Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
predatormike

Reply with quote  #1 
my predator is burning oil, I am going to definitely replace the rings and gaskets. but I don't have that much money to blow on this bike. if there is nothing wrong with the piston, there wouldn't be a problem with me keeping it in there right?

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 

My two cents: Before you start throwing parts at it, are you absolutely sure where the oil is coming from? Many times the burning oil has to do with the valve seals and not the piston rings. I would recommend pulling off the exhaust head pipe and the carburetor. From there look at the valve stems and the backsides of the valves. Check for black soot or signs of fresh oil. Many times you can just replace the valve oil seals to solve the oil burning issue. The seals are very cheap and easy to replace. No amount of new piston/rings will solve the problem if the valve oil seals are bad. If you want to check the rings, do a leak down test to confirm they are bad before replacing them. I had a quad that was burning oil once, and two different Polaris dealers said it needed rings. WRONG! It was the valve seals, which saved me a lot of time and money. 
predatormike

Reply with quote  #3 
yeah you might be right, ive owned 2 strokes my whole life so im still trying to get used to this haha.

Reply with quote  #4 
I tore mine down and changed my valve seals. No luck mine definitely is the oil ring

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #5 
If the seals are bad, the valve stems will show signs of oil. If you changed them and it still smokes, then you either have two stroke mix in your tank, or it needs rings.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.