Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #1 
I believe I have a blown head gasket. My oil looks sort of like chocolate milk and when I fired it up the first time this year there was some grey smoke coming out of the exhaust but not constantly. Before I saw my oil looking milky I thought maybe the smoke was maybe from unburn/old gas. Because I know white smoke is coolant and blueish smoke is oil, this smoke was faint but it was just grey.

The oil level has always been constantly full on the dipstick, never needed to add any oil to it.

The radiator is full and the level on the reservoir when its cold is at the ADD line. I looked in the service manual but it didn't say what the level should be when cold, only hot.

My friend has a small engine leak down tester he said I can use so I think I might start there.

I'm really trying to avoid rebuilding this engine unless its time. Would it be a hack job to just try checking the deck and replacing the head gasket before doing a rebuild? Also was going to do a new timing belt and valve adjustment while I'm in there too.

I wanted to build the engine for more power eventually just not for another few years, cash is sort of limited.

What ticks me off is I only have about 100 hrs total on this quad and I've tried to take care of it but I have a lot to learn about quad engines.

Reply with quote  #2 
As for the grey smoke, that is probably just moisture burning up if it is the first time being fired this year. Mine does the same thing after I wash it if I get some water in the pipe. As long as the radiator has coolant all the way up to the cap when it is cold, you should be fine running it at "add" in the resivior.

Before you do anything I would change the oil and see if it is still milky. If it has 100 hrs on it, I would for sure check your valve clearances and timing chain. Check those two regularly and change the oil every 10 hours and you should be fine.

As for more power I would start with a pipe and drop in filter. Post your machine and any mods you have done in your signature so we know what machine you have so we can help you out.

2005 predator 558 - falicon supercrank w/ knife rod, ss valves, 12.5:1 wiseco, hpd 558, HMF full system, uni, CFM oil tank, pro design tether, suspension work by Monster Performance, HID light kit, ODI Rouge, Kalis Racing riser, Flexx bars, razr/razr2
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
i would do an oil change first. mud and water in your oil can look like muddy oil. coolant in the oil will make it look milky. if you drain it in the pan i bet you will be able to tell the difference right away. just do not run it with that in there.

as far as the rest goes. clean and oil your air filter every other ride. if it is the stock paper filter throw it in the trash and get one you can clean and oil regularly. a gauze one or a foam one. change your oil every 10 hours of time. check and adjust your valve clearances every 40 to 50 hours. also check and or change your timing chain at 100 hours.

if it is a head gasket yes you can change it along with the base gasket and get more run time if done right. just make sure and check the valve clearances while there. while you have it torn down that far i would highly recommend changing the timing chain, and rings maybe even the piston. keep us updated we will help.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #4 
OK, thanks for the replies. Good thing I didn't tear it down too much at this point. I on;y took the front plastics, tank, and exhaust off so far. I'm going to get a new filter because mine is the stock paper filter, I checked it and it was still in good shape so I didn't replace it yet. I was thinking a K&N drop in (stock flat style)filter with a flat precharger? would I need to rejet with just the filter? Someone told me I would but that seems a little much considering I didn't get a pipe or any other mods yet.

I want to get the CFM intake but for now I think I'll only have enough money for a drop in K&N and precharger, and the valve shims so I can do my adjustment.

What do I need to check on the timing chain?

Reply with quote  #5 

Set to TDC, pull valve cover and see if dots on cam gears are where they are supposed to be, there is a thread topic here for  this. To actually check the chain, it need to come out.

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #6 
here is the timing thread.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/polaris-predator-or-outlaw-fuji-500-timing-pictures-5285719

timing chain how to

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/PREDATOR-OR-OUTLAW-500-FUJI-TIMING-CHAIN-REPLACEMENT-HOW-TO-6356426

valve adjustment thread

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/predator-valve-shim-amp-adjustment-5285497

here is the timing chain inspection from the service manual.

remove cam chain. Inspect chain for worn, missing rollers or damage. Stretch the chain tight on a flat surface 
or hang it with a wire with a 10 lb. weight. then and apply a 10 lb weight load. Measure length of a 20 pitch (pin) section of chain. Replace if worn past service limits.

Chain service limit: 5.407" (13.7 cm) 

i say if you have it out and it has 100+ hours on it replace it.

ok head torque specs and procedure is also a biggie on this engine. here is a thread for that.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/POLARIS-PREDATOR-AND-OUTLAW-500-FUJI-ENGINE-TORQUE-SPECS-5936181?highlight=timing+chain+service+limit

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #7 
 I'll get a picture of the oil in question after I drain it. Is there any additive I can add to the oil to flush any junk out of the motor? I'm sure since my quad sits a lot it would have gunk in the oil lines.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #8 
best bet for that would be changing the oil a few times while its still slightly warm so it flows out nicely

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #9 
I finally got around to changing the oil in my predator and I got some pictures of the oil and the drain plugs so hopefully you can tell me what is wrong.

I don't know if oil does this or not but when I run it a little bit and check the level it has little bubbles in it, I don't know if that is from the oil going through the return line into the tank or if its coolant.

First of my plugs looked like this:

this is the gunk I wiped off the plugs

My dipstick is clean, no film or gunk on it was looks like normal oil.

Here is my oil, it was almost ready for an oil change when I put it away for the winter so maybe it sitting all winter with dirty oil did this? It looks like it has tiny bubbles in it.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
are those bubbles green?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #11 
I don't think so but I'll check. They are really small you can see them in the pic, they are all over the oil.

Reply with quote  #12 
I don't think they are green. The oil in the bottle seems a lot less bubbly now that it has sat for a while, starting to become a bit more like normal oil now.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
it is hard to tell from a picture but i would guess it is just condensation. let it sit open overnight. moisture will evaporate coolant will not.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #14 
Nothing that came out of my engine looks like this. I know this is a view of a radiator cap but the gunk is what I'm concentrating on. Borrowed this picture.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #15 
i think you are good. i would change the oil and run it.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #16 
Let the bottle of old oil sit open? Its raining really hard here right now, will the humidity put more moisture in the bottle if I leave it open?

Reply with quote  #17 
OK, Also does the water pump make a noise when its running? I think I'm hearing the water pump, it made a sort of light knocking sort of noise since I bought it new, the noise has never changed or got worse, pretty sure its the water pump but I've never owned a liquid cooled quad or dirt bike so I'm not sure.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #18 
bring the oil inside.

not sure on the water pump noise but if it always made the noise and it is still the same run it and don't sweat it.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #19 
Sorry, I feel ashamed I don't know much about quads and I feel like I am asking really dumb questions but I honestly don't know.

Reply with quote  #20 
OK, that makes sense, the garage gets really humid but the house doesn't so that should work out fine. Yeah, I wasn't sweating the noise too much I just wanted to know because my warrior, my dad's big bear 400, my old dirt bike were all air cooled so I'm new to the liquid cooled world. I'll bring it inside and take the cap off and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #21 
no man don't sweat it. i had to ask these same kind of questions back in 2006. the o.g.'s that are on this site now schooled me then and still school me now. i learned everything i know about snowmobiles on this site from these guys in the last few months. we all learn something new everyday.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #22 
Cool I appreciate the understanding. This site is a lot more layed back than the prelude forum I admin. I have to tell people to lay of new/less experienced members constantly there.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #23 
we try hard to be just the opposite. treat people real good at first then when we gain their trust start to attack. i love to give my pals crap and i think they like to give me crap even more. keep the questions coming and we will help all we can.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Darren's predator 500

Reply with quote  #24 
I figured as much,lol.

My oil is looking more normal every time I check on it. I think the bubbles were either air from the oil being sloshed around returning to the tank or moisture from sitting all winter.

Reply with quote  #25 
Great news! My old oil looks completely normal, dirty but normal,lol. I'm going to put the new oil in, put some new gas in and see how it works. I have to wait until I have a day off so I can start the quad and not have the neighbors mad at me. I get off work at 11 or 12 at night usually so that isn't an option.

Reply with quote  #26 
Hey guys im new to this page and needing some help i think i may have water in my oil.when i drain the the oil tank it looks a little milky and a few bubbles in the oil but when i drain the crank case the oil looks fresh like new any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2017-02-19 10.05.06.png, Views: 45, Size: 830.25 KB 

Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #27 
I can only really add this , Predators aren't really known for blowing head gaskets , they are known to crack cylinders when they are bored past 105mm (big Bore ) the heads are known for cracking in the intake IF the head was ported on a 03 head only (casting stamped 01 02 if I remember correctly) so unless the engine has a big bore bigger then 105 and porting , those would not be a problem on a STOCK BORE or stock cylinder head . I have had a water pump seal go bad before but when that happens the weep hole under the pump will drip , so if you suppect water in the oil the first thing id check is that weep hole . make sure its no plugged with dirt and see if coolant comes out there.
The last thing id like to add is if you have a cracked cylinder or bad head gasket the coolant will be pushed out the overflow bottle from the engine compression adding pressure to the coolant system. Found out first hand  LEARNED THAT the expensive way (cracked cylinder)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.