Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
tango

Reply with quote  #1 
My dealer says i need new carrier bearings for my 08 outlaw irs but says it cheaper for them to just replace the whole carrier assembly then just the bearings with labor time. Whats the best way to test if i really do need them? I dont have any clicking noise in the rear end
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #2 
If the bearings are shot, you've got a trustworthy dealer that has a head on their shoulders.

Grab the sprocket and brake rotor on the rear of the machine.  Try to twist them as if there was a pivot on the ground directly below the carrier.  If they have excessive movement, they're shot.

Reply with quote  #3 
Yep.  Considering labor it is cheaper to replace the whole carrier assembly, plus you would get new carrier components as well.  On the flip side if you replace the bearings, you may be able to ask your shop to install higher quality bearings than the stock units.  But if you went this far on the stock bearings I'd say you're doing ok and just have them replace the whole assembly.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Agreed, replace the entire assembly. They are half the price they use to be and it is a job you can do yourself.  If your still on your stock chain and sprockets you might as well replace them while you have it apart.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
tango

Reply with quote  #5 
Ok will try that thanks will it do any more damage to anything if i continue to ride it for a while first
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I wouldn't.  If you throw the chain due to the excessive movement you could cause case damage.  Of course that is probably worst case scenario.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
tango

Reply with quote  #7 
I tried to twist it barely any play it moves just a few centimeters maybe
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If your comfortable with it, go for it.  I would watch it closely though.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #9 
A few centimeters?  That's a lot!  It should maybe move 5mm tops.

Reply with quote  #10 
2.54cm=1in. The rear end is complain for a reason. It's good to hear your shop wasn't trying to rack up hours on you. My carrier has clicked for months at a time before I replaced the bearings. I checked constantly for movement. It is still a risk. It also failed the same day it clicked threw the chain and snapped some case off. I was lucky it didn't go through
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
tango

Reply with quote  #11 
Yea i meant a few mm its no where close to a inch
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.