Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
vandyket/a

Reply with quote  #1 
I've got a 07 525 that has been sitting for 3 years. Well I got it and rode it and it ran good but I decided I would clean the carb just for preventative maintenance. Well when I got it apart the two small jets were clogged tight how it ran I don't even know. Well after cleaning it its started a 1/4 missfire but beyond 1/4 it runs perfect. Its mainly just when giving it a steady throttle. I've taken it on and off probably 6 times cleaning it and it would seem to run better for a few minutes right after. The last time I put on a inline fuel filter to catch any debri. I've cleaned the tank, put seafoam in it, changed the plug and nothing seems to help. I've had plenty of carbs apart and even done the same thing to my 450 and never had a problem. I just don't see what it could be. I don't have a wideband so no clue on the air fuel but I'm running a red JD needle, 170 main, O ring mod and the rest is stock. Air box lid is off and hmf exhaust but other than changing the needle while I had it apart nothing else is changed. Anybody got any ideas? I've tinkered with it for 2 days now. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Up to 1/4 throttle is controlled almost completely by the pilot jet ,idle mixture screw, and pilot air jet.  Did you remove the idle air screw and spray out the passages?  If so did you make sure the little o-ring, washer, and spring were installed correctly?  Did you turn the screw back out the same number of turns as it was when you started?  Did you spray out any debris from the air jets at the airbox side of the intake?  You already said you cleaned out the pilot jet so its prob ok.  If all that looks ok, start it up and try spraying cleaner around the intake tube and check for leaks (its possible the carb isn't on straight or the tube is cracked). 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
vandyket/a

Reply with quote  #3 
I cleaned the jet in the mouth of the carb (where the air filter boot goes up). Even tried removing the entire intake system and running open carb and it still cuts out. I did not remove the air screw at all. I bottomed it out and turned it back out 1.5 turns. I was going to try playing with it today. Thats the only thing I haven't messed with. I have the tab on the side of the carb centered in the opening on the side of the boot (alignment tabs). I'll check for any cracks in the boot today I never thought about that. Is it very common for the engine side boot to crack? I noticed my air box side boot is cracking.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
Be careful not to get any of the spray cleaner on the slide... it can mess them up.
Those jets in the mouth of the carb are air jets, one is for the pilot "low speed" circuit, the other is the Main "High speed" circuit.  I don't recall how many turns out the screw should be, its been so long since mine was stock, but I was thinking it was 2 turns.  You should really take the screw out (don't loose the washer/spring/o-ring), remove the bowl, and spray out the jets inside.  You should really remove the pilot (one of the 2 recessed jets in the carb body) and make sure its clean and all the holes are open.  Then spray cleaner through the passage.  You may have knocked some debris into the circuit when you sprayed into the air jet. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
vandyket/a

Reply with quote  #5 
I took all the jets out individually and and soaked them in blue wolf (a degreaser) and ran torch tip cleaners through all of them. Then sprayed the degreaser into the carb itself and then flushed all the ports with hot water. I've probably done this 6-7 times.The last time I cleaned it the pilot and the other small one was clean. And if I go wot for a long time (like on hardtop) and let off while I'm at high rpm and then lay back into I get a bog for a second to. 
vandyket/a

Reply with quote  #6 
Problem solved. I took it off and cleaned it again. Put it back on it ran good for about 1 minute. I pulled the bowl screw out and removed the pilot and it was clogged. Cleaned it and put it back same thing. I done this about 3-4 times in a row and put some transmission fluid in the fuel. Road it a little and it cleared completely up. Runs perfect. I must have still had some debri in the carb because I don't see how it could get by the filter I put in line but thanks for the help. 
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #7 
I am amazed by the amount of dirt that can hide in the crevices and passages of a carb.  Combined with ethanol gas it can be a exercise in frustration.  I've had good experiences cleaning similar items using ultrasonic cleaners.  Gets into places I'd never be able to access normally.

Reply with quote  #8 
Agree! I wish I had one. Just cleaned mine and forget how contaminants hide.
Flexx Bars, Rath Anti Vibe Stem, ODI grips, Honda Throttle with Kiwi Spring Mod, KTM Intake Tube with K&N Filter in Modded Sub-Frame, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip on, Ceramic coated header, Quadtech Hood, Lowered subframe supports, Rath MX A Arms, Rath MX Hubs, Fox Float Evol Front Shocks/Revalved and Resprung Podium X Rear, Pure Polaris Bumper, Rath Monster peg 44 Series Nerf bars, PB Bob Oil Cooler Adapter, Gold speed Fronts and Gold Speed MXR2's on Hiper Tech 3's for the track Razr 2's on Hiper Tech 3's Dual Beadlocks and Razr's on Hiper CF1s for the woods.
Bonesoutlaw

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes it amazed me how much crap came out of mine when I put it in the ultrasonic. I too was surprised it could even run. Glad you got yours figured.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.