Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
shamrock246

Reply with quote  #1 
When doing some winter maintence I had the quad standing on end.I noticed it looked to be leaning slightly to one side (chain side)and the gap between the rear tire and the heel guard are a good inch different from one side to the other (chain side being closer) and if I measure from the foot peg to the bottom of the rear shock there is a difference of 3/4"between the chain side and brake side the chain side being closer. I'm assuming this wasn't done on purpose? Should I look into having it straitened? Who does these things the dealer? Maybe it would be easier just to get a used one I've seen some on ebay for a little less than half the price of a new one.

Anybody got a frame they want to sell

08 Outlaw 525 IRS,grease fitting mod on the rebuilt rear,grease fitting mod on steering system,grease fitting mod on front hubs,UNI airfilter

2013 Outlaw 90 (son's) UNI airfilter,grease fitting mod to SRA housing 
Rkangel

Reply with quote  #2 
Was it wrecked or rolled? 
Dealers don't have frame jigs or pullers, so there would likely be a lot of labor.  Any time our shop encounters a bent frame we recommend replacment vs. repair.  With the typical labor rates you'd probably be better off and money ahead getting another frame.  Just 3-6 hours of shop time would be enough to buy a new frame.

Reply with quote  #3 
I've had my KTM frame straightened simply because of the cost of those frames.  It came out better than it went in, but it still wasn't perfect.  Bending a frame tweaks it in very complex angles which frame straightening rigs can never completely get out.  It will also be weaker once you bend it back.

I'd get a new frame and then have it powdered your choice of colors to stand out from the crowd since it's apart.

Or, just keep driving it and hit something with the other side.  [smile]

Reply with quote  #4 
I hate reading posts like this... it makes be have to go out an measure mine to be sure its straight. lol

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Not sure if you bought this bike new or used, but let me
throw this out there.....Was there any time you had to
do a massive chain adjustment ??  if it's off, like you say
it is, that chain would have had massive slack after a
hard hit, and tweaked in that direction. 3/4" difference
means one and a half inches of chain.

I'd get out a good straight edge and see which way those
rear tires are pointing. All the frame tubes in the back are
straight runs, so you can check each one for straightness.
Lay a straight edge on top of each and their sides. Should
give you a basic clue what's going on......Also don't rule
out a broke rear a-arm and it's pivot mount.

Reply with quote  #6 
I've had a few nasty crashes with the KTMs and my scrambler over the years that have resulted in bent frames.  If you want to get it straightened, a good auto-body shop can do it, that's who has done mine in the past.  You have to do a LOT of measuring to make sure things are right afterwards, and the bigger problem is, you MUST re-enforce the frame afterwards as well.  

Even having done so, you will probably find cracks later from the stresses you imparted on it when you bent it back.  I've toyed with the idea of having my entire 2008 frame annealed because it has been bent and straightened twice, then gusseted the second time it was bent back straight.  Trouble is, from there on I seem to crack it significantly about once a year.  I bought a new frame to build my 2015 race bike from.  The plan was to re-check the '08 frame, then put it in the attic as a spare.  Maybe that would be a good thing to have done... If you have the whole thing annealed then re-heat-treated, I imagine you could get rid of all the stress that you put in it bending it back. 

2009 KTM 450XC
2009 KTM 250XC
2005 Predator 558 (project)
2003 Cannondale 440 (project)
2006 KLX 250S
2002 Scrambler X 500
Sold, crashed, or otherwise gone: 2008 YFZ450, 2005 Predator 500 LE, 2007 Outlaw 525, 2003 Cannondale 440
shamrock246

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the advice guy's I got a used frame that looks to be in real good condition off of ebay and will start moving my parts over to it this weekend. With the quad standing on end I ran a plumb bob from the front of the frame to the back it doesn't go strait down the frame and if I measure from a fixed point to each rear shock tower those measurements are off by almost the same amount as the swing arm measurements and the swing arms look to be even. The only time I had a lot of slack in the chain was when my rear bearings were starting to fail after fixing them and doing the grease fitting mod that slack went away but I did notice that the chain adjustment was always in the last 25% of the adjustment range but didn't think anything of it since it has a D.I.D. aftermarket chain. I'm not the original owner that would be my neighbor who bought it new and I only know of one time he wiped out and it bent his steering stem and handle bars who knows it could have kart wheeled down a hill and bent then he used to ride it in the coal fields in PA and my skills are no where near good enough to do any damage to it

08 Outlaw 525 IRS,grease fitting mod on the rebuilt rear,grease fitting mod on steering system,grease fitting mod on front hubs,UNI airfilter

2013 Outlaw 90 (son's) UNI airfilter,grease fitting mod to SRA housing 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.