 
shrink tube is what I used and some wd40 over the shaft.    maybe I just had a bad seal, id don't know,, whatever I guess I will just pull it tomorrow,, thanks for the advice with using snap ring pliers.  ever use yamabond 6b ? that shit is strong crap , I used it on a intake one time and I couldn't remove the boot without breaking it. true story !
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.