Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
85_305

Reply with quote  #1 
So I went to the local performance shop that sells kawi, polairs, can-ams etc. I took it to the ship because last season it would run real crappy, and I thought it needed a good tune up.

The day I took it in, I noted that it was VERY hard to start... it would kinda romp.. like a dead battery romping.

Long story short, dealer says carb is very dirty, needs tune/rejet, needs new choke cable cuz its stuck full-choke, needs airbox cuz the rubber boot is missing where lower box connects to carb, needs a battery cuz wont hold a charge.... and needs a new exhaust cam because the compression release is screwed up.

Really? Almost $1,000 because the exhaust cam is screwed up and wont release compression while cranking? Does that sound right?
85_305

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh, and its a 2003 predator 500... ran great before I put it away for winter, minus the tune of the carb being noticeably off
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
NO THATS A HORRIBLE PRICE DO IT YOURSELF AND SAVE A TON

BATTERY AND CAM PROLLY MOST EXPENSIVE ON YOUR LIST AND THAT SHOULD BE AROUND 100 MAYBE SLIGHTLY OVER

LOOK AT RMATV FOR THE OEM BOOT THAT YOU NEED PS I MIGHT HAVE ONE

THE REST OF THE STUFF BESIDES THE BATERY YOU CAN EBAY FOR RELATIVELY CHEAP AND WE CAN HELP YOU GET IT JETTED PROPERLY

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #4 
Is this exhaust-cam problem common, where the decompressioner stops working and wont release, making it super hard to start the engine??

Hell, if I'm getting cams then I'm getting the hotcams... not gonna waste my time w/ stock stuff.

How hard and how long of a job is it to swap out cams?
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #5 
OKAY BEFORE YOU JUMP LOL HOTCAMS ARE BAD INA FUJI IF YOU WANT CAMS YOU HAVE TOO GET WEBCAMS AND YES DECOMP LEVER BROKEN CAN SCREW YA

CAMS ARE RELATIVELY EASY TOO DO, AND YOU CAN LEARN TOO ADJUST YOUR VALVES AT THE SAME TIME AND SET YOUR TIMING AND YOU WILL KNOW NEARLY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TOO ABOUT YOUR MACHINE!

PS WEBCAMS ARE NEAR 500$ REPLACEMENT EXHAUST CAM 40-60 PLUS YOU WOULD NEED TOO HAVE A EXHAUST CAM TOO SEND IN TO THEM

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #6 
Ouch $500 + I need to send in my exhaust cam. Great.

So I should prob just stick w/ stock then, huh?

Is there a writeup I can follow to do the cam? Do I ONLY need to order an exhaust cam or should I do both new cams if I"m doing stock?
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
I WOULD TRY AND REPLACE BOTH WITH A MATCHING SET, CHECK THE PREDATOR PART OUTS AND THE OUTLAW 500 PART OUTS............... IF NOT AVAILABLE JUST GET THE CAM YOU NEED OFF EBAY

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #8 
Good thinking, I appreciate the help so far.

So is there a writeup I can follow to swap out cams? I haven't really messed w/ gas powered things or atv's much in the past few years.
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305
Good thinking, I appreciate the help so far.

So is there a writeup I can follow to swap out cams? I haven't really messed w/ gas powered things or atv's much in the past few years.

I WOULD LOOK AT VALVE ADJUSTMENTS, MAYBE ORDER A VIDEO FROM LEO ABOUT THE PRED BUT, MAIN THING WILL BE ONCE U OPEN IT YOU WILL ADJUST YOUR VALVES SINCE YOUR GONNNA BE RIGHT THERE AND ALSO DO YOUR LEARN THE TIMING ADJUSTMENT BUT WE WILL BE RIGHT THERE TOO HELP YOU ALL THE WAY THREW

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #10 
But the thing is I dont even know where to start with replacing the cams.... thats why a writeup or a video or something would be great.
jonnypred04

Addict
Reply with quote  #11 
theres the 500 rebuild vid. see the thread for it. but i just bought a service manual for like $5 on ebay. it comes in digital form and is pretty much a need when it comes to the pred. id suggest buying one it will tell you what to do and tourques and whatnot
2004 Dale jr. Edition Pred Pro Taper bars, full Yoshimura exhaust, leo's carb mod, headlight halos, all balls racing ball joints, modded stock airbox, Uni airbox vents, Uni air filter, and a handfull of throttle
2002 Polaris XC SP 600
HSP silencer, needs to be cleaned!

Also 2004 Sportsman 700 1994 Polaris xcr 440. Thats the collection!

2006 Chevy "slobalt" ls
1969 Dodge Charger r/t 440
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #12 
YOU CAN ALSO DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL HERE FOR FREE

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #13 
Ok I'll look that video up.. .I appreciate the help a ton guys.

Where do I find the manual to download for free?????
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Pick up a service manual...you can do most if not all of this yourself.  Cleaning the carb, replacing the choke cable, carb boot, etc....are very easy fixes. 
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #15 
http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/All-MakeModel-Service-Manuals-6229034

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305
Ok I'll look that video up.. .I appreciate the help a ton guys.

Where do I find the manual to download for free?????

http://www.polarisproriders.com/?forum=283873

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #17 
Nice! AWesome links! Thank you so much guys i appreciate it.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #18 
also here is the timing, valve adjust and cam threads.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/polaris-predator-or-outlaw-fuji-500-timing-pictures-5285719

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/predator-valve-shim-amp-adjustment-5285497

this dvd i sell for $20 shipped covers everything you will need to know.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/?forum=203593

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #19 
oh yeah and redpred is dead on the hotcams for the predator lost top end power. a stock cam will fix you right up.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
sctreeguy

Reply with quote  #20 
I have a factory airbox if it helps out.i know thats a small part of the list but hey every bit helps.

2005 grizzly 660(719 stroker 29.5 outlaws)
2003 pred500,hmf slipon,cfm airbox with uni filters. SOLD
gsvar2004

Reply with quote  #21 
Either order a carb mounted choke from jets r us or I have a stock cable. Please I'm begging you do this stuff yourself. When I got my 03 pred in may of last year and through these guys and the manual and a few trips to harbor freights I know this thing pretty much in and out and I have never really been that mechanically inclined when it comes to motors. If I can figure all this stuff out I know you can. If you have time anyway.
PP exhaust free flowing,05 450R carb mod with clamp on uni filter,Tusk chub fat bars, tusk billet bumper,alba racing gas cap, yfz450 long travel tripple rate elkas up front, revalved fox podium in rear, nerf bars black net, powermadd hand guards, Honda thumb throttle,red oury grips
18-10-10 sedona slingshot rears
20-6-10 Kenda claw mx up front
85_305

Reply with quote  #22 
Well I appreciate the guidance guys. The ONLY thing I"m having the shop do is tune the carb/rejet it, they already fixed "some wiring" (gee, thanks guys!), and I'm letting them fix the airbox issue so that they can properly tune/jet it. I've been in diesel so long I dont even want to remember how to tune/jet carburetors.

BUT, good call on the hotcams guys... I did some searching and noticed other people saying they lost top-end w/ the hotcams... which is precisely what these Preds are known for; their top-end. So looks like I'll prob stick stock cams back in... but I'll be doing them myself.

Still super pissed that my cams can magically go bad over the winter though.
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #23 
How are they going to Jet it when it is not running correctly?  Jetting IMO should be the last thing done after everything is fixed.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #24 
yes jetting will be super simple leave that too yourself too has nothing too do with being in a diesel we have photos that will show what each jet is for ya and you can do it quickly if you dont struggle it

04 r6

n more
85_305

Reply with quote  #25 
Just an update.

I got the quad back from the dealer... the exhaust cam issue magically disappeared, and there are ZERO issues starting the wheeler. Dealer did say he replaced some wiring, so perhaps a bad ground or positive or something.
Migwansdarcy

Reply with quote  #26 
After sitting all winter, my outlaw 500 was impossible to start. Replaced and did the usual. Now l see the worn out decompression on the exhaust can, dangling with no spring etc. Replaced and started right up!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.