Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
tbracelin

Reply with quote  #1 
I picked up an '07 Honda 450 throttle, I hope it works. Anyone know what is needed for the swap/conversion? Honda throttle says it comes with safety switch!?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 38, Size: 167.43 KB 

'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S, graphicless, '09 450 MXR shocks/springs, Twin Air Powerflow Kit, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip-On Exhaust, JD Jet Kit, Quadtech seat, DDM Tuning HID headlight 880 bulb mod, Rath 44 Monster Peg nerfs, Rath Bumper, Rath Grab Bar, Rath Anti-Vibe Handlebar Kit, Flexx bars w/ABF mounted 10" Rigid light, Honda throttle, Hiper CF1's w/GBC XC Master's, Lonestar Billet Bearing Housing, Lonestar Billet Locknut

525polaris10

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I cut off all the wires. The Polaris cable threads right in. Super simple.
2010 IRS http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/My-IRS-build-6344146?trail=#1
2007 Ktm 250 xcf-w
2012 klx250 supermoto
2008 silverado
I'd like to thank my sponsors-Chase, Paypal, and PPR
tbracelin

Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome thanks!
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S, graphicless, '09 450 MXR shocks/springs, Twin Air Powerflow Kit, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip-On Exhaust, JD Jet Kit, Quadtech seat, DDM Tuning HID headlight 880 bulb mod, Rath 44 Monster Peg nerfs, Rath Bumper, Rath Grab Bar, Rath Anti-Vibe Handlebar Kit, Flexx bars w/ABF mounted 10" Rigid light, Honda throttle, Hiper CF1's w/GBC XC Master's, Lonestar Billet Bearing Housing, Lonestar Billet Locknut
Kmack

Reply with quote  #4 
+1 on what Jon said, easy to install.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #5 
I seem to be the oddball on this one, but other than looking allot nicer and more compact than the stock Polaris throttle, I didn't see any gain in comfort with the Honda throttle.  In fact, I think I liked the stocker a little better... It may be because Ive got a whole stall full of Polarises and ive gotten used to the feel of their throttles over the years.  I like the "flatter/wider" surface on the Polarises a little better. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #6 
I don't have a personal objection to the feel of the Polaris throttle.  But, we have experienced and heard of the all-plastic Polaris thumb throttles breaking on occasion.  Some customers have replaced the throttle for a metal Honda unit out of peace-of-mind, and to make more room on the bars.

Reply with quote  #7 
Not only that but they are HUGE and problems often arise when trying to mount hand guards, kill switches and the like. There just isn't enough room on the bars, especially the Flexx bars.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Kmack, I honestly never tried mounting the stock set up on my flex bars to see if it would fit. 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #9 
I couldn't make it work with ODI grips

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #10 
I've actually been considering a twist throttle.  I've used them before and liked it, but it was a smaller far less responsive quad.  

birdman7389

Reply with quote  #11 
If anyone wants a 2008 TRX450 thumb throttle, I have one off mine (went to twist) I'll let go cheap to a Polaris guy [smile]
14 Toyota 4runner Sr5

Various Predators being parted out
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #12 
try to find a hpd billet throttle if you like a stocker wide thumb feel. its adjustable, and you can use stock throttle cables. just cut the plastic tab off the throttle cable and it pushes right into the hpd throttle. im not sure if hpd still sells it, but I love them and have them on all 6 of my atvs.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #13 
That's good info.  I've got an old Polaris throttle and an extra Honda assembly that Ive thought about taking apart and seeing if there was a way of using the thumb assembly into the Honda housing. 

Dunph

Reply with quote  #14 
i personally like the stocker. i have broken the throttle off before and if you pop the top off, you can still ride it home. i also ordered a flexx with a larger bar. i called flexx directly to talk to them about it. they were very helpful. i have odi with cycra gaurds on mine
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #15 
Maybe Im not the only oddball that likes the feel of the stockers better. 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #16 
Yeah, I don't mind how they work and feel, I just think they are huge and ugly. Crap, you could almost carry a small tool kit in there. LOL!!!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #17 
odi makes different size grips. they have two sizes 130mm and 120mm. ive ran into those issues of fitting throttles with hand guards ,on flexx bars and still be able use the reverse lever. with the 130mm its tight and mods need to be done, but with the 120mm it all fit well.
525polaris10

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
I've actually been considering a twist throttle.  I've used them before and liked it, but it was a smaller far less responsive quad.  

Matt have u checked out the dual gasser? Lionhart has it on his. I believe its a thumb and twist all in one. Unless I read that all wrong

2010 IRS http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/My-IRS-build-6344146?trail=#1
2007 Ktm 250 xcf-w
2012 klx250 supermoto
2008 silverado
I'd like to thank my sponsors-Chase, Paypal, and PPR
Kmack

Reply with quote  #19 
Yes, they do make those.

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #20 
ive checked them, and have used one. it felt ok but got sloppy and the pull on the throttle cable seemed harder then the hpd throttle. the dual gasser is a awesome idea but like is said it got sloppy /wore out. what I mean is when I had it locked out of twist the handle still moved around.
Kmack

Reply with quote  #21 
I think it would cause more problems than it fixes. Especially under racing conditions. I just can't imagine switching back and forth on how you operate the throttle. Wouldn't be for me I know that.

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
atv4play

Reply with quote  #22 
Just gave mine a little face lift this afternoon with some blue love.. I agree with all above- much less bulky and better feel. I am still exploring thumb lever options as I would like some length.
Flexx Bars, Rath Anti Vibe Stem, ODI grips, Honda Throttle with Kiwi Spring Mod, KTM Intake Tube with K&N Filter in Modded Sub-Frame, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip on, Ceramic coated header, Quadtech Hood, Lowered subframe supports, Rath MX A Arms, Rath MX Hubs, Fox Float Evol Front Shocks/Revalved and Resprung Podium X Rear, Pure Polaris Bumper, Rath Monster peg 44 Series Nerf bars, PB Bob Oil Cooler Adapter, Gold speed Fronts and Gold Speed MXR2's on Hiper Tech 3's for the track Razr 2's on Hiper Tech 3's Dual Beadlocks and Razr's on Hiper CF1s for the woods.
Kmack

Reply with quote  #23 
Oh yeah, "Length", that's what we're all looking for. LOL!!!!!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
outlaw525

KHill118
Reply with quote  #24 
I have Honda throttles on all my outlaws. Personally I think it's has a much Easyer pull so my thumbs not tired at the end of the race and with everything being metal there are no worries of smacking it off something in a race. Also more than likely if I have to pit and try to fix it there are plenty of Honda guys there with parts. As for the twist I use to have one and took it of. If your riding open dunes it was the best thing ever. However as soon as you get into tight woods that are whooped out or anything rough it becomes impossible for me to keep steady throttle control an atv just bucks to much. Was a safety thing for me removing it. If I ever make a duner only it will have a twist for sure though
-IXCR #118
08' KTM 450xc
10' Polaris Outlaw 576 XCR 
07' Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS 

Kmack

Reply with quote  #25 
The Honda throttle has an internal return spring in the housing, I found it un-necessary and removed it reducing the the overall spring pressure on the lever. Made the throttle feel better for me.

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #26 
Ok, I thought I'd add some info to this.  After saying how I like the stock Polaris throttle I think I found something I like as much. 
I found a TRX90 Honda throttle on Ebay for not very much.  I tried it on my outlaw this weekend and it's great!  It's even smaller than the Honda 450 throttle and you can move it around on the bar allot more.  I was able to find a position that seems about right.  I think its miles better (for me) than the TRX 450 throttle. 
Just thought I'd share. 

Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #27 
lets us see a picture , please up load one
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #28 
I don't have any pics, but here's a current Ebay one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-TRX90-TRX-90EX-90-Sportrax-Thumb-Throttle-NEW-/191016511324?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7978a75c&vxp=mtr

Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #29 
that is a small throttle. can you get aftermarket covers for it,, just wondering.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #30 
I don't know, but there are lots of kids racing them so I'd imagine someone is making one.  I know the cover from the 450 is nowhere close... its way too big. 

08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I've heard a few people running the trx90 throttle.  That should give you lots of room on the bars.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
jmmays

Reply with quote  #32 
What have you guys done with the wires that plug into the stock polaris thumb throttle? What are the wires for? I know that my yfz has a engine kill switch if the throttle is left pegged open so you have to install a plug that essentially just completes the circuit but eliminates this feature. Does Polaris do something similar? 
Brothers exhaust, nerf bars, sand star front, haulers rear, K&N filter, K&N intake kit, jetted 
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #33 
The Outlaw has that safety feature as well, hence the wires. You can just cut the wires and tape them up.
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #34 
or just unplug it and tuck it away. there is no need for cutting the wires , just unplug it and tuck it away under the plastic/fenders when using another throttle.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.