Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello guys, new to this site as well as the outlaw 525irs.

Had plenty of quads before, mainly yamaha. 2x raptor 660, 1 raptor 700, and a yfz450 08' and a kawa kfx 450r.

Its nice to try something new, had a 1 hour trip on the 525 today, my first ride ever.
Seems like its very forgiving with the huge bottom end and mid torque! Except when the Irs makes it launch ahead istead of going into a powerslide when giving it some throttle!!! Tons of grip!

Previous owners had it serviced, changed piston and bearings due to a leak somewhere I believe it was, starts easy and runs nice as far as I can tell. No hesitation at all at low rpms going WOT!
The guy I bought it from yesterday had a Oberon racing clutch installed, which seems really nice!
Other than this it is stock, but plentifull of grunt in my opinion! Even compared to some of my more modded quads!

Ooooh, and it seems to have the thermostat mod! Quite common mod as far as I've understood it.

How are these engines? Reliable? Seems to need quite bit of maintenance! Nothing I cant handle though.
Gonna check the valves next oil change, just to be sure.
Any other things I should check?

Great forum! Cheers from Norway!
Mick

Reply with quote  #2 
I've got an 08 & an 07, personally, if you do the routine maintenance stuff these quads are awesome. Honestly the only thing that pissed me off in the early days was having to "burp" the rear boots, I got around that issue by installing a piece (around 25 to 30 mm) CRC applicator tube to one side, under the boot and clamped by the small clip, still check your boots periodically to make sure the tube isn't blocked with grease as this won't allow them to "breathe". I was actually told about this mod by some guys over here in Australia that race Razors, I asked how the joints have held up and after many races through our bullshit dust they haven't had a problem through contamination. The other drama with them is the rear carrier bearings. Strip it down and put a decent set of FAG or Timkens in there, something with a triple seal to keep out the dust and water. While you've got it in pieces you can put a grease point into the housing, remove the inner seals on the bearings and keep the housing full of grease. I'm still undecided about this mod, I've done it my 07,due to a bearing failure, but haven't done my 08 yet because the bearings seem to be holding up ok. Another thing is the crank nut on the clutch side of the motor. Do yourself a favour, remove the right hand housing, undo the nut,(carefully it's a left handed thread) clean the nut and shaft with a decent solvent, put RED loctite on the thread and retighten to specs. Again only had to do my 07, cause it came lose, did my 08 to prevent it happening.
All in all, you've got yourself a hell of a quad, they handle really well and as you stated in your post are quite exciting in the "go" department.
Have fun dude, you'll soon realise that you will never go back to a straight axle quad again!
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks a lot for all the advice! I really like doing things to prevent failure and wear.

Hopefully it will have lots of problemfree hours in my care!

How many hours do people have on these 525 irs's????
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
Congrats on the new ride. Like Mick said keep up on the oil changes and keep the rear end lubed and you should be good to go.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #5 
Sure! Will do that [smile]
Mick

Reply with quote  #6 
My 08 has only got about 70 hrs on it, but the 07 is well over 100. I bought it second hand and the guy gave it a pretty hard time, not much into his maintenance or replacing things that he'd trashed, but it still goes hard. I know of guys with the same bikes that are over 200 hrs on the clock, they could probably do with a top end but only for power reasons, they're still really reliable and don't sound like they're gonna explode any time soon.
Like I said keep up with the maintenance and you'll rarely have a problem.
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #7 
Thats awesome to hear! I believe this one have few hours, got new piston etc 10-15hours ago! Hopefully no problems for 200 hours
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, Mich pretty much said it all. I recommend removing a link from the rear way bar for increased suspension flex, especially on rough terrain. As for the increased traction in the rear, tire pressure and tread design will drastically effect the rear end traction on these rigs. Oil cooler upgrades are fun on these. If you don't check chain tension throughout the entire axle rotation, you will be replacing your rear end bearings. Have a nice day.
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #9 
How should chain tension be?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
It should be basically tight I think no more or less than a 1/4 play in the chain. It is not like a swing arm where the axel gets closer and farther away in the suspension travel. The IRS chain distance is constant as both sprockets are on a fixed point. just like orion said make sure that it is the same all the way through as there can be some variation in the front and rear sprockets. so check for the 1/4 inch play all the way through the chain. Set your quarter inch lift the rear wheels off the ground and turn the wheels until the chain is completely rotated while checking for tight spots or loose spots.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #11 
Yes then I tightened the chain correct today! Good good! [smile]
I may have to tighten it a little more though, 1/4 of an inch is around 6mm I believe, and thats nothing!
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #12 
The biggest problems I have ever had with chains on an Outlaw, was getting rocks sucked into the front sprocket. Usually while doing doughnuts in a gravel pit. It became a 4 stroke Polaris rock crusher. Broken chain, missing front teeth on the sprocket, but the rock got the worst of it - Pulverized. When the chain broke, it slashed the CV boot and bent the rear sprocket too. Glad I always keep extra chain links and tools on the rig. I rode it out of the hills under its own power. 
Pitsterpits

Reply with quote  #13 
Oh shit hahaha! Better not do dougnuts then [tongue]
Smooth J

Reply with quote  #14 
Hello my Outlaw friends.. Proud to show off this photo of me and my 07 525 irs on the podium after taking 1st place in the 3rd round of Florida's I4MX series.. How is it that I only took 2nd place on my 10 yfz 450 and 1st on my Outlaw?? It's all about rider preference I guess... I can corner the Outlaw faster and that's how I make up time with every corner, that IRS is a good friend if you can learn to work with it.. OUTLAW FOR LIFE.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20161002_153508.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 160.75 KB 

Smooth J

Reply with quote  #15 
A few photos with some FAST ASS RIDERS "Josh Upperman" and "Jeff Rastrelli" at Florida Tracks and Trails...

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20160214_160316.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 401.95 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20160214_160442.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 378.19 KB 

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth J
Hello my Outlaw friends.. Proud to show off this photo of me and my 07 525 irs on the podium after taking 1st place in the 3rd round of Florida's I4MX series.. How is it that I only took 2nd place on my 10 yfz 450 and 1st on my Outlaw?? It's all about rider preference I guess... I can corner the Outlaw faster and that's how I make up time with every corner, that IRS is a good friend if you can learn to work with it.. OUTLAW FOR LIFE.

Congrats!  They are definitely nice quads that were very underrated by the atv media and "traditionalists" who didn't know what to make of the IRS.  Mine does everything I could ask of it, without beating me up, and handles as good or better than my other quads.  It's too bad Polaris lost confidence (or never had confidence) and discontinued them.  Every time I take mine out for a ride I have people stopping me to ask about it.  Some didn't even know that Polaris made a sport quad, or an IRS sport quad for that matter, which reiterates that Polaris didn't do a very good job of marketing the Outlaw.  Alas, Polaris has RZR vision now and not much else matters to them when it comes to the sport segment.  Imagnine what could have been if Polaris had put a fraction of this devotion to the Outlaw.

Reply with quote  #17 
That's pretty cool.. Great job!!
  Ive had mine on an MX track a few times (messing around) and raced it once on a scramblecross track.  After the race I learned allot about the differences between rough trail riding fast and getting around smooth hardpack corners and how to adjust the suspension to make it easier.  
  How wide is your Outlaw?  It looks like a pretty big offset rim on the rear and spacers on the front? 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Smooth J

Reply with quote  #18 
Took my 07 Outlaw 525 irs to first place overall in rd 3 I4MX south series!!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20161002_153508.jpg, Views: 7, Size: 160.75 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.