Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone else had any issues with carburetor heat on their outlaw IRS?
  Its been over 90 here the past few days (Ah, Texas), and the CT exhaust pipe weaves through the frame it puts it about 3/4" from the accelerator pump diaphragm housing.  Ive got the pipe wrapped already, but between that heat, and the heat coming up from the starter/oil filter housing the carb gets so hot you can't touch it after about 10 minutes, and about that time my idle mixture starts changing and the accelerator pump only works sporadically. 
   I know its a heat problem, as this weekend when it started acting up I took the filter off and saw the pump squirt was only working every once in awhile and the durations were varying allot... so I got a spray bottle of water from the house, and sprayed on the carb bowl and a/p housing area, and within a few seconds the pump shot was long and consistent and my idle mixture went back to normal.  I repeated the experiment a few times to be sure it wasn't a fluke.
  Im going to try one of those carbon covers over my carb and maybe add some wrap to the exhaust in that area, but was curious to see if anyone else has had this problem. 

Also note, I may still have some "winter blend" gas in my tank.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
ko66

Reply with quote  #2 
If you are truly worried try some reflective fire wall tape. The same surf used on the stock air box .

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #3 
Thats weird. Are you running too lean, and overheating the exhaust? I have never heard of that problem, and It sounds like something unusual is wrong. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
According to the wideband I'm fine, but the CT exhaust has a very large midpipe and when I lined everything up and had it welded together I tried to keep the pipe inside the frame as much as I could to keep the heat off my leg.  So now the pipe is really close to the a/p pump and it get freakin hot.  I'm thinking the fuel injection should solve this problem. 

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #5 
Ah. Well if your exhaust location is not in the OEM position, than that could certainly cause the problem. I would say that you need to either dent the exhaust, to make more room between the pipe and carb, or you need to build a heat shield. The shield will not stop all of the heat, but it will block the radiant heat. A thin piece of aluminum should do the trick. Just wrap it around the pipe in that area and hose clamp it. Even a beer can could be cut up and used. I have built heat shields in this manor before with surprising success. Its doesn't take much, you just need to the heat's "line of sight". You do need at least a thin air gap between the pipe and heat shield. If they are touching, then the heat shield wont work. 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
Ive got the pipe completely wrapped and I used a piece of hi temp heat shield (used for wrapping starters to protect them from heat) and placed it between the pipe and starter, it seemed to help. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.