Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
qthor242

Reply with quote  #1 
Gents, 

I recently have had trouble starting my 08 outlaw. I am the original owner and I've done all the maintenance and valve adjustments myself. I recently replaced the battery with a and I couldn't get it to barely crank over. So I thought it might be the starter....so I pulled the plug and it cranked all day long...so that was eliminated. Upon further research I read about the auto decompression lever going bad. Well, needless to say I made my own crank locking bolt and locked the motor at TDC. I checked valve clearances and they were about .001" off. No big deal. So I've proceeded to take the cam cover off the top of the motor. In order to change the auto decompression lever and spring the cam has to be removed, so I have to cut the timing chain. I'm very hesitant to do this because I can see NO VISIBLE damage or anything to the lever itself. I know this set up works off of centrifugal force. I can't tell if the spring has the right amount of tension. I've got around 170 hours of runtime on the motor. Any thoughts??? I'm just not ready to commit to cutting the chain till I know for sure if the spring is the culprit. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 

Its just my opinion, but I'd replace the starter first.  Just because the starter turned it over under a "no load" condition, doesnt mean its good.  And besides, if it's NOT the starter, at least you'll have a new starter and your old one as a back up.  Ive already had to replace the starter on mine once. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
atv4play

Reply with quote  #3 
I had the same issue with my 08. Replaced the starter, relay solenoid, and battery. Checked all connections and still nothing. Took the machine to the dealership because I gave up. They fried the starter so I got them a new one, I installed it and it fired right up. It was quite the gremlin and I still don't know what the root cause was. All I know is the problem is resolved but not sure how. I started to read up about the auto decompression as well but luckily didn't have to tear into that. I would start with the small things before tearing into it that far.
Flexx Bars, Rath Anti Vibe Stem, ODI grips, Honda Throttle with Kiwi Spring Mod, KTM Intake Tube with K&N Filter in Modded Sub-Frame, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip on, Ceramic coated header, Quadtech Hood, Lowered subframe supports, Rath MX A Arms, Rath MX Hubs, Fox Float Evol Front Shocks/Revalved and Resprung Podium X Rear, Pure Polaris Bumper, Rath Monster peg 44 Series Nerf bars, PB Bob Oil Cooler Adapter, Gold speed Fronts and Gold Speed MXR2's on Hiper Tech 3's for the track Razr 2's on Hiper Tech 3's Dual Beadlocks and Razr's on Hiper CF1s for the woods.
qthor242

Reply with quote  #4 
Well guys I appreciate the input. I have found the culprit. The lever arm for the auto decompression is broke off. It was laying on top of the timing chain guide. I kept looking at the cam lobe thinking something should be missing and then it hit me...............duh.....the whole damn lever arm is missing. I'll post pics in a bit 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #5 
that'll do it.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
qthor242

Reply with quote  #6 
Here you can see the in the first 2 pics where it broke off. The 3 pic is showing the lever arm laying down along the cam chain guide. The 4th pic is the lever arm itself

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSC_1040.JPG, Views: 1638, Size: 2.38 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC_1041.JPG, Views: 1236, Size: 2.39 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC_1045.JPG, Views: 1197, Size: 2.15 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC_1046.JPG, Views: 1097, Size: 2.36 MB 

qthor242

Reply with quote  #7 
Needless to say I got lucky.....when I drained the oil is I didn't find any significant pieces attached to the drain plug. This lever broke at it's weakest point. Well I go ahead and fix it and hopefully I don't have to do this again. Thanks for all the help

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
That is the 3rd one i seen just like that.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
qthor242

Reply with quote  #9 
With that being said do you know if KTM every had a recall or made the piece out of a stronger metal??? If the arm sees that much pressure or enough pressure to break clean off you would think KTM would have corrected the problem. 
outy027

Reply with quote  #10 
Just like mine! Literally found that problem 3 days Ago!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 484, Size: 2.63 MB 

2015 season. 2010 mx/xc collab build in the works. 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
not that i know of. i never heard of it at all until the last week 3 people showed me the same thing. you are number 3.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #12 

Wow, I never seen one do that... and I hope I never have one do that.  That sux. 

scoochmojo

Reply with quote  #13 
so my 08 polaris outlaw irs had same issue decompression broke sitting on cam sprocket  i replaced it put bike back together but she will not idle can someone help me out here what am i missing   .....

have to say it was one of the easier repairs i have done researched it online people were saying u had to pop the timing chain link  but i found a video that showed removing water pump impeller and pulling the bearings off will allow you to get old part out and new one in i did however zip tie the chain to sprocket so i wouldn't mess up timing 

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochmojo
so my 08 polaris outlaw irs had same issue decompression broke sitting on cam sprocket  i replaced it put bike back together but she will not idle can someone help me out here what am i missing   .....

have to say it was one of the easier repairs i have done researched it online people were saying u had to pop the timing chain link  but i found a video that showed removing water pump impeller and pulling the bearings off will allow you to get old part out and new one in i did however zip tie the chain to sprocket so i wouldn't mess up timing 

You may want to double check your cam timing.  I see you zip tied the sprocket to the chain, but if it loosened up when you set the cam down, the chain could have moved on the crankshaft gear. 

Also, recheck your valve lash. 

Good luck!

scoochmojo

Reply with quote  #15 
how do i find or locate the timing mak on the crank and it ran perfect before  replacing decom so it shouldn't be any issue with valves  needing adjustment should it ...

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #16 
You'll need to set the piston at top dead center, then check the marks on the end of the camshaft to see that they are aligned.
 I only suggest that you check the lash while you've got it apart because you'll have it apart to check the marks anyhow, and KTM made the stock valves out of jello or something similar and they need constant adjusting. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.