Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
1badpredator

Reply with quote  #1 
I have had my predator 06 500 for 3 years now. Mostly trail ride which equals a lot of mud where I live in Va, with the occasional trip to Busco BeAch in Nc. My question to the experts is this. Seems as if I'm always breaking something on the front end ball joints tie rod ends bearings and seals. I was read a article that pretty much said the pro steering was garbage and once one piece went the whole front end would go bad piece by piece. We'll after this set of bearings gets delivered I will have replaced everything . Is this just normal considering I ride hard on trIls and mud, or do I need to look into deleting the pro steering all together. I love my quad but it's nickel and dimeing me to death any help would be great as I don't really have anyone to talk to. I even tried going down to my local Polaris shop but the guys are not friendly or helpful at all. Thanks in advanced and hears my number if anyone wants to call. Call anytime help help help. 757-749-2639. Andy

Reply with quote  #2 
Yeah, very typical to get no help from a Polaris dealer, as sad as that sounds. There are several guys on here that will give you some good advice on your machine, Bricktucky, Leo and Nick are a few with good knowledge and experience on the Pred.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
1badpredator

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #4 

Im no expert, but I have been riding and working on Polaris quads for a long time. Here is what I found about the front ends: 

Greasing all of the parts before you put them on, will extend the life of the. Grease the wheels bearings, ball joints, tire rods etc. Put grease under the rubber seals, not the outside metal parts. The factory doesn't put much grease in there. VERY IMPORTANT: Not all grease is compatible, and mixing the wrong kinds will turn the grease to ..... not grease. So here is what ya need to buy: Supertech marine grease from Walmart, which is compatible with Polaris grease (I investigated it thoroughly). 

That being said, consider this: 

Polaris ATV front ends get sloppy. Everything wears out at a steady even pace and the next thing you know, the front tires will have a ton of play in them from side to side. As far as performance is concerned, I have noticed almost NO negative performance impact from this. It still steers and corners just fine. The only drawback to the play in the front wheels, is that it wears the tires down faster, because the alignment is a little screwy. 

I have an 06 Outlaw with around 500 hours on it, and I have an 08 Outlaw with 23 hours on it. One is REALLY sloppy in the front end, and the other is super tight and has no slop. Both front ends feel the same when Im riding them around. 

Unless the parts are ridiculously worn out, there is very little danger of catastrophic failure of the front end parts. They are designed to not fly apart.

I suggest that you talk to the other guys on this site about it as well, as they have proven themselves to be very knowledgeable. The more info you can get the better, right? 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 152786_2476181b-cbdc-4204-9b91-d075d27b7c31_prod_560x315.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 43.86 KB 

LE Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
The more wear parts you have, the more parts you will have to replace.  It's simple as that.  I'm very picky about play in my front ends.  Any play in the steering and I put new parts on.  Like ORION said, greasing them with a grease needle helps a bunch.

If you wanted to go with an 07 steering setup, you certainly can.  It will have less wear parts, but more bump steer.  From memory, I actually preferred the steering of the PRO front ends to the 07 setup.  The only issue with my comparison is there was about 4 years between riding each machine.  I still think the 07 front end turns too quick for its own good.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #6 
yeah i am with these guys i likes the pro steering just fine. greasing the parts fresh from the factory will help them last 5 times as long there is little to no grease in any of them.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey guys, havent been on for awhile, quads have been running great, so Ive been busy riding!! Since most of our veterans here ride Outlaws now,it seems I have some very good advice that will solve all of the issues you are experiencing, its just too bad you already replaced everything!! First off, dont replace anything with a stock or stock replacement part, none are much better than stock Polaris parts. To get rid of wheel "slop", do a roller bearing upgrade. These will last twice as long as the sealed ones. Next, buy a set of "Full Flight" "A" arms, for several important reasons. First they have a lifetime warranty, second, they have huge, H.D. ball joints that will last. Third, they are FULLY adjustable, all 3 points of attachment per arm! No more weird camber/caster, which is what is tearing up your bearings,tires,joints etc.. Fourth, they are only about $350-$400, replacement ball joints are $35. Since you have just replaced everything, add those parts up, and $400 is not bad!! The only bad part is their steering arms,just throw them away. I built my own that will never wear out, and weigh half of the stock ones, for about $80, they look killer too!! Rated @10,000 lbs.+ They were meant for a micro-sprint car, but work great for quads too, look for Speedway Motors. I cant say how long this set-up will last, this is the second season on the set-up,and everything is still tight. My other Preddy is due for a rebuild, it is getting loose all over!! It will get this same treatment this winter. The one thing I have not had any issues with, is the Pro-Steer, on either quad. I think I have a pic of my BB558 before arms and after.Wont let me load it, but I think there in an old post that asked about similiar stuff.Good luck and happy Ripping!!     
                                               ATV'S
                         Accelerated-Traction-Velocity-Sleds!!

03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #8 
If you look at my posts from last year, one on 5/25 and on 4/20. If you look carefully at the 4/20 photo, these are stock "A" arms with new "custom" steering arms, the 5/25 photo has new "A"arms with the "Full Flight" steering arms that I later tossed. The new steering arms I made, utilize 5/8" billet Heim joints vs. 3/8"steel ball joints, and polished alum."swedged" 1" dia.tubes vs. 1/2" steel tubes. I believe  they were 11" long.
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.