Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Sea2sky

Reply with quote  #1 
The other day while doing a routine oil I had my drain plug strip, something that no one wants to deal with... I soon discovered after the drain plug came out that you could see pieces of the aluminum threads still imbedded in the male threads of the plug. I jumped quickly into action and toke it apon my self to fix it. The threads in the motor are now non existent. Here's a step by step how to do it properly!

Step one -

I drained the oil completely (bone dry) out of the motor until there was no oil puddling up and running down the internal threads of the motor.

Step 2 -

clean the surrounding area around the drain plug completely as well as the internal threads with a non corrosive degreaser.

Step 3 -

I went out and bought a 2x2 inch mild steel cold rolled solid flat bar. Cold rolled is much more accurate then hot rolled steel, has no mill scale and sharp precise corners. Using a cold cut saw (cuts to the ten thousandth of an inch) I proceeded to machine the block by cutting all four faces to the desired length, height and width that was required to fit a tap in without any slope in the hole. Repeat again for the appropriate tap drill size as well and drill a hole into the centre of the block. If you haven't caught on to what this is for yet, it is for a drill and tapping guide to ensure you are drilling 100% perpendicular to the motors surface. It is difficult without it and I strongly recommend using one. You can buy them off of eBay for 15-40 dollars. The new threads you are about to cut are only as good as you drill and tap them so be sure you're doing this step properly. Any slight angle of the tap while re-threading will result in your drain plug not applying even pressure on the sealing o-ring which will cause oil leakage in the future. Pictures below.

Step 4 -

After calculating minor and major diameters of different size drain plugs, I discovered the best solution is to go from the stock M14 (14mm major diameter and 11.546mm minor diameter) to a 5/8-18 UNF thread (15.875mm major and minor diameter of 14.1427mm) This will ensure that when you go to drill out of the existings threads with a 9/16 drill bit that it will eliminated the old threads, giving you a fresh start (85% thread cut). An issue that makes a 5/8-18 the best option available is that you only have so much space on the motor for the drain plug and o-ring to seat properly against. Going any larger then 5/8-18 will not seal properly and will require grinding away a ledge of the aluminum block.

Step 5 -

I then searched around for my drain plug options. I was able to find an adapter that Fumoto drain valves makes which is a 5/8-18 male thread to a female m14-1.25. This allows you to use you're stock drain plug. It cost 5 dollars and is a total of 17mm long.

Step 6 -

It's time to drill and tap. Place the proper sized tap drill bit (9/16) into the guide and hold flat against the surface applying upward pressure so that the drill bit guide doesn't move or lean to one side. Some people use grease to catch the shavings by filling the flute of the drill bit. I just used some rapid tap drill bit lubricant. Drill slowly to avoid shavings from entering the motor and ensure you are perfectly perpendicular to the motor. Make sure you only drill the depth needed!!! There are parts inside the motor you could potentially damage. A good way is to measure the depth and transfer that measurement over to your drill bit and wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit at the appropriate depth.

Step 7 -

After drilling out the old threads proceed on to the tapping procedure. Once again hold the tap guide flat to the surface and begin to re-thread using a generous amount of cutting fluid.

Step 8 -

Now that the new threads are cut we are ready to install the new valve. Using blue medium strength lock tight, cover the threads of the drain plug. Ensure both the drain plug and the internal threads of the motor are both oil free to provide the best bond. Snug up the new drain plug. Let the loc tight sit overnight to fully cure before adding oil again.

Step 9 -

It's time to go riding!

Hope this helps. I was successfull and haven't had any leaks.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 16, Size: 967.12 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 16, Size: 1.05 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 979.76 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.