Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
cobra131

Reply with quote  #1 
I want to get a new chain for the predator what is a good chain to get I want to get a good quality chain what are you guys using?

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
I have been using the same type of chain for years. It lasts FOREVER without stretching, its cheap, and its low maintenance. 

Its made by "Primary Drive", and its the standard "O-ring" chain. Never tried the X-ring, because the O-rings last forever. Ya cant improve on perfect. Also, you can buy it in any size. You pick the number of chain links. 

Here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3177/2085/Primary-Drive-520-RDO-O-Ring-Chain
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
i have also had great results with the rmatv primary drive chains.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
cobra131

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a question what's the difference between the orh x ring and rdo o ring which one do you guys use? What do the orh mean and rdo mean?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #5 
the only difference i can see is the o-ring has true o-rings and the x-ring has flat rings. i have used both and i think the o-ring chain lasts a little longer.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
cobra131

Reply with quote  #6 
Wouldn't the x ring chain be better for the mud and coal dirt? I always heard that the mud and coal dirt kills the o ring chain
ORION

Reply with quote  #7 

I believe the O-Ring chains last longer than X-ring. X-ring has less rolling resistance for a reason- less of a seal. Two tiny contact points rather than one repetitively large contact point. If you are sponsored or racing, then use the X-ring. If you just ride like everyone else, use the O-ring. Plus the O-ring is cheaper. Never pressure wash the chain, and ALWAYS keep it oiled up. A lack of oil will result in premature wear, and the O-rings will crack and fall apart from drying out. Here is my care procedure:

After ride, wash the bike. 

Short ride to dry the chain.

Rear end up on jack stands. 

Idling in reverse (lowest gear).

Apply gear oil in one long sting.

Oil O-rings on the left.

Oil O-rings on the right.

Oil Center of chain. 

Don't wear gloves, keep your fingers out of the gears, and put news papers down to catch the drips.

I have had to replace many of these chains, but never due to wear. Its always been from sucking shit into the gears like sticks or rocks which thrashed everything. Busted sprockets, broken chains, broken hubs, ripped off case savers, etc. One time I was on a KTM 450 SXF and the rear chain guide came off, went around the rear sprocket slammed into the front sprocket and locked everything up. Bent the chain, destroyed the rear hub, bent the rear sprocket, and broke the front sprocket. This all happened on the lip of a 50' double. I back sided the landing, due to locking up on the lip. Blew the front tire out, and bent the front rim on impact. 221824_100911030000828_3052096_n.jpg   

ORION

Reply with quote  #8 
146-1209-02-o+o-ring-and-x-ring+.jpg 
ORION

Reply with quote  #9 
m8k20n.jpg 
cobra131

Reply with quote  #10 
I always have my chain lube up but like I said won't the o ring chain hold the mud and dirt while riding and chew up the o rings?
ORION

Reply with quote  #11 
I have run regular chains many times and they all suck. They stretch a little on every ride, and wear out really fast. Regular O-Ring chains may hold dirt, but the Primary Drive chains have "Specially designed side plates with "windows" that efficiently channel mud and debris from the sprocket, reducing wear." pri_07_cha_rdo_o.jpg 
cobra131

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks for the info Orion I will be ordering the o ring chain and thanks again
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I run EK x-ring, with an 8500 tensile strength.
2 things to me are the most important. A good
oil for the motor, and a good chain and sprockets.

When I put on a new chain, I also do the sprockets,
so everything is fresh. As the front sprocket wears
and gets replaced, I flip the rear sprocket. When that
second front sprocket wears, I replace everything.

Keep a good eye on the chain tension and wear on the
sprockets is the key to good chain life, not to mention
proper lube or wax. I use PJ chain wax or Belray, though
PJ is my choice.

Reply with quote  #14 
I've been having excellent results with Primary Drive X-Ring Chain on my 400ex.  Going on 6 years of being dragged through the sand, water, and dirt and have had to do nothing more than clean and lube it.  X-Rings are still in good shape, no cracks.  Haven't had to adjust it since the first break-in.  I'd have no problem recommending Primary Drive.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.