Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
cobra131

Reply with quote  #1 
So I picked up what I thought was a 04 predator it turns out to be an 07 it needs some work. Is the valve clearance the same for these motors as the 03? Will try to up load pics as the revive begins
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Yes valve clearance should be the same.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks next question there is a Honda thumb throttle on it is this a chop job or is it a mod also how does the reverse switch work on the handle bars
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thump throttle, what carb is on it?  To use reverse be in first gear, pull clutch in, turn lever if knob, if lever push to the side, shift down again. To get out of reverse, pull clutch in and shift up.

Reply with quote  #5 
I think it is an oem carb. Ok now I have a real good one to figure out so we took the head off it needs a little attention any way we took the rad out when we found oil in the bottom rad hose. Looked over gaskets base and head they look to be ok took water pump cover off more oil we are trying to figure out how the oil got in there? We are kind of thinking it is the mechanical water seal? Can not find any talk on the internet about this plus the tool is 200.00 to use once any help would be great thanks
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Yep the mechanical seal. You don't the tool. I use a slide hamer with a vise grip . And it pulls out. I took a old vise grip welded a bolt to it to hook to the slide hammer..to hits and it's out. Then find a pipe that is very close to the size of the seal and drive the new one in. Or separate the case and drive it out.....

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks ok I’m looking at it now i took off the impeller next was a flat washer then a small rubber o ring. Ok what is left is what I would say a light metal cap it seems like there is a spring cause I can push it in then the spring push’s it back out is this part of the seal. So if I’m reading your post right you put the vise grips on this metal cap clamped it Down screwed the slide hammer to it and bam that whole piece came out?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes and it will come out in pieces

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you very much for the info never got this deep in the motor I guess I’m lucky with my 03 never had really any thing like this happen to me thanks again
cobra131

Reply with quote  #10 
What does anyone think about reusing head bolts?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
If you have a choice always replace. But in reality the should be good for at least one top end rebuild.

Reply with quote  #12 
What does the impeller shaft run off of does it turn all the time or some of the time
cobra131

Reply with quote  #13 
Why does the oil gear have a dot on it does it match with another gear dot
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.