Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
sexton6211

Reply with quote  #1 
So I bought an 08 525s from a buddy of mine, this thing had been neglected to say the least.  Bone stock, it sat around far more than it was ever ridden.  Tore the carb apart and cleaned everything as best i could, found pilot jet completely plugged, got a new one.  Threw an HMF Performance slip on on it, as well as a twin air filter and rejetted with a dynojet kit.  Currently have 142 main jet, 45 pilot eclip is on 4th setting, Fuel/Air screw 2 truns out.  Runs really well except idle, hanging at high rpms when coming down from high revs whether warm or cold, then slowly comes back down, even if the throttle cable is disconnected.  Any help for what is going on would be greatly appreciated! I live in Iowa at about 1100' altitude, high humidity.  

Reply with quote  #2 
You may want to turn the idle mixture screw out a little more and see if it helps.  Hanging throttle is usually a sign of lean idle.   However, if you pulled the slide out of the carb, its pretty common to put the plate back on upside down and cause that problem.  Lastly be sure the carb clamps are tight and inspect the intake boot for cracks and leaks (also rather common).

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
sexton6211

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, I was able to check all that out, everything good.  I did get it to idle correctly by moving the eclip on the needle to 2nd position.  Now it is backfiring really bad on decel, sounds like a machine gun.  Thought that it might be lean so i bumped up to a 150 main, got worse, went to a 138 currently still backfiring pretty bad, should I keep going down on the main jet size? Or maybe there is something else to blame there?

Reply with quote  #4 
It could be a bad header gasket or leak in the exhaust. What I would try is raising the needle another notch.

sexton6211

Reply with quote  #5 
Yea, I've been reading a lot about the header issues on here, never had a problem with my other outlaw I'll look into that.  So move the clip to the 3rd position or 1st position you think?

Reply with quote  #6 
Moving the clip down one notch raises the needle one notch... making the mixture richer and usually fixing the popping and hanging.

sexton6211

Reply with quote  #7 
Ok thanks, I'll let you know what I figure out there!

Reply with quote  #8 
Ive never used the Dynojet kit on an outlaw, but Ive used them on lots of other machines.  My experience is they are usually a little rich if you follow their recommendations (JD Jetting is usually a little rich too).  They figure its better to be a little rich and not have people calling and saying they blew up their motor because of their kit.  Rich usually run a little cooler, don't have to wait as long with the choke on, and don't usually have that annoying exhaust popping, so its a safer way to go for the jet kit manufacturers.  That's why its a little odd that you're having to richen up your needle settings.  Is your float level a little low maybe?

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #9 
Also check your intake manifold boot.  These have been known to crack which leans the mixture.

Reply with quote  #10 
Float bowl tang is perfectly straight, which I assume is good, checked my other Outlaw, it was straight,too. I sealed up the header pipe, same results. Got a new intake boot on order, so will see if that helps it out any, thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated

Reply with quote  #11 
If you have some ether (starting fluid) or brake cleaner, you can start the quad, and spray it on the intake boot (the tube between the head and the carb) while its idling, and if has a leak or crack, the engine speed will change. 

TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
You may want to turn the idle mixture screw out a little more and see if it helps.  Hanging throttle is usually a sign of lean idle.   However, if you pulled the slide out of the carb, its pretty common to put the plate back on upside down and cause that problem.  Lastly be sure the carb clamps are tight and inspect the intake boot for cracks and leaks (also rather common).

This^^^ 
Also, I was having a hanging problem with my yfz too and the problem involved the carb slide. I was able to fix it simply by replacing the o-ring that's on the carb slide. Check if yours needs replacing or if it's even still there. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/6

It's 10 part # 3131659

sexton6211

Reply with quote  #13 
Got the quad running pretty good today, pulled my needle out of my other quadand put in it, runs great, now I'll have to order a new needle from dynojet. Thanks everybody for helping me out on this bad boy, now let's go riding!!!!
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.