Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
LJM

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all! I just got an 08 Outlaw 525irs. I think it has some jetting issues. When it warms up it chokes and sputters at WOT. It has a Pure Polaris by FMF slip on and a K&N air filter with lid on. I am at 6500ft elevation. I am used to two stroke bikes, this carb has a few more nitches than what I am used to so any help on a starting point would be great.
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
Does it run normally when cold?
LJM

Reply with quote  #3 
I have only owned it for a few days and took it out riding once so far. Given it was 100 degrees out on Sunday. Yes for the first few minutes of riding it ran great and would pull the front end up no problem. Then it started puking on itself almost like it was starving for gas or maybe overheating. I didnt have the temp light on and after reading through here I have ordered supplies to get rid of thermostat and cap off bottom hose. I am taking it camping for a week at 11,000 ft and am really hoping it stays running.
LJM

Reply with quote  #4 
Or if anyone from the colorado springs/ denver area can recommend a good shop to take it to , I will just pay someone (which I hate doing) to fine tune it. I am used to a high reving two stroke bike so maybe I am running it to hard and it is getting to hot?
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm in pueblo I could get you jetted....

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
Kmack

Reply with quote  #6 
You should probly get a few jets to take with you, at least a couple on each side of what you are running now, that is if you are not sure if it is lean or rich. Unlikely that you will be lean at 11,000 ft.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
ORION

Reply with quote  #7 
If you have time, grab a JD Jet kit. May or may not be absolutely perfect, but it will certainly solve any carb related jetting problems. Easy to follow detailed instructions for the high altitude setup. They run about $75 and if you dont like it, you can return the kit after the trip for a full refund. Slap those parts in there, and it will start easily, run great and have plenty of power. There are other carb options, but this one would be simple and effective. Its what I have on my quad now. 

Here is the link to the exact kit you need: http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/home.php?cat=13

Or if you can get the quad over to redpred, that would be a better option. That way if its not the carb, he can troubleshoot it. 

redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
what elevation are you at? ill look and see what jets i have 

04 r6

n more
ORION

Reply with quote  #9 
He is at 6500ft elevation. 
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
awesome deal i should have some dyna jets for that elevation

04 r6

n more
LJM

Reply with quote  #11 
Im gonna have to suck it up this trip as I leave in the morning, I will just take the bike too in case. Redpred I will contact you when I get back, I would gladly pay someone who is familiar with how to set these quads up the right way. Do you have any overheating issues in Pueblo? I was riding in Penrose and I know Pueblo is just as hot. 
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #12 
It gets warm but it don't overheat....

04 r6

n more
LJM

Reply with quote  #13 
Did they reopen PMI yet?
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #14 
No there's word of mouth that there gonna open a section if someone will maintain the area (cleaning, watching people, etc...)

04 r6

n more
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.