Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
gsxrrx7

Reply with quote  #1 

Ok I brought a used 05 predator LE and I’m new to the whole atv experience. I have however owned a number of sport bikes a gsxr750 was the last one and have ridden them for about 10 years. The question I have, is it normal for predators to have a tendency to wheelie when climbing hills compared to other atv's (hopefully someone has experience with riding multiple quads)? Also is there way to make them more tight trail/hill friendly (sprockets, tires, maybe run it rich)? It already has wheeled straight up on top of a hill twice on me, one time I saved it the other time it rolled on top of me twice (I should have let it go & yes it hurt,lol). There just 20-25ft long 40-50degree inclined rooted trail hills and i ride up them in 1 gear. I have went up these same hills a few time times on a automatic 300cc Polaris machine without issues sitting down not hanging over the handle bars trying to keep the front end planted like on my predator. After it got me, I started trying to set up the suspension hoping to solve the problem as it seemed really stiff or overly harsh compared to my friends 2013 trx400 and 2015 450r which did help out some as the previous owner had the front compression damping adjusted all the way stiff/in  and the rear all the way lose/out, I have the sag at 25% front 35% rear with me on it and the compression damping set at 15 clicks front 10 rear . After that I let my friend with 15 years of experience try and take it up a hill and it came up a bit on him also. He didn’t flip it like me but advised me to sell it and get a trx400 instead.  To me it seems like my predator gets almost to good of traction it will easily wheelie before it breaks the rear tires loses, the throttle seams extremely touchy, almost like it is ether on or off. It does have 22*12*8 carlisle hd field trax tires in the back and 21*7*10 maxxis razr-r in the front, could the rear tires be the issue? I don’t want to turn trader on my predator but if I can get up these hills without killing myself I might not have a choice.

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
i would drop down to 20 11 or 20 10 maxxis rear tires. 22 inch heavy duty tires will equal traction where a smaller sport tire will give you some wheel spin. i had a 600 big bore predator that i added a +3.5 inch swingarm to it and it was amazing for hill climbs and drag racing i could wheelie when i wanted to but it was controlled.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #3 
Have you measured the height under the frame at the footrests and a at the front of the frame while youre setting on it?  Id try to get it so the front is level or just a 1/4" higher than the rear measurement (with 22" rear and 21" like you have this should be real easy to achieve).  You might consider lowering the entire quad another 1" or so to lower your CG. 

I agree with Leo, I'd get some 20" rear tires...21" at the tallest... for trail riding. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
gsxrrx7

Reply with quote  #4 
No i have not measured the ride height from the frame, i thought the bigger rear tires would throw off the numbers, and end up making the front stiff, so i just extended the suspension and set the springs for 25% sag in the front and 35% in the rear. Is setting the ride height 1/4 higher in the front, the bast way to do it for trail riding and hills? I have stock wheels with mounted 20-11-9 maxxis razr on the way and i'm going to check the carb out, it seems lean to me hopefully that fixes the problem.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #5 
I'd sit on it, have someone take the existing measurements 1st as a point of reference.... you may already be where you need to be.
  Then Id start with the front of the frame up 1/4" and try it.  The higher the front  the more traction should be on the rear tires and the more likely it is to wheelie (and it'll take traction off the front end when cornering).
  If it still wheelies, then lower the front so it's level or maybe 1/8" higher.  Level is about as low as you'd want to go.  If it still wheelies too easy then you may want to tighten up the rebound setting on the front (if you have that option) or tighten up the compression setting on the rear shock.  Its possible your shocks are just wore out and letting the front rise too easy....

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.