Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
birdman7389

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey fellas, whats a good chain to run? my sprockets are kind of getting worn, and I'm not going to chance breaking an engine case, so new chain and sprockets will be done. I know its a 520, any brands or styles you all like? O-ring, x-ring, no-ring?
525 IRS BTW

Thanks!

14 Toyota 4runner Sr5

Various Predators being parted out
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
"Primary drive" brand chain from Rockymountain. Get the O-ring type. Its about $40 or $50. Cheap and lasts forever. Been running them for years, never seen anything better. Plus they are doing free shipping on $49+ until the 17th. 
  • The RDO O-Ring chain provides outstanding durability and long wear characteristics
  • Features solid bushings with high quality pin material, o-rings and lubricant. Specially designed side plate with "windows" that efficiently channel mud and debris from the sprocket, reducing wear.
  • The unique design and profile of the chain ensures durability, and decreases wear on chain guides and swing arm rub plates.
  • Average tensile strength 7,850 lbs.
  • Master Link included
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/958/2085/Primary-Drive-520-RDO-O-Ring-Chain?term=primary%20drive

Rkangel

Reply with quote  #3 
I'll second Primary Drive.  I've run their X-ring chains on other quads for years and have been very happy.  They've held up well, with very little adjustment needed or wear.  When it's time to replace the chain on my Outlaw, it will be a Primary Drive as well. 

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
I am the third for the rmatv primary drive chains and sprockets. Affordable last for ever and never failed me.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #5 
I don't know about guys, But, I use  EK mvxz chains. they hardly ever wear out and will out last any sprocket set up, they also come in any color, besides that compared to any 520 o-ring chain they have-by-far- the largest links.  they also have a very high strength rating. lasly they are Team Bricktucky tested and approved . I have not had one failure on any of my 6 atvs, all use the mvxz. the chain on my 525 outlaw has been to glamis two years in a row and was a year old before I went. that's four years old. I even switched sprockets twice. so believe whatever myth you want but the ek mvxz is by far the best.
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #6 
they cost a tad more but well worth the money for piece of mind and choice of color. I swear to you guys they last a long time, even if your cheap on the lube, and even if you change sprockets.. on all my atv's the least of my worries are my mvxz chain. I know they will outlast many other parts. I swear to you guys,,, on my knees hailing with my hands down.  those who know me, know im tough on atv's.
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #7 
EK chain is what I use. Like Team said....A few more bucks
but your getting about the best there is.

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #8 
Are all of the EK chains rivet style master links? If so I would not use that chain. Every once in a while you have to remove the master link when on the trails, and a rivet type would make that very difficult. If you throw the chain for some reason (rock gets jammed in the chain/sprocket area), then you are much better off with a clip style master link so you can unravel the chain knot that's around your front sprocket. 
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
You can do both. I have a bag of clips, and generally
throw away a used clip if I have to break the chain.
MV masters and clips are about 6 bucks each.

Reply with quote  #10 
Anything that Brick can't break is a superior product.
Flexx Bars, Rath Anti Vibe Stem, ODI grips, Honda Throttle with Kiwi Spring Mod, KTM Intake Tube with K&N Filter in Modded Sub-Frame, FMF Factory 4.1 Slip on, Ceramic coated header, Quadtech Hood, Lowered subframe supports, Rath MX A Arms, Rath MX Hubs, Fox Float Evol Front Shocks/Revalved and Resprung Podium X Rear, Pure Polaris Bumper, Rath Monster peg 44 Series Nerf bars, PB Bob Oil Cooler Adapter, Gold speed Fronts and Gold Speed MXR2's on Hiper Tech 3's for the track Razr 2's on Hiper Tech 3's Dual Beadlocks and Razr's on Hiper CF1s for the woods.
Outlaw72

Reply with quote  #11 
I just bought a similar kit for a 500 irs on Ebay for $95 from performancepowersports.  I haven't had it long enough to say the chain doesn't stretch but seems to be a quality kit.  It is an ek 520 oring, but not their best.  Includes the master link too.  I have heard good things about the rm x ring chain.  They cost about 65 with the master link shipped I think. Plus 60 for the rear sprocket and I don't know how much rm wants for the front.  Even if the chain is junk, don't think it is, you are going to pay about $140 for the rm setup.  This kit is $95 for everything, if the chain don't last, then buy the rm x ring.   Or you could email the ebay seller and tell him you want the mvxz chain brick spoke of.
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #12 
Just make sure you get the right kit.  The front sprocket is different between the Outlaw 500 and Outlaw 525.

Reply with quote  #13 
Rk says the gear ratios are different so I edited the post.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.