Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
predatormike

Reply with quote  #1 
both of my exhaust valves bent while trying to start my predator with the timing wrong. the valves are stuck open and i cant get the buckets off. not sure what to do. and also can any one give any recommendations on where to buy the new valves or what kind.

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 

Man, that really sucks - sorry to hear that. After installing a timing chain, always pull the spark plug and carefully roll the motor over by hand to make sure the valves don't hit the piston.

To get your buckets off, here are a few things you can try:
  •   Large magnet (preferred method)
  •   Clean surface with brake cleaner, then super glue a bolt to the bucket 
  •   Vacuum pump of some sort 
  •   Might be able to use compressed air - may damage the valve oil seals 
  Once you get the buckets off, you may run into trouble getting the valve keepers out of there if everything is compressed. One step at a time though.... Be careful, you don't want to force the valve closed and cause further damage to the valve guides. Having the valves done requires having the head machined. The valve guides need to be checked, the head needs to be resurfaced, and the valve seats need to be cut. I would recommend going with KibbleWhite valves, as they have a good reputation- I have used them before, and they seemed to work fine. People will have different opinions on what valves to use. Your total cost of rebuilding the head will be around $500 if you reuse your old springs. Make sure that they set the head up so that you are on the thicker side of the shim scale. If they rebuild the whole head in a way that the shims are super thin, then your whole valve job was a waste of time and money because you wont be able to re-shim it later. 

One way to save a lot of time and a little money is to buy a used head from eBay, or from one of the guys on this site. You could post a "Wanted" ad on this site, and I bet someone would have one to sell. Only disadvantage is that the head would be used rather than freshly rebuilt. By default, I usually install new valve oil seals on any used head prior to installing it.

ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #3 

Having the head done locally will probably be very expensive unless you get lucky and find the right place. 

I went through this guy once (link below, labor quote only - parts not included). It took 2 months, the price was above the original estimate, and the shims were paper thin when I got it back. Not a great experience for me, but I think it was just bad luck. He has a good reputation, and has the tools to do the job. Plus he knows where to get the valves. So that would be one option. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-PREDATOR-500-HEAD-PORTING-500-OUTLAW-/370860036940?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5658fb134c&vxp=mtr

If it were me I would probably buy this eBay head, after verifying part compatibility. (assuming no one on this site had one for sale at a competitive price)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-Polaris-Outlaw-500-Complete-Cylinder-Head-Cams-Camshafts-/161480692156?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2598ffd1bc&vxp=mtr
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.